Premed 101 Forums

UofT Chem prereqs-Can't get a clear answer!!! PLS HELP :)

astudent

Hey everyone!

I'm new, but I've been reading for a while. So, my question is about what UofT chem courses fulfill the McGill prereqs for 1 full year general chem and half year orgo. I have searched these forums and can't find a clear answer. I also emailed McGill and they seemed to imply that I would be okay, but I'm not totally clear on it based on their response. (This is basically the response I received from them: it seems that you have CHM 138, CHM 139 and 247 and BCH 210, please ensure that you the courses have lab components, If in doubt, please speak to an academic advisor at your current institution.)

MY QUESTION:

I have CHem138/139 and CHM247 (also BCH210 and LMP301). I get the feeling that I would fulfill their requirements, but I want to know if anyone here was in a similar situation. Main thing from reading their site that I'm confused about is whether I would need CHM 220 or whether CH 247 is ok. The wording they use below ("...along with CHM 220 and another chm related course...") is confusing.

On their website:

University of Toronto has a different layout for chemistry courses when it comes to students who do not major in Chemistry. We are often asked how one can properly complete the chemistry courses requirements in this context. Many successful applicants from the University of Toronto have CHM138 and 139, along with CHM 220 and another chemistry-related course —including Biochemistry— that has laboratory work (e.g. CHM 217, CHM 238, CHM 247, CHM 249, BCH 370, ...). It is recommended that you speak with your academic adviser for proper course planning. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required course and laboratory work is/will be fulfilled.

thanks so much!

Hey everyone!

I'm new, but I've been reading for a while. So, my question is about what UofT chem courses fulfill the McGill prereqs for 1 full year general chem and half year orgo. I have searched these forums and can't find a clear answer. I also emailed McGill and they seemed to imply that I would be okay, but I'm not totally clear on it based on their response. (This is basically the response I received from them: it seems that you have CHM 138, CHM 139 and 247 and BCH 210, please ensure that you the courses have lab components, If in doubt, please speak to an academic advisor at your current institution.)

MY QUESTION:

I have CHem138/139 and CHM247 (also BCH210 and LMP301). I get the feeling that I would fulfill their requirements, but I want to know if anyone here was in a similar situation. Main thing from reading their site that I'm confused about is whether I would need CHM 220 or whether CH 247 is ok. The wording they use below ("...along with CHM 220 and another chm related course...") is confusing.

On their website:

University of Toronto has a different layout for chemistry courses when it comes to students who do not major in Chemistry. We are often asked how one can properly complete the chemistry courses requirements in this context. Many successful applicants from the University of Toronto have CHM138 and 139, along with CHM 220 and another chemistry-related course —including Biochemistry— that has laboratory work (e.g. CHM 217, CHM 238, CHM 247, CHM 249, BCH 370, ...). It is recommended that you speak with your academic adviser for proper course planning. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required course and laboratory work is/will be fulfilled.

thanks so much!

Call Michel Dansereau on Monday.

McGill is somewhat lenient in what it considers physical chem as you can get away with having analytical/inorganic and biochem. Though the main thing is the lab component which BCH210 and LMP301 do not have, so i doubt they'll accept those (CHM220 is accepted as long as you have an additional chem course with lab which can be orgo/biochem). If you dont want to take an additional chem course you should probably ask if they'll let you have an extra semester of organic chem (i.e CHM247) instead of an extra semester of physical chem course.

• 9 years later...