Premed 101 Forums

anyone receive a waitlist letter yet

Guest anbit

Guest anbit

hey all,

just wondering if anyone from calgary has received a letter saying that you're on the waitlist yet??? I believe they were sent out on Monday...but haven't seen anything on the forum yet about anyone receiving one

Thanks

Guest razanoor

I got mine yesterday May 17..i live in Edmonton. Just wondering if we are all talking about the same thing...mine says you are on alternate candidate list and only a limited number are put on that list and I have to sign and say that I want to stay on that list. Anyone know how big is that list? I am reading that other schools are putting pretty much everyone on their waitlists...

Guest smokeydx

Hi,

Ya I got that letter. Didn't receive any emails. I don't know how many are on it. I wish I knew too. lol.

Cheers,

Guest razanoor

Hi smokeydx,

thanks...I didn't receive any emails about it either. It just showed up in the mail. I asked Andrea about how many people might be on this list but she didn't say anything except that if they go to their waiting list, I should hopefully hear some good news...that gives me some hope...at least better that others who are putting everyone on the waitlist.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I understand that in past years the UofA waitlist has been small - not much more than 20, if that. Good luck!

Guest medsmurf

Got my waitlist letter today. I will most likely decline though if I get an offer but I'm keeping my name on the list for now since I'm still trying to make the tough decision.

Guest konverse

hey y'all

konverse here

so when i didn't receive an email on monday, depression set in pretty quickly :\ , but then yesterday i found an Alternate Candidates Letter in the mailbox :) ! woohoo we're still alive! :hat

so what's the general consensus here -- are we waitlistees' hanging on by a thread?

can anyone <current/previous applicants> offer insights and opinions in terms of waitlist movement?

i had a look through the Canadian Admissions 2006 Booklet and it appears that 70 odd students declined their offers to the UofA last year? Does that mean they accepted 70 alternate candidates? Hmmm... it seems kinda high to me but what do i know.

anyway -- let's all keep the energy flowing here!

Guest razanoor

does everyone's alternate candidate letter say that "only a limited number of applicants are put on alternate candidate list? Mine says that...How limited is this number?

Guest summervirus

I don't think anyone knows the exact number except the people in the admissions office of how many people are on the waiting list. But, something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the fact that there are multiple waiting lists: one for applicants with 4 or more years of schooling and another list for 2nd/3rd year applicants. I suspect the list isn't that long because I know of people who weren't on the waiting list but have eventually been accepted into med after the original waiting list had been exhausted.

Guest konverse

and possibly within each group of waitlists, one for IP and OOP?

so what do we feel people, are the chances for us, good?

Guest razanoor

one of my med school friends also told me that u of a waitlists are usally small...around 20 to 25 but when he got in around 3 years ago, very few people declined U of A offers so maybe that's why waitlist was small...two years ago, 71 people declined so they may have changed their numbers....Can any 1st or 2nd year med student shed some light here?

thanks for the encouraging info summervirus...the people you mentioned in your post here, which year did they get in?

Guest summervirus

I know of people that got in after initially being told they were rejected. One of them is now finishing 2nd year.

Guest anbit

hey medsmurf do you live in calgary??

just wanna check if letters have reached calgary from edm

ps. why can't they just e-mail everyone about their status on the 15th!!! having us wait and check the mail everyday to see if its over or if we still have a chance is so..ugh !!

Guest juicyprunes

Hi y'all,

I spoke to someone at admissions who said that waitlist letters will continue to be sent out next Tuesday. Rejection letters won't be sent out until May 29 (or so).

Good luck :)

Guest sunshine1084

Any idea when the waitlist starts moving? Perhaps June 5? I was hoping to hear from U of A first, cause it's my first choice...

And one more question -- do they call you or email you?

Guest smokeydx

I think its safe to assume that we will hear after the deadline for those accepted. But I really do hope they will start moving it earlier >.<

Guest razanoor

When I talked to Andrea, I got the impression that the next round will start after this first deadline....so June 5 I guess. I hope they would do it earlier though.

Archived