Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy Questions

wavygravy89

#1) Pharmacy is pretty competitive but your GPA is very solid. I'm assuming that you would like Medicine as your first choice? You should seriously consider it given your GPA. Having said that, you can always apply for it after you get into Pharmacy. The only negative would be getting high marks in Pharmacy.

#2: I've heard that the PCAT is much easier and requires more straight-up memorization than the MCAT... in which you basically apply information. Haven't done it nor do I know much about it.

#3:

Hey

I have a little pro/con list for waterloo vs uoft (with help from ryanco64) to help those who might have trouble deciding.

Waterloo pros

Co-op (experience + money!)

Quiet campus in Kitchener (pro or con)

Smaller class size feels more personal

Waterloo cons

BSc instead of PharmD (to be confirmed)

Quiet campus in Kitchener (pro or con)

Less networking opportunities (but co-op!)

UofT pros

PharmD (to be confirmed)

Downtown campus is lively

Networking opportunities are better

can rewrite exams if you fail

only 6 exams first yr per term (9 for waterloo)

Cheaper tuition

UofT cons

No paid work experience gauranteed

Downtown campus can be distracting

The class feels less personal

Feel free to add to the list

Source: SDN Pre-Pharm forum!

Two things:

Contrary to the poster above, UofT offers the PharmD after you have completed your BScPharm (or if you've completed a minimum 3 years of BScPharm you can apply, which will save you a year). You will not get into UofT pharm school attaining a PharmD outright.

Secondly, is pharm your first choice or backup? Do you have a genuine interest in it? If your heart is set on med, pursue that instead.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Australian pharmacy schools program train pharmacists who are basically involved in mixing and dispensing pharmaceuticals and other drugs and medicines and conducting research on production, storage, quality control and the distribution of drugs and related supplies.

Archived