Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba adds IMG restrictions

I never saw any announcement about this but I've noticed on CaRMS that Manitoba no longer has an open-access match. IMGs apply for their own positions now in the first round.

http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml

may be related but last year for the first time (according to our student affairs director) some students from Manitoba where unable to place at the school. It was a very small number and yet it seems to have raised a lot of noise at the school.

I saw that, and it is weird. The only thing is you have to live in Alberta for at least a year in order to go through their assessment program. Maybe they figure if they have people from Alberta they will stay after they're done, and maybe there is still a need even in the big cities?

I saw that, and it is weird. The only thing is you have to live in Alberta for at least a year in order to go through their assessment program. Maybe they figure if they have people from Alberta they will stay after they're done, and maybe there is still a need even in the big cities?

I heard that Calgary is a city in expension.

Alberta seems to have a good retention rate, since UofC MD IP requirements are too lax (I think you need to live for one year before classes start).

Archived