Premed 101 Forums

Length of IM Residency

Well it's more useful and less expansive to have a well trained GIM in a community hospital than a cardiologist, a gastroenterologist, a respirologist, etc.

It has been 5 years for a long time in quebec and the compensation of GIM is competitive to IM subspecialties (except for cardio and GI of course)

GI will not go up. Your base IM training will still be 3 years, followed by whatever subspecialty you want to do (GIM now being 2 years instead of 1).

I really hope they don't extend GIM to 5 years. I know they have some programs that are now 5 but you can still get a license with only 4, as +1 programs still exist.

GI will not go up. Your base IM training will still be 3 years, followed by whatever subspecialty you want to do (GIM now being 2 years instead of 1).

I really hope they don't extend GIM to 5 years. I know they have some programs that are now 5 but you can still get a license with only 4, as +1 programs still exist.

There's this tendency in the US to have short residencies but trust me GIM is better off with 5 years. Why? Because a lot of GIMs work in community hospitals and have to master advanced techniques (GI endoscopies, bronchoscopies, echocardiography etc) that they can learn in their 5th year. Those working in university centers act mostly as hospitalists and have their own outpatient clientele but they have a key role in teaching. Last year, GIM went from 5 to 4 years in Quebec, with the option of doing a 5th year. Most of the residents chose to do the 5th year (and I'm talking about an actual PGY5, not a fellowship).

There's this tendency in the US to have short residencies but trust me GIM is better off with 5 years. Why? Because a lot of GIMs work in community hospitals and have to master advanced techniques (GI endoscopies, bronchoscopies, echocardiography etc) that they can learn in their 5th year. Those working in university centers act mostly as hospitalists and have their own outpatient clientele but they have a key role in teaching. Last year, GIM went from 5 to 4 years in Quebec, with the option of doing a 5th year. Most of the residents chose to do the 5th year (and I'm talking about an actual PGY5, not a fellowship).

That's a good point. I know lots of GIMs in Canada who do extra procedures and it was mostly on the job training. I'd prefer that way, but only if I can learn it safely and properly.

I don't know any GIM docs that do endoscopy or bronchocopy; maybe some do echocardiography. Holter interpretation, stress tests, that sort of thing I'm well aware of, but not invasive procedures (how many internists are comfortable intubating a patient if a bronch goes wrong?). The 2 year GIM programs are at university hospitals, so I wouldn't expect a lot of training doing those kinds of procedures; there are usually many fellows and subspecialty residents lining up for them first.

I don't know any GIM docs that do endoscopy or bronchocopy; maybe some do echocardiography. Holter interpretation, stress tests, that sort of thing I'm well aware of, but not invasive procedures (how many internists are comfortable intubating a patient if a bronch goes wrong?). The 2 year GIM programs are at university hospitals, so I wouldn't expect a lot of training doing those kinds of procedures; there are usually many fellows and subspecialty residents lining up for them first.

Intensivists do bronchoscopy at the bedside, but as a corollary, how many gastroenterologists are comfortable intubating a patient who's gotten too much sedation in the endoscopy suite?

I think ensuring more technical skills among generalists is key - and internists in the community need to be able to place central lines and presumably deal with their complications.

Maybe it was an exception then, but at one of the big hospitals of my medical school, there were 2 GIM who scoped (GI). Where I did my rural family med rotation, one of the GIM performed brochoscopies.

Archived