Premed 101 Forums

Office for Mac

psychoswim

For those of you with Mac's, are there compatibility issues with docx and xlsx files between Windows and OS X with the more recent versions of Office? As in will templates, tables, etc look the same/be formatted the same way on both platforms? Seems there are less issues than there was before, so what's your experience? I'm still deciding what laptop to buy between a Vaio and the Pro and my preference is Windows, but I'm not opposed to trying OS X (yeah I know you can run Windows on Mac) if it's perfectly compatible with Office.. Thanks!

I find that with Office 2011, things work quite well since the docx file ext. is still maintained with this version for Macs. I think that Microsoft calls it "2011" but really what it is a prettier version of 07' for Linux and more Microsoft Live capabilities, such as editing the document via cloud (MS Live). But so far everything looks the same, and sending back and forth between windows users isn't much of a problem.

Generally my experience has been very positive. It got a bit of taking used to overall in the beginning, since some of the buttons and shortcuts that I was used to are in different locations in the "ribbon". Outlook is now quite fast, and doesn't have some of the bugs that plagued the MS 07' outlook. However, one thing that does suck is that you can't sync google calendar with the new outlook. Powerpoint and Word are slow when you're running them side-by-side, so you might want to consider more RAM - especially if you're like me and you keep a gazillion windows open from document to document.

Overall, I switched two years ago and although there are things that I think could be improved with a mac, it's generally quite a productivity-centered computer that can last you a while. The switchover wasn't bad, and doesn't take someone a long time to get used to. If you have the money, spend it but if you like switching laptops every two years or so I would go with Windows. Also if you like to play games....dear god never buy a mac.

Thanks Mac! I'm leaning towards the Vaio because it has a much better screen resolution and is lighter but still considering the Pro. And no games so that's no problem. Also I don't use Outlook so that's good. People I work with on the docx documents all run Windows so nice to see it wouldn't be an issue. Also I'm not really worried about getting used to a different OS as I ran Linux for years before.

Thanks Mac! I'm leaning towards the Vaio because it has a much better screen resolution and is lighter but still considering the Pro. And no games so that's no problem. Also I don't use Outlook so that's good. People I work with on the docx documents all run Windows so nice to see it wouldn't be an issue. Also I'm not really worried about getting used to a different OS as I ran Linux for years before.

Yeah I really only recommend the Macbook Pro if you have the money. Warranty, cover case, Lion update, and the software are all very expensive. It's hard to *cough* obtain *cough* software from the net for macs as well. Weight is an issue with the 15' which is the one I use, so the Vaio would be a nice difference, especially if you have to carry other books with you. And if your hardware is good enough, you can run Lion *shrugs* but I think 7 is decent. I only worry about Windows 8 though...

Yeah I really only recommend the Macbook Pro if you have the money. Warranty, cover case, Lion update, and the software are all very expensive. It's hard to *cough* obtain *cough* software from the net for macs as well. Weight is an issue with the 15' which is the one I use, so the Vaio would be a nice difference, especially if you have to carry other books with you. And if your hardware is good enough, you can run Lion *shrugs* but I think 7 is decent. I only worry about Windows 8 though...

Thanks again. I think I'm going to get the Vaio.. it's 13" but 1600x900 res vs 1280x800. I really like Win 7, won't be installing Win 8 until I see how it really looks like... I haven't looked much at previews but what I've seen hasn't impressed me much. XP - good, Vista -crap, Win 7 - good, Win 8 - crap?

Thanks again. I think I'm going to get the Vaio.. it's 13" but 1600x900 res vs 1280x800. I really like Win 7, won't be installing Win 8 until I see how it really looks like... I haven't looked much at previews but what I've seen hasn't impressed me much. XP - good, Vista -crap, Win 7 - good, Win 8 - crap?

Yah I would stick to Windows. Maybe they'll come up with an updated office for 7, so this would be your best choice :)

Hope that helps!

Archived