Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Gen Surg

It was definitely partly not ranking enough people.

And, to be blunt, suggesting that this has anything to do with avoiding "nutcases" is pretty much beyond the pale. Completely uncalled for and insulting, and I can tell you that in at least one case they didn't rank someone because this person had done some medicine electives and so seemed "less committed".

And, to be blunt, suggesting that this has anything to do with avoiding "nutcases" is pretty much beyond the pale. Completely uncalled for and insulting, and I can tell you that in at least one case they didn't rank someone because this person had done some medicine electives and so seemed "less committed".

You're right. Very good applicants get turned down in the Carms process, it's very random sometimes. However, there are very strong applicants who are indeed nutcases and they go unmatched or don't match to their program of choice. It's definitely one of the reasons why a program doesn't rank everyone. While my statement might seem harsh and even insulting, it's very true. Stark, we've both been through the match, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

wow not ranking a candidate in their list because he did some medicine electives is wrong in so many ways... if I were a PD I would choose a balanced candidate strong in every aspects of medicine, not only one

I get that they've become competitive nowadays but let's not get ahead of here.. They're still no rads ophtho or derm..

Our system is retarded. Programs aren't ranking applicants because they diversified their electives? Yet the schools and undergrad medicine people are humming and hawing about mandatory elective diversification?

This is what happens when smart, pragmatic people are turned off by the academic environment: the relative halfwits and self-aggrandizers are left over to make the rules.

Guess this stands as a lesson to new applicants: pick one thing, go for it like mad, and backup with family, path, psych etc. - fields whose only requirement for entry is carbon dioxide production.

If I hear the term undifferentiated medical student one at a time I think I might snap :)

Seriously - once your hit at the latest mid 3rd year almost everyone is aligning themselves like laser beams for whatever they hope to get. Of course a lot of people start way, way earlier than that.

Does anyone have some insider info on this program? I was surprised to see one spot unmatched at the end of round 1 this year - anybody know why? Because they ranked too few? Or is it becoming unpopular?

They ranked 10 candidates last year (clerical error), hence the one unmatched spot. They are definitely NOT getting unpopular for damn sure.

It was definitely partly not ranking enough people.

Stark, how can you know that this was their motive? Are you in the know at Calgary? Is that where you are now?

I happen to be extremely interested in this program specifically and would love to obtain as much information as I can!

I indeed also did a couple o medicine electives early on but it is clear from my resume that I am an all out gen surg keener.

Stark, how can you know that this was their motive? Are you in the know at Calgary? Is that where you are now?

I happen to be extremely interested in this program specifically and would love to obtain as much information as I can!

I indeed also did a couple o medicine electives early on but it is clear from my resume that I am an all out gen surg keener.

Id also like to know how Stark determined that.

PM me if you want to know a bit more detail.

Even so, pretty much the only ways a program can end up with unmatched spots in the first round is not to rank enough applicants or - if the program is especially undesirable - not to be ranked by enough. I don't think the latter applies here.

Archived