Premed 101 Forums

How important is medical school ranking?

As title states, how important, in your opinion, would you say ranking is? If you could provide concrete applications of your thoughts, that'd be great.

i.e. Some schools are more internationally-acclaimed than others. When you apply for residencies or placements outside of Canada, if those schools recognize your school name, they might be more inclined to take you in. OR

Ranking doesn't mean much. All Canadian med schools are great. Even if one ranks higher than the other, the differences will be so small that they'd be almost negligible. Besides, either way you come out as doctors.

I'd appreciate more inputs!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having interviewed South of the border and in Canada, there are only two universities known around the world, University of Toronto and McGill, and for very good reason (as below). Sometimes I am surprised as to why Canadians don't know how great our universities are :)

That's not the impression I got at the Ivy Leagues and top American schools... Everyone knows about McGill, U of T and UBC are known to a slight degree, and the rest were totally unknown to my interviewers.

And in any case I don't know if international rankings are at all trustworthy. The US medical school rankings, which are actually semi-decently trustworthy (to a limited degree, of course) doesn't correlate at all with the trash that Times Higher Education or whatever puts out every year. And not to disparage McMaster when I say that a ranking that puts McMaster far above UBC for research (forgot which ranking, but it's there) makes no sense and has no credibility whatsoever.

As a rural community doctor, I'm prettyyyy sure people are going to be caring more about whether you can actually save lives, not what school you graduated from. Which should really be true for everywhere else, but it's not.

Out of curiousity, does anyone even know where their GP studied? I don't lol.

I guess one can always check on CPSO (or their equivalent provincial organization) if they are that inclined and have nothing better to do with their life. Some doctors also hang their credentials in their offices.

As someone has already mentioned: UofT > all.

Even if it isn't so, the amount of applications that place gets and the responses on this forum seems to suggest that it's true! :P

UofT!

My GP in Kingston when to UofO.

Even if it isn't so, the amount of applications that place gets and the responses on this forum seems to suggest that it's true! :P

if that was true then since York seems to generate the most amount of activity on this forum of all schools in Canada therefore must be in the uber elite class which is well above U of T's paltry activity by comparison lol

:P

In all seriousness, there is a real answer to this question.

The best ranked school is the University of Toronto and the best program is obviously the MD/PhD program. I wouldn't really bother applying to anything else....:P

From all the physicians I've worked with and have had discussions with on this topic, have told me that school reputation doesn't matter unless you want to get into a super competitive residency or program i.e. radiology at Harvard or something like that. Or if you are coming from "Surf University Medical School" or something, perhaps that might count too...

In all seriousness, there is a real answer to this question.

The best ranked school is the University of Toronto and the best program is obviously the MD/PhD program. I wouldn't really bother applying to anything else....:P

From all the physicians I've worked with and have had discussions with on this topic, have told me that school reputation doesn't matter unless you want to get into a super competitive residency or program i.e. radiology at Harvard or something like that. Or if you are coming from "Surf University Medical School" or something, perhaps that might count too...

But would you apply to NOSM?

tampon.jpg

[/b][/b]

I know that Mac is getting quite famous. Every med applicant who has ever suffered through the wraith of MMI now South of the border now has one more reason to say that Canada sucks :P (true story btw....met a bunch of them who interviewed at Duke/UC schools which just turned MMI this year)

Yeah I read a while back that their basketball team is the 3rd or 4th team in North America to get sponsored by Nike. Things are definitely hot right now in Mac town.

That **** is pretty ****ing impressive.

Archived