Premed 101 Forums

MCAT 10 min breaks

Up2Date

Hi everyone,

I had a question about the 10 minute breaks between each section. I noticed that even when your break ends, you actually have to press the "next" button in order for the section to start. So does that mean that you can take breaks that are a little longer than 10 min?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I had a question about the 10 minute breaks between each section. I noticed that even when your break ends, you actually have to press the "next" button in order for the section to start. So does that mean that you can take breaks that are a little longer than 10 min?

Thanks!

It will not start unless you press the next button. You can use this to your advantage in some respects. I took about 12-13 min between PS and VR, and a good 15 between WS and BS. However don't take too long, they could document your times and report you if you take too long. Best to take a little longer to refresh yourself, but don't push it.

you can technically take as long as you need to.

I remember one time the proctors saying that a student once took like 40 minutes of break

but you shouldn't because its against the rules..

are you guys sure about this? I asked the proctors about this and he told me that it actually counts down internally...so we could take like 10 min longer but we would actually have 10 min less for the next section coz the time skips when we press next...I dont know, maybe each testing stations/computers are different?

It will not start unless you press the next button. You can use this to your advantage in some respects. I took about 12-13 min between PS and VR, and a good 15 between WS and BS. However don't take too long, they could document your times and report you if you take too long. Best to take a little longer to refresh yourself, but don't push it.

wow that sounds ridiculous :/

Can anyone who wrote in Toronto's prometric places attest to this?

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I did by mistake get back 1-2 min later on the first break - this was noted by the exam people and they waved me through after pointing out not to be late. I wasn't penalized but clearly this is something they don't want to have - they will take steps to protect the test integry I think.

I did by mistake get back 1-2 min later on the first break - this was noted by the exam people and they waved me through after pointing out not to be late. I wasn't penalized but clearly this is something they don't want to have - they will take steps to protect the test integry I think.

Yup sounds fair, 10 min breaks are enough anyway. Anymore might get one out of the testing state of mind.. i.e. relax and not be so alert.

Yup sounds fair, 10 min breaks are enough anyway. Anymore might get one out of the testing state of mind.. i.e. relax and not be so alert.

Hey its up to your discretion. My testing centre was quite relaxed about it, and told us if we were a couple minutes late it wouldn't be a big deal. Others places may be more strict about it.

And I also agree about the testing state of mind, you shouldn't take too long or you start to relax and lose your focus.

Archived