Premed 101 Forums

Call rooms

The brand new Kelowna General Hospital in B.C. has several amaaazing call rooms for students. Good-sized room, lots of windows, bed-side table with lamp, and a personal desk + office chair. Plus there's 'housekeeping' around - students can even drop off their coats for laundry and pressing for free.

Definitely, when I was on O&G, we had what was a delivery suite at some point. Huge room with a big window, massive bathroom with a shower, etc. Plus it was nicely located just outside the L&D floor, but behind 2 doors, so it was very quiet despite only being like a 5-second dash away from all the action.

Some other call rooms share a bathroom, which can get irritating especially if the person using the opposite room is much busier than you. I personally avoided using the shared bathroom at night so I wouldn't wake up the other person, I'd just go out and find a public washroom.

The worst I've ever heard of was a GIM call room located in an entirely different building from the GIM ward - a 10-min walk, which basically ensured you'd never be able to actually make it there.

Other than the mattresses I found Dal's at Saint Johns to be excellent.

Oh yes. I love the lounge (and the patio!) but I typically needed to put a blanket or towel on the bed to counteract the rock-hard nature of those mattresses.

The QEII has a set of "dungeon" call rooms for clerks which are actually okay, apart from the general sensation of being deep in the hold of a ship. For one of the ICUs, though, the call room not only has a window but its own bathroom.

Otherwise, the Sunnybrook call rooms had private bathrooms, windows, and even computers, but were located 10-15 minutes away from everything.

Some other call rooms share a bathroom, which can get irritating especially if the person using the opposite room is much busier than you. I personally avoided using the shared bathroom at night so I wouldn't wake up the other person, I'd just go out and find a public washroom.

Some of the call rooms at Toronto General are like that, and far away. And often the other person forgets to unlock your door after finishing.

Archived