Premed 101 Forums

number of interviews

Meeti

Hey guys, just wondering if there is a number of interviews you guys have in mind to feel comfortable with your chances of matching. Particularly if you're applying to only one (competitive) program across the country. Thanks

of course hard to say - part of it depends on the schools too as some have more spots, some I think I am more likely to match to, and some I probably would be more likely to rank highly (although I would take any school in a heart beat - it is great that in Canada they are all very good in my areas I think).

Maybe 8-10? Not to get over confident but that would suggest I had broad appeal and was likely someone the schools think on paper is a good candidate.

Hey guys, just wondering if there is a number of interviews you guys have in mind to feel comfortable with your chances of matching. Particularly if you're applying to only one (competitive) program across the country. Thanks

There's honestly no right answer to this question. It all depends on you. I've known people who had 9+ interviews and didn't match into a competitive specialty, and I've also known ones with 3 and matched to their first choice. Theoretically, the more interviews you have the better, but with the small # of spots in the really competitive specialties, theory hardly matters.

I don't think any number will make me feel "comfortable". I'll feel "comfortable" on match day when I know I've matched.

There's honestly no right answer to this question. It all depends on you. I've known people who had 9+ interviews and didn't match into a competitive specialty, and I've also known ones with 3 and matched to their first choice. Theoretically, the more interviews you have the better, but with the small # of spots in the really competitive specialties, theory hardly matters.

I have heard some sad stories of people who got cross country interviews but were swayed by programs who assured them they would be ranked #1 and consequently they had a short ROL and went unmatched.

I'm sure it has happened that someone got tons of interviews, ranked the all and still went unmatched, but it's probably an exception.

Agree that you'll never feel comfortable, but I'd rather be in the position of having 10+ interviews than hoping on 3...

Bottom line, rank everything. Or rank every program you'd be willing to attend in the second iteration

I have heard some sad stories of people who got cross country interviews but were swayed by programs who assured them they would be ranked #1 and consequently they had a short ROL and went unmatched.

I'm sure it has happened that someone got tons of interviews, ranked the all and still went unmatched, but it's probably an exception.

Agree that you'll never feel comfortable, but I'd rather be in the position of having 10+ interviews than hoping on 3...

Bottom line, rank everything. Or rank every program you'd be willing to attend in the second iteration

I agree particularly about the last point - if you would pick it the second time around then the is no reason not to rank it the first time.

I agree. Rank every single program you interview at, unless that program is so bad you'd rather go completely unmatched that same year.

There is no comfortable level. I applied to 6 programs. Ranked 6. Interviewed 6. Matched to my first choice. I never felt confident I would match, but in reality, I did 5 interviews for nothing.

Archived