Premed 101 Forums

August 23rd MCAT - moral support and WS tips?

Jaybird

Hey guys, writing a week from now, still have 3 more practice tests (2 TPR, 1 AAMC) to go through, sort of losing it :eek: I just wrote an 11/11/11 on my last TPR practice exam, and I feel like that's okay for Canadian schools, but not amazing? Also, if anyone has WS tips...much appreciated, it's probably the section I'm least confident for right now :D

Good luck to everyone else frantically preparing!

Hey guys, writing a week from now, still have 3 more practice tests (2 TPR, 1 AAMC) to go through, sort of losing it :eek: I just wrote an 11/11/11 on my last TPR practice exam, and I feel like that's okay for Canadian schools, but not amazing? Also, if anyone has WS tips...much appreciated, it's probably the section I'm least confident for right now :D

Good luck to everyone else frantically preparing!

Oh, don't worry, that's arguably the least important section of the MCAT. :) Have you been doing practice essays? Just have a stock of examples on hand, ones that can apply to a wide variety of prompts. I tend to use Martin Luther King, Barack Obama, Jack Layton/Stephen Harper, etc repeatedly for many prompts.

Your scores look great as well. I'm sure you'll rock your MCAT :D

Really? I'm hoping for Queen's, and apparently they have a hard cutoff at R for WS? Well, any school taking me will be a victory, so that's not a big problem, haha...

I've been doing 2 practice essays a day, just need to get used to the format of the MCAT's essays and I'll be good. Remembering example is a good idea, I'll have to do that.

For anyone who's used TPR practice exams - how did they compare with the actual MCAT? I've heard they're harder, generally?

Really? I'm hoping for Queen's, and apparently they have a hard cutoff at R for WS? Well, any school taking me will be a victory, so that's not a big problem, haha...

I've been doing 2 practice essays a day, just need to get used to the format of the MCAT's essays and I'll be good. Remembering example is a good idea, I'll have to do that.

For anyone who's used TPR practice exams - how did they compare with the actual MCAT? I've heard they're harder, generally?

For the past few years, people have gotten in with a Q on the WS (check the Queen's forum). Also supposedly they are using a flexible MCAT cut off this year, so don't worry about it.

Sweet, thanks a lot Db, puts my heart to rest on the WS section somewhat :P my VR performance is weirdly poor, though...tested a 13/9/12 today, when Verbal was my highest score consistently when I wrote the SATs...so far my record for VR is 10, 11, 9...strange.

I wrote 10 before starting studying hardcore and I also found it pretty easy. The TPR tests ran my sheet though. Off topic but, does anyone know if we're allowed to bring gum into the exam room?

As long as it's in your mouth being chewed, I think so :P the TPR exams were harder then the AAMC exams? Well, that's...a bit of relief...

I found TPR being focused more on knowledge, and AAMC more on analysis...

AAMC11 was closest to the real one for me, and it was like 80-90% analysis + basic knowledge essentially...

For WS, my tip is USE THE MOST CURRENT EXAMPLE YOU CAN FIND!

I think this shows that you are actually keeping up with the news.. I got an S on my writing sample, and I used the boson particle in one of the essays (I wrote the test on Friday, and I saw the news on TV on Wednesday I think lol)

• 1 month later...

I guess I'll start with my score for Aug. 23 MCAT

Got 12/11/13 but received an O on WS. Pretty bummed out about WS but hopefully it is not weighed too heavily.

I believe I don't meet the queen's WS cut-off but does anyone know if it is a hard cutoff, i.e. do they overlook a bad WS or my application is automatically denied?

That's ****ty about the WS - though aren't med schools not caring about WS any more after it's phased out next year? Either way, American schools are definitely still an option considering they never cared about WS haha.

If we're sharing scores...14/14/14/ S. Yeah, I was pretty amazed too, thought I would get a 12 at most in my best section(s).

That's ****ty about the WS - though aren't med schools not caring about WS any more after it's phased out next year? Either way, American schools are definitely still an option considering they never cared about WS haha.

If we're sharing scores...14/14/14/ S. Yeah, I was pretty amazed too, thought I would get a 12 at most in my best section(s).

Very nice!

Well rounded and high, great job!

Wowzers. Congrats. Can you share any tips on what your study method was? What books did you use, which practice tests did you do, how long did you study for (How many hours/day for how many weeks/months), or any other helpful tips. Thanks!

Wowzers. Congrats. Can you share any tips on what your study method was? What books did you use, which practice tests did you do, how long did you study for (How many hours/day for how many weeks/months), or any other helpful tips. Thanks!

Sure, no problem. I got the TPR big book of MCATs (blue cover, away from book ATM :D) with 4 online practice tests as well as the EK Bio, Phys, and Math/VR sections. Studied from about the start of June on, maybe 3-4 hours a day? In terms of practice tests, I wrote the 4 that came with TPR's book as well as the free one you get when you sign up, all within a week and a half of crunch time.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is to just sit there and do problems. It's the same approach I used in CHEM 222 (Spectroscopy), and I was one of 2 people out of 150 or so to leave the exam early. Got an A+ in the course. Take a few hours of book time and just crunch through questions. Practice makes perfect.

WS...I still think that was dumb luck - best I ever got in practice was a P or so :o

Archived