Premed 101 Forums

Applied for 2013 Admission... let the waiting game begin!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised that NOSM is taking this long! I hope I get good news because Wednesday is my birthday!

Yeah, very different from last year.

Seems like they are behind on a few things, last year they gave notice of bursaries before Christmas for med students and this year it is Feb and they still haven't announced it so looks like a few NOSM divisions are moving slow.

As an aside the invitations to interviewers were sent out this morning.

Beef

Seems like they are behind on a few things, last year they gave notice of bursaries before Christmas for med students and this year it is Feb and they still haven't announced it so looks like a few NOSM divisions are moving slow.

Beef

Were the invitations via email or mail?

Beef[/

Hmm that is strange. Thanks for keeping us updated. I thought that most of the interviewers were 2nd and 3rd year students but you mentioned that some first year students will be doing the interviewers. Do you know if there are a lot of first year med students doing the interviews as some of my friends are in 1st year and that would be a bit awkward?

Hmm that is strange. Thanks for keeping us updated. I thought that most of the interviewers were 2nd and 3rd year students but you mentioned that some first year students will be doing the interviewers. Do you know if there are a lot of first year med students doing the interviews as some of my friends are in 1st year and that would be a bit awkward?

The interviewers see the list of interviewees prior, if they recognize any names they have a back-up interviewer who they switch with, so if things go smoothly you won't be interviewed by anyone who knows you personally.

i think beef means to the interviewers , not the interviewees....?

Meddreamer, dont have a heart attack .... read my post carefully .... Like taiga gal stated I wrote "interviewers" .... NOT "interviewees"

My vague understanding is they preferentially take upper year students as interviewers within the student category of interviewers but I am not 100% sure of this. Of course they have a balance of student, community, faculty, etc. interviewers so it is not just students and faculty interviewing.

I do know for a fact that they preferentially take individuals who were also involved in marking the paper applications as well as people who indicate that they are available for both days as interviewers (Sat/Sun).

I have a couple of classmates who marked the applications (about 30 hours of volunteer work! ... I said no thanks to that) so they would get preferential selection to become interviewers. From hearing my classmates I know a lot of the first years are gun-ho about interviewing as it is interesting to have been on the other side only a short time ago and now give back to the process.

Regardless of who interviews you, you will not know what they are as people are instructed to not say that they are 'Dr. so and so' or indicate whether they are a med student or not. You will not know ... someone might be a non-medical community member or they might be a neurosurgeon. Once admitted you may say some of these people "around" and figure out who they are ... lol ...

Beef

Meddreamer, dont have a heart attack .... read my post carefully .... Like taiga gal stated I wrote "interviewers" .... NOT "interviewees"

My vague understanding is they preferentially take upper year students as interviewers within the student category of interviewers but I am not 100% sure of this. Of course they have a balance of student, community, faculty, etc. interviewers so it is not just students and faculty interviewing.

I do know for a fact that they preferentially take individuals who were also involved in marking the paper applications as well as people who indicate that they are available for both days as interviewers (Sat/Sun).

I have a couple of classmates who marked the applications (about 30 hours of volunteer work! ... I said no thanks to that) so they would get preferential selection to become interviewers. From hearing my classmates I know a lot of the first years are gun-ho about interviewing as it is interesting to have been on the other side only a short time ago and now give back to the process.

Regardless of who interviews you, you will not know what they are as people are instructed to not say that they are 'Dr. so and so' or indicate whether they are a med student or not. You will not know ... someone might be a non-medical community member or they might be a neurosurgeon. Once admitted you may say some of these people "around" and figure out who they are ... lol ...

Beef

Thanks beef and leijona!

I applied to NOSM for 2013..I was 24 when I applied, and I just turned 25 in January, so I guess I'm still considered non-mature...I completed a bachelors of medical science (GPA converted 3.73 + 0.2) and masters of science in physician assistant (3.2) in the United States, but I am a Canadian from Windsor, Ontario..Passed my boards (NCCPA) in July 2012 and became a physician assistant certified (PA-C)....

Has anyone got accepted or rejected for an interview yet? I'm kind of nervous..I hope they don't count a whole lot against me because I went to school in the USA =/ ....I'm about to have an aneurysm waiting!

I just received an invitation. :)

I'm not sure about whether all applicants will receive an e-mail, but in the past the "no-interview" e-mail arrived at the same time as the invitations (I received one of those last time I applied, so speaking from that experience).

Looks like there will be no hardcopy package this year - all digital (which I prefer). Good luck to everyone!

Archived