Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Notes or Cecil's Medicine?

Hi All,

Any current PA students have any info one these two texts. They are on our booklist to get. But I know you can also get them both online.

I know it is personal preference, but it's great to take into consideration others opinions, too.

And so with that, what do you prefer and why: Toronto Notes or Cecil's Medicine, or both? And do you prefer the online editions or the actual textbook?

Thanks for the help!

Hi All,

Any current PA students have any info one these two texts. They are on our booklist to get. But I know you can also get them both online.

I know it is personal preference, but it's great to take into consideration others opinions, too.

And so with that, what do you prefer and why: Toronto Notes or Cecil's Medicine, or both? And do you prefer the online editions or the actual textbook?

Thanks for the help!

They are completely different types of books. Toronto Notes is a review book and Cecil's is a medicine text. I have them both and use them for different purposes.

Thanks for your insight! Shows how little I know :( Will be staring in September (UofM)!

Good luck! The internet is a great resource and I am sure you will be able to use it to access lots of online texts/sites through your school's licensing (access medicine, uptodate, etc., etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

If you are starting at UofM, Cecils is useful for the Year long Adult Medicine courses. Toronto notes is a quick reference resource that highlights the need to know items but little if any physiology. The pocket toronto notes is very helpful for clinical rotations as it fits in your white coat nicely. Good Luck!

UofM MPAS Class of 2011

If you are starting at UofM, Cecils is useful for the Year long Adult Medicine courses. Toronto notes is a quick reference resource that highlights the need to know items but little if any physiology. The pocket toronto notes is very helpful for clinical rotations as it fits in your white coat nicely. Good Luck!

UofM MPAS Class of 2011

Hi JazzHands

I was reading your post and saw that you are a graduate of the MPAS at U of M. Do you mind telling us your experience with the program and how you were able to find a job after graduating. I was also curious if it is necessary to have a laptop/tablet during the first year courses.

Any advice is appreciated. :D

Thanks

Hey Pearl...Yes, I finished the MPAS at UofM August 2011! I was the second cohort so it went through some bumps here and there but overall a very good program. I have 16 years previous exp as a nurse which was a very helpful foundation. The first year is theory, hard sciences with clinical early exposure. The second year is clinical rotations mimicing the med 3 clerks schedule and a capstone paper and presentation that is publishable quality. You can find the information on the University of Manitoba website under Graduate programs.

They accept 10-12 applicants yearly and I have formed lasting friendships from the program. In Manitoba PAs are regulated through the CPSM and we write the national certification exam with CAPA. Our entire graduating class had employment offers immediately.

Have you applied, been accepted or just considering the program?

Hope that helps!

Hey Pearl...Yes, I finished the MPAS at UofM August 2011! I was the second cohort so it went through some bumps here and there but overall a very good program. I have 16 years previous exp as a nurse which was a very helpful foundation. The first year is theory, hard sciences with clinical early exposure. The second year is clinical rotations mimicing the med 3 clerks schedule and a capstone paper and presentation that is publishable quality. You can find the information on the University of Manitoba website under Graduate programs.

They accept 10-12 applicants yearly and I have formed lasting friendships from the program. In Manitoba PAs are regulated through the CPSM and we write the national certification exam with CAPA. Our entire graduating class had employment offers immediately.

Have you applied, been accepted or just considering the program?

Hope that helps!

Hello,

Yes I have been accepted for this September :D. I want to get as much information as I can so I can be prepared.

Thank you for the information. I'm super excited and I can't wait to start the program! Also do you have any insight information about the job prospects in Winnipeg or in rural Manitoba? Did you find it hard to find a job? Did you find you had to explain your profession to your patients.

Sorry for asking more questions. Its hard to find past students and current PAs.

Hey Congrats!

I can totally understand all the questions you have now at the start of your journey! It can feel like volume overload-but don't worry, it will all fall into place day by day.

As far as job prospects for the following cohorts, I don't know that information. What happened for our cohort is we met with the regional health authority and mb health regularly for updates on employer interest in the PA. I can tell you there are many rural jobs still posted and available in Manitoba. Urban centre positions filled quickly. It wasn't hard at all to find a job and had my choice with multiple interviews.

There are a large number of military PAs and Cl.As in Manitoba. Civilian PA students have been in the medical system since 2009, so by the time I did my clinical clerkship, the title wasn't so foreign. Doctors know by far the most, nurses second. I describe it like a resident that doesn't leave.

I would always introduce myself with my title with a brief oneliner and then if the patient had a question I would explain a little more. At the end of the day, patients are just glad that they are being seen and cared for and enjoy knowing that PAs are medical staff alongside the docs. I changed my description to more medical lingo when talking to staff who were new to the title.

I hope that helps! For the first year, I wouldn't worry about jobs but focus on keeping your sanity and absorbing everything ;) In year 2, you will meet teams and network on your rotations and decide what service is best for you.

Enjoy your summer!

Archived