Premed 101 Forums

Countdown for CASPer

Well I can't contest the statement just posted, I still find it incredibly idiotic that 'discussion of questions' is strictly prohibited. As physicians, will we not be expected to consult everyone under the sun about the correct course of action given an ethical quagmire? But I guess as premeds we're just supposed to slit everyone's throats. Ugh. I find this process almost antithetical to what I believe it takes to be a good physician. Except for the mountains of redundant paperwork....

Everybody cheats on this stupid test, and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it, so don't get your panties all in a bunch.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any mock/practice tests or anything available for casper other than what McMaster provides?

There are some available online. They are not authorized by Mac (but they're not against the rules) and you have to buy them. Since they are not "real" CASPer tests (i believe they're put together by some Canadian med students based on the research CASPer was designed from) I don't know how much stock you can put in them. I haven't tried them so I can't speak to their quality. If you google mock casper you'll find it.

There are some available online. They are not authorized by Mac (but they're not against the rules) and you have to buy them. Since they are not "real" CASPer tests (i believe they're put together by some Canadian med students based on the research CASPer was designed from) I don't know how much stock you can put in them. I haven't tried them so I can't speak to their quality. If you google mock casper you'll find it.

I've tried Astroff. They actually give you text prompts and not videos... misleading sons of ******. Nonetheless, I used these prompts to perfect my timing and other habits that I was told to fix by colleagues.

I've tried Astroff. They actually give you text prompts and not videos... misleading sons of ******. Nonetheless, I used these prompts to perfect my timing and other habits that I was told to fix by colleagues.

Oh wow, I totally thought they offered videos from what I saw on their website. I guess I read wrong! Thanks for the heads-up. Don't think I'll go with them after all...

ok..checked out typeracer whoever mentioned that earlier...cool stuff. kind of addicting..apparently when you type over 100 wpm they ask you to do another test to make sure you're not cheating :P lol I am consistently between 90-100 wpm with 94%+ accuracy..now just to master these questions...one of them is definitely interesting:rolleyes: It is soo close, tomorrow after my daughters gymnastics. I think I may have the issue of not enough room for my answers.. :(

Just finished and it was kind of fun! I'm not going to say anything about it, but don't stress, you don't have time to! You just have to type everything you can think of as soon as the timer starts, haha. Good luck everyone!

Question: How long before your test time did you log in and click on the "Start test" option?

Question: How long before your test time did you log in and click on the "Start test" option?

Haha about half an hour but it kept telling me it wasn't available yet... at 10:30 exactly it finally let me in. You can click 'start test' earlier, but it will just tell you the server time and the time that your slot opens. :)

I really regret writing something negative as my first post... but here it is.

Having an Engineering background and all I am all for technological advances, but man, is CASPer ever terribly implemented. I especially hated that it would cut off and you are never sure whether you've finished typing or not in time due to the inherent lag in the operation of the http protocol. Interesting prompts, yes, but I don't feel the video adds much to this at all. In all, the user experience causes a lot more anxiety than it should.

So, knowing what I know, will CASPer influence my decision on choosing medical schools to apply? You bet it will.

I really regret writing something negative as my first post... but here it is.

Having an Engineering background and all I am all for technological advances, but man, is CASPer ever terribly implemented. I especially hated that it would cut off and you are never sure whether you've finished typing or not in time due to the inherent lag in the operation of the http protocol. Interesting prompts, yes, but I don't feel the video adds much to this at all. In all, the user experience causes a lot more anxiety than it should.

So, knowing what I know, will CASPer influence my decision on choosing medical schools to apply? You bet it will.

They probably WANT you to be anxious/stressed. Otherwise there wouldn't be that seemingly ridiculous 5 minute timer.

I found it quite fine and not much different from the MCAT - though obviously much easier!

I disagree. I think the MCAT is significantly easier.

I personally think now that I've seen it in action, 5 minutes is NOT enough time to do any proper job on answering these questions. At most, I mustered about 4-5 sentences on an answer. I can only imagine how this must suck if you're not good at typing.

In general, I don't think I did particularly well or particular poor for that matter. I certainly had questions I didn't get to finish answering, some where I felt I didn't really give a great answer, and some where I thought I did a good job.

I do agree that the videos weren't particularly informative.

I agree that Casper gives those with fast typing skills a very significant advantage that really detracts from the value of the test.

Why not make it multiple choice? It would address the above issue, plus it would allow for:

(a) Larger sample size of questions for a given amount of time

(B) Potential for standardized scoring

© Cheaper and faster scoring

Or instead just do a short Skype version of MMI to decide (using of course GPA, MCAT, etc. as well) who gets an invitation to the actual MMI....

Just some ideas.

Archived