Premed 101 Forums

Curved down from 90 to 83%

shady

I did a 0.5 credit course this summer to satisfy my humanities requirement at U of T, and it was an easy course. But now the department undergrad coordinator emailed us saying the marks are too high and gave us a -7% curve...

Today my mark was posted and its 83% ... I had a 90...

Should I bother asking for 2 marks to bump it to 85? This is going to be my first summer course that is not 4.0 .. Also, I know med schools don't count summer courses, but they could look at them and decide that its a downward trend therefore not good ?

Sorry if this seems out of place ... but I've never had such a massive curve down, and this is going to be the very last course on my transcript (applying this cycle).. This is enraging :mad: :mad:

I did a 0.5 credit course this summer to satisfy my humanities requirement at U of T, and it was an easy course. But now the department undergrad coordinator emailed us saying the marks are too high and gave us a -7% curve...

Today my mark was posted and its 83% ... I had a 90...

Should I bother asking for 2 marks to bump it to 85? This is going to be my first summer course that is not 4.0 .. Also, I know med schools don't count summer courses, but they could look at them and decide that its a downward trend therefore not good ?

Sorry if this seems out of place ... but I've never had such a massive curve down, and this is going to be the very last course on my transcript (applying this cycle).. This is enraging :mad: :mad:

I don't see the point of asking them for a bump when they clearly thought the marks were too high to begin with. But it won't hurt to try.

85% is still not a 4.0 by OMSAS scale.

If the med school says they don't look at summer courses, it means they don't look at summer courses. Plus, it's not like you got a B or C. A- is still pretty good. Just try to balance it out next year by getting more A+s.

This is typical. They once downgraded a class average from a B to a C+ (PSL302Y1, 2010-2011) because the average was "too high". You must see the look on those students faces going down to a C+.

@Charmer: Not necessarily. Administering a harder exam does not necessarily cause every student with a 90% in an easier exam to score lower; the average student: yes; but not everyone. A top student who studies well enough could still obtain the same mark. Giving a harder exam is a fair way of lowering the class average; arbitrarily subtracting marks from everybody, including the students who found the exam too easy, will not accurately represent their grades. It is a huge assumption to say that everybody's grades will go lower in a harder exam. Some top students get the same mark (depends on topics tested).

This is typical. They once downgraded a class average from a B to a C+ (PSL302Y1, 2010-2011) because the average was "too high". You must see the look on those students faces going down to a C+.

@Charmer: Not necessarily. Administering a harder exam does not necessarily cause every student with a 90% in an easier exam to score lower; the average student: yes; but not everyone. A top student who studies well enough could still obtain the same mark. Giving a harder exam is a fair way of lowering the class average; arbitrarily subtracting marks from everybody, including the students who found the exam too easy, will not accurately represent their grades. It is a huge assumption to say that everybody's grades will go lower in a harder exam. Some top students get the same mark (depends on topics tested).

Your point is excellent. It's very true, and it's the reason why My marks are generally unaffected by class average - I aim for a 90, and if it's hard I work harder, if it's easy I don't push my self to 100% but rather spend more time on other courses/activities.

Anyway I think I will give it a shot and ask for 2 points - what's the worse that could happen? But realistically speaking I don't expect much, and I really hope this isn't looked down upon by med schools.

Thanks for your input.

I normally really don't like your comments, but I agree with this. It's easy enough for a very strong student who knew far more than what was tested to slip up here and there and end up with a low 90 on an exam even though you could have made it twice as hard and they would still have gotten 90 something because their only mistakes were simple slips rather than a lack of knowledge. This happened to me on one of my stats midterms last year, good thing the prof allowed you to replace it with your grade on the final :)

This.Is.Not.A.Down.Ward.Trend.

Unfair, but no one is going to say your abilities decreased because of a single A-

Almost no would would really care directly if it was a downward trend at most Canadian schools. But again as Leon rightly points out a single A- is not a trend or really that much of a concern. Particular since it is a summer course so very few schools will even consider it :)

Can't say undergrads who deliberately took super-easy humanities courses to shirk subjective grading didn't have it coming at them... although to reduce people's marks after they're already posted on ROSI is probably tactless. They should've just marked the final exams insanely hard as the first year GLG courses do, that way no one will bother checking and complain about it... Having gone thru undergrad and worked/interacted with many many TAs in informal settings has really shown me how easy it is to screw over undergrads without any of them having any ability to do anything about it.

Can't say undergrads who deliberately took super-easy humanities courses to shirk subjective grading didn't have it coming at them... although to reduce people's marks after they're already posted on ROSI is probably tactless. They should've just marked the final exams insanely hard as the first year GLG courses do, that way no one will bother checking and complain about it... Having gone thru undergrad and worked/interacted with many many TAs in informal settings has really shown me how easy it is to screw over undergrads without any of them having any ability to do anything about it.

lol first year glg. That **** is the best

This is further proof that it's best to take the hard courses where you benefit from curves and adjustments. don't worry about it op, it's less than .01 effect on your gpa.

lol first year glg. That **** is the best

This is further proof that it's best to take the hard courses where you benefit from curves and adjustments. don't worry about it op, it's less than .01 effect on your gpa.

I agree with the bolded text, although that can sometimes backfire. To be honest, I prefer courses where in the end no curve is used.

Also, quick update: I talked to the department today, and they wouldn't give me the 2 marks. Saw that coming, but it was worth a shot :) And they were cool about it and understanding, so yea.. Good thing the course was in the summer.

And thanks again for all your comments =D

Archived