Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS published work

Hi all,

I am going to be applying this fall to all the Ontario schools and I was wondering if there is an option to update your application after the october deadline? I am curious about this because I am submitting a paper by the end of september and it will likely be published around november (after all the revisions and such). I want to somehow include this paper in my application:) Thanks!

I am not 100% sure about OMSAS, but (as an example) U of T allows graduate students to update their portfolios as long as their file hasn't been reviewed yet (I believe). I think if you are an undergrad you are out of luck and I think for the U of T grad thing you go directly through them not OMSAS. As for the paper, you can definitely put that you have submitted it in your application which will definitely count for something (better than nothing).

Submissions are not publications and do not count. Mention it in your Essay. Many applicants have changes after applying, but the rules are enforced for fairness to all.
You can't be 100% sure about this statement, since schools don't publically disclose how they evaluate the ABS.

May people put submissions under the publication section of the OMSAS app. It's most likely that it doesn't hurt to do so.

When will you know whether your submission has been accepted for publication? If you find out it is earlier you can just say "forthcoming". I also see no reason why it could not be on your ABS. Obviously it will not have as much punch as if it is published.

After speaking with my supervisor I am now thinking of submitting it a bit earlier (probably sept 15) and she said it typically takes about a month before we know whether or not it has been accepted. Hopefully the review process happens faster:p

Even if you don't get it published on time you should still put it in your sketch. I did it this past cycle with a project I was working on last August and it's still not published yet due to issues unrelated to me. It's much better to say you did something, it's just not done yet than saying you did nothing

Submissions are not publications and do not count. Mention it in your Essay. Many applicants have changes after applying, but the rules are enforced for fairness to all.

wtf?

For sure put it in your OMSAS application and in the description put it down as a submission pending approval for publication. When it comes time for your interview if you've actually been published then definitely feel free to bring up the fact that it has indeed been published when/if they ask about it at schools that would care (UoT).

Archived