Premed 101 Forums

Am I completely screwed?

Arrowx7

Thanks for the responses everyone, certainly things to think about!

Just a question: If there is an anesthesia vacancy one of the years that goes into a 2nd iteration match and I am a family med resident, can I apply to it?

Do I simply re-enter carms somehow? How does it work?

Thanks for the responses everyone, certainly things to think about!

Just a question: If there is an anesthesia vacancy one of the years that goes into a 2nd iteration match and I am a family med resident, can I apply to it?

Do I simply re-enter carms somehow? How does it work?

That is still a program transfer - usual transfer policies apply.

This is incorrect. Carms supersedes all. If arrow here applies for an anesthesia spot in round 2, he has no obligation to continue with his current residency nor inform his program director should he match to it.

But to be frank, unless you know French there will be a very very very low probability that a gas spot will be open in the fail round this year. You are better off just dashing all hopes of doing gas away and instead concentrating on how to profit as a lowly family doc.

Really? Is there some documentation on that - I am very curious about it. If that is true anyone in a current specialty could apply in the second round match and if they do match somewhere just leave their current program? That would leave that old program flapping in the wind I guess.

Exactly what are the contract rules for rematching - I read thought the carms site a few days ago and all the schools transfer policies - couldn't find anything on rematching through CARMS (might have missed it :) ) . Does it have to be round two, what about round one?

also - "lowly family doc"? :)

If you are a CMG and have any prior post-graduate training, you can rematch in round 2 of any following year.

Except in Quebec.

http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml

yeah I knew that - I am just surprised you don't need permission from your current program to do it :) I had some idea that you first got permission to reapply (released from contract) and then with through the match again. Not having to do that adds an interesting wrinkle to things!

I don't know anyone who has done that during residency without the prior knowledge of their existing program, but I don't think it constituted formal "permission" of any kind, as the funding wasn't being transferred with them if they matched. I also only know of residents doing that to switch from their senior years in 5 year programs into Family medicine. Limited sample.

Most cases of transfers, be it through CaRMS or otherwise, are handled on a very individual case-by-case basis, so there really aren't any hard and fast rules.

Archived