Premed 101 Forums

Countdown for CASPer

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't run the system validation check yet, but it says that the browsers supported by CASPer are:

Windows XP: IE8

Windows 7: IE 8 & 9, Firefox 13, Chrome 19

My OS is Vista and I installed Firefox 15 cause the CASPer log-in page would not open in IE8 (not even on my desktop which is XP). But Vista/Firefox 15 isn't even mentioned in that list... so I was wondering if anyone was able to do it successfully on Vista...?

I haven't run the system validation check yet, but it says that the browsers supported by CASPer are:

Windows XP: IE8

Windows 7: IE 8 & 9, Firefox 13, Chrome 19

My OS is Vista and I installed Firefox 15 cause the CASPer log-in page would not open in IE8 (not even on my desktop which is XP). But Vista/Firefox 15 isn't even mentioned in that list... so I was wondering if anyone was able to do it successfully on Vista...?

Why don't you just run the test and find out for yourself ...

I disagree. Why would they tell you that two of the scenarios will be on the exam if they didn't want you to prepare for it?? Yes, I know they could look at your typing patterns, but IMO it wouldn't be that much different when you're typing from notes or if you're typing from just thinking, except perhaps for speed. My point just is, if they didn't want you to prepare at all, they wouldn't have told you and just have it as a 'nice' surprise on the test.

I completely agree with you. I saw no where that says you may not prepare answers for these questions. I also can imagine them posting sample questions if they wanted us to have an idea of the test. But the fact that they posted questions that will be on the test and not just any sample ones means that they expect us to prepare. In my opinion it would be foolish not to prepare answers for these questions.

Hell, if they asked me on an interview, I would happily argue that by preparing, I did what any serious med hopeful would do.

I wrote CASPer last year, and they provided sample videos on the website, but they didn't do what they are doing this year (the two "freebie" videos).

So I think they're doing it this year so people can be more comfortable with what to expect, which will reduce anxiety.

In my personal opinion you can't really "prepare" for stuff like this. Yes, you can prepare all you want for those 4 scenarios, but what about the rest?? You have 12 scenarios in total and you'll only know 2 of them. That still leaves you with 10 stations where you'll have to "think on your feet" and you have no idea what they will ask. I'm not saying don't prepare, either... I'm just saying that if you have two "familiar" scenarios out of the 12 you will probably feel a bit more relaxed and I think that's why they are doing it (kinda like when you have an MCAT question where you really KNOW the answer 100% - doesn't it feel awesome when that happens?).

You only have 5 minutes and you really just have to do the best you can and write whatever comes to your mind first. There are no right or wrong answers. I really think they just want to see how you argue your point.

Does anyone know where I can read about the Canadian Health issues? I really do not know how to prepare for Casper :(

A lot people suggested the book "Doing Right". It's actually written by a doctor from Ontario so it's as Canadian and Ontarian (?) you can get. I started reading it and it's actually quite comprehensive and takes you through many examples and medical scenarios. So give that a try. I think it's one of the best resources we have to prepare not only for CASPer but for interviews as well.

A lot people suggested the book "Doing Right". It's actually written by a doctor from Ontario so it's as Canadian and Ontarian (?) you can get. I started reading it and it's actually quite comprehensive and takes you through many examples and medical scenarios. So give that a try. I think it's one of the best resources we have to prepare not only for CASPer but for interviews as well.

I'll second this -- it is an easy read and enjoyable.

Sigh I just watched my 4 videos and my anxiety cranked up quite a lot.

I'm not sure if this is allowed (or if it was discussed, I skimmed the thread) but how many of you would be interested in discussing and giving your opinions on the answers? To get a better overview of the different opinions that we have.

Let me know :)

I'm not sure if this is allowed (or if it was discussed, I skimmed the thread) but how many of you would be interested in discussing and giving your opinions on the answers? To get a better overview of the different opinions that we have.

I'm also having trouble fully justifying my answers in just 5 minutes. Anyone with previous CASPer experience know how much justification we should put?

Kai

The confidentiality statement you had to agree to when you logged on to the CASPER system specifically said that you had to do the questions by yourself and that you may not discuss them with others. The penalty if you get caught is to have your application rejected. I think it would be REALLY unwise to do this especially after you've announced your intent on a public message board.

Well I can't contest the statement just posted, I still find it incredibly idiotic that 'discussion of questions' is strictly prohibited. As physicians, will we not be expected to consult everyone under the sun about the correct course of action given an ethical quagmire? But I guess as premeds we're just supposed to slit everyone's throats. Ugh. I find this process almost antithetical to what I believe it takes to be a good physician. Except for the mountains of redundant paperwork....

Well I can't contest the statement just posted, I still find it incredibly idiotic that 'discussion of questions' is strictly prohibited. As physicians, will we not be expected to consult everyone under the sun about the correct course of action given an ethical quagmire? But I guess as premeds we're just supposed to slit everyone's throats. Ugh. I find this process almost antithetical to what I believe it takes to be a good physician. Except for the mountains of redundant paperwork....

This test is not evaluating your collaborative ability. CASPer primarily gauges your decision making and critical thinking in a limited time that you're given. But I do agree with your statement otherwise. Good luck on CASPer

I agree that as a doctor you are expected to seek appropriate input from others because as a doctor the goal is to achieve the best possible outcome for your patient. The goal here is different. It is to evaluate the quality of you as an applicant. If everyone worked in groups to write their answers what they would actually be measuring is the strength of your social network. One could argue that having a strong social network is an asset as a doctor but personally when I go to the emergency in the middle of the night and there is only one doctor on call I'd rather know that he is qualified by himself not in combination with his friends.

Actually, this is the reason they invented CASPER. Before CASPER you were asked to prepare answers to questions as part of you application. They found out that the quality of the answers they got did not correlate at all with the scores people received when they were interviewed because everyone was writing their answers with the help of all their friends. As a result the process measured the strength of your social network. People with friends and family in medicine had an unfair advantage.

Although CASPER does have problems I think it is more fair and research shows that it is more predictive of your ability to succeed as a doctor than the old system.

How much do people write for their casper answers? I cannot type really fast. I know they allow 1024 characters but how much do people actually fill?

I've done some timed questions just to get used to the pacing of the test, and it's pretty hard to write more than 500-600 characters, including spaces, in one minute forty seconds. That's probably my upper limit if I don't experience a brain fart... 500-600 characters per question, 3 questions in 5 minutes.

How much do people write for their casper answers? I cannot type really fast. I know they allow 1024 characters but how much do people actually fill?

Maybe people from past years can comment on this or if you have been practicing with mocks?

I looked at my AMCAS applications -- 1024 is not a huge amount! I'd say upto about 8 sentences depending on the complexity of your writing and sentence structure. I think one should easily be able to muster at least 3 sentences per answer without having to try hard (usually the questions asks for an answer, and then an explanation why or to expanded upon it)... so that should give you some guideline.

Hey guys, I was wondering if there are still Sunday slots available for Casper. I'm booked for Wed 4:30 but am thinking of switching to Sunday. But when I log in to see other timeslots, I can only see other Wednesday slots. Does that mean all the Sunday slots are taken?

yes, correct.

Archived