Premed 101 Forums

In a hole. Need some advice

Hey guys,

So I'm in my 4th year, but I'm 1.5 credits behind.

My initial plan was to come back and do another semester, maybe a year next fall; while during the summer studying and eventually writing the MCAT. But I recently remembered reading that repeat courses in a year of study do not count when looking at the best 2/most recent 2 years of study schools (need some clarification).

So my plan now was to not write the MCAT this summer, but instead do a spring term, graduate at the end of that, take a semester off to figure out what went wrong and try to start a 2nd UG at the same school? or another school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

But I recently remembered reading that repeat courses in a year of study do not count when looking at the best 2/most recent 2 years of study schools (need some clarification).

This is correct. Unless you failed it and didn't receive credit for it the first time.

So my plan now was to not write the MCAT this summer, but instead do a spring term, graduate at the end of that, take a semester off to figure out what went wrong and try to start a 2nd UG at the same school? or another school.

Why not just use the summer to write the MCAT, apply by October, then while application cycle is occurring you finish your 5th and final year? If you want to use it for GPA, take a full courseload, if it doesn't matter (i.e. you've already got 2 good years / your 2 previous years were good) then just take the required courses. Seems like second undergrad would be unnecessary if you have the marks to get interviews.

Thanks for the reply. But I think the repeat course is going to hold me back. As embarrassed as I am to say it, it was a failed course that I did not receive credit for. So the full course load 5th year I feel would be a waste of time.

I'm not sure I understand - you took a repeat or you need to take one for a failed course? Would you be able to post your GPA breakdown by year? (use this) It'd help to figure out what the best direction might be.

Archived