Premed 101 Forums

Decision for PAs in Ontario to NOT be regulated

The PA scope of practice mirrors the supervising physician scope of practice; my SPs allow me to do everything they do and they teach me if I don't know.

Procedurew-wise: in the past week I have done LPs, intubated, managed airways in other ways, diagnosed and managed DKA, pneumonia, CHF, major traumas, minor traumas, narctotics od, benzo od, lacerations/suturing, reduced a shoulder, done conscious sedations, pharyngitis, NSTEMI, STEMI, CVA, various abscesses, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

From a patient's perspective, I find it totally unacceptable that a non-MD is performing sedation procedures, managing major trauma, managing a DKA, CHF, CVAs etc.

WTF. Is this common practice in human medicine now??

This is frightening. Whats even worse then that, is that there is no regulatory body providing professional oversight here. Who is protecting the public?

From a patient's perspective, I find it totally unacceptable that a non-MD is performing sedation procedures, managing major trauma, managing a DKA, CHF, CVAs etc.

WTF. Is this common practice in human medicine now??

This is frightening. Whats even worse then that, is that there is no regulatory body providing professional oversight here. Who is protecting the public?

well, it's sort of like letting residents perform procedures, the MDs are always there to take over.

the current model makes it such that PAs can't survive without MDs who will take on the responsibility for them (legal aspects)

Obviously there are still A LOT of misconceptions and preconceived notions about what PAs are and what they do. I can't say I blame people though. Unless you work with one, are one or have never been seen by one, you can't know. And this is what leads to erroneous statements all the time. There needs to be more promotion. I think with time as more and more come into the work force, more and more people will become aware. People are generally afraid of what they don't know though, so until then...

Archived