Premed 101 Forums

Should I take 6 courses per semester?

souljaboy

I am going into third year and I am going to apply to 4 Ontario schools. Since my university operates on a credit system I have semesters where I did not take 5 courses but have 15 credits. Toronto, Queen's, and Ottawa are all fine with it but McMaster absolutely requires you to have at least 30 courses completed. To do that I need to add an extra course each semester in third year. Is it worth doing this just for an application at one school? I have a 3.98 gpa and 11 verbal so I think i stack up at McMaster fairly well pre-Casper if I can apply.

this may or may not be a possibility -- i haven't quite memorized mac's requirements :P -- but could you just do the regular courseload, and then in the event that you get in to mac, take that extra half-credit, hence fulfilling mac's reqs? i doubt this is a possibility... but i guess there's still a chance? it's my understanding that most schools ask that you have all the requirements before, like, June 1 (if not May 1) of the year in which you are to matriculate, or something, right? Anyway, in the spirit of john stewart mill, i thought it'd put that out there, even if it does get shot down right away.

edit: whaddaya know: "By May 2013, applicants must have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate degree level work (30 half year credits or 15 full year credits or a combination)."

If it says mac requires 30 half year credits or 15 full year credits, you're OK. You don't have to take 30 courses.

strangely the guide actually says 30 courses - however I am curious as to whether that is simply a mistake. If it isn't is quite possible at some schools to get 30 courses in less than 2 years - for instance at Waterloo all the first year courses in science pretty much have labs and those labs are separate courses. I took well over 30 courses in the first two years there.

This is helpful. Bravo.

well a sarcastic question gets that kind of an answer..

3.98 gpa and 11 verbal and you are gonna ask if you can add one more bird course to your list? obviously you can handle the course load.. so if you have to do it then you do it.

I can't add any bird courses since I'm already taking 2 second year courses per semester for my degree, they have to be 3rd year courses if i still want to apply to western next year. I don't see how this is a sarcastic question since by no means am I guaranteed anything at McMaster.

What i meant was that I need 30 half courses, while I only have 28. And Mac is really unfair like that, my first year and second year labs are combined with the main course for a 4 credit course. The admin specifically told me I need 30 half year courses, regardless of credit weighting, even though in second year I took 35 credits worth of classes.

Archived