Premed 101 Forums

Electronic Medical Records Software

tooty

I'm curious to know what your opinions are of the EMR softwares out in the primary care setting. I've used Jonoke and Wolf and found problems with both. Wolf, in particular, could use a lot of improvement in my humble opinion. It somehow made it to #4 in this website's ranking list. http://www.canadianemr.ca/ Makes me wonder about how efficient the #1 spot is.

What were your experiences?

I'm curious to know what your opinions are of the EMR softwares out in the primary care setting. I've used Jonoke and Wolf and found problems with both. Wolf, in particular, could use a lot of improvement in my humble opinion. It somehow made it to #4 in this website's ranking list. Makes me wonder about how efficient the #1 spot is.

What were your experiences?

Frustrating - as a computer programmer they drive me nuts right now. They don't work the way they should - they are merely document repositories rather than full onset intelligent systems. Oh well, one day they will get there :)

My Aboriginal Health Access Center uses Health Screen, which I despise. They have been bought out by another company and are no longer releasing new updates. One of those programs that the software manufacturer promised the world, promised it was customizable to whatever you wanted and it wasnt so! lies, lies I tell you :) My organization will be going to Nightengale which seems superior in all ways to Health Screen (HS practise?). There probably is a reason why it isnt on the top ten list ... LOL ...

Not in primary care but in Long term care setting I have used a couple of EMRs; Medicare and Point Click Care ... and by far PCC is superior.

Which ones have you used Rob?

And what's the pricing range of these EMR programs? I'm afraid to find out how much our clinic pays for wolf. I might vomit.

You probably would - the one I was just looking at a community gen surg practise when you do that math was probably 30-40K when you factor in everything. It was just a little bit crazy!

we use power chart at western mostly.

I've used healthscreen too--hate it. At Queen's we switched to OSCAR--open source from McMaster and basically free but it has an awful interface. It mostly works, and you get used to it, but it definitely has shortcomings.

My favorite so far is Practice Solutions from the CMA. It has these automated stamps that you can customize so things like referral letters can be made with all of the Meds, PMHx, Allergies, etc. within seconds--it's all pulled from the appropriate boxes. The only thing is that it goes down a lot and it gets really frustrating.

No perfect EMR exists, from the sound of it.

Archived