Premed 101 Forums

New post to admissions blog

"Just to clarify, UCAN is a pretty complex system that does a lot of things automatically, so don’t over interpret things like the status and interview tab messages. We changed a few status’ in Friday. We will notify people by email when a decision regarding interviews has been made, and those OOP’s who did not go to full file review will be notified early next week."

Take as you will, but it suggests that those who have had their interview decision tab changed will no be going to interview this year.

"Just to clarify, UCAN is a pretty complex system that does a lot of things automatically, so don’t over interpret things like the status and interview tab messages. We changed a few status’ in Friday. We will notify people by email when a decision regarding interviews has been made, and those OOP’s who did not go to full file review will be notified early next week."

Take as you will, but it suggests that those who have had their interview decision tab changed will no be going to interview this year.

You can tell how carefully this blog post was phrased... don't over interpret things? He didn't say to ignore them...

I think drtrumpet is right. Despite knowing how much this means to you bud I feel kinda sorry if this is actually the case which both of us agree that it probably is :(

Wasn't the interview tab up from the time we submitted the application? And didn't it say the same thing "you haven't been invited for an interview"?

Not for me. I still don't have an interview tab. By the way, I'm OOP.

On another note, I wonder if Dr. Walker could have possibly written a more cryptic post.

What does "early next week" mean? Does it mean like this coming Monday/Tuesday-ish?

Also, has it officially been announced that the e-mails will be sent on February 1st?

let me get you up to speed

This was posted by Dr. Walker on his blog on Jan 8/13:

"By now, all applicants should have received an email saying their calculated GPA is up for viewing on UCAN. You have until Friday to notify Adele is there is a problem, but we are finding far fewer than we did last year.

Moving forward, we imagine we will have all the GPA issues resolved by the en d of next week, and the file reviews complete early the following week. We anticipate making interview offers on Feb 1st, and opening the scheduler on the morning of the 4th. We will be interviewing 644 or thereabouts."

This was posted today:

This could mean 1 of 2 things: Their anticipation was over estimated and invitation will be released earlier than predicted OR they will simply notify those who did not make full file review Monday or Tuesday and release invites on Friday.

Again, these are all speculations.

I wouldn't stress you guys. I am first time applying OOP with no interview tab and just the comment about no decision made yet down in the status. Everything seems pretty random and I think perhaps we are all stressed and trying to make sense out of something that is exactly what the blog says - something random. Good luck everyone !

I reapplied this year and have no interview tab (I'm OOP).

No interview tab, reapplicant. IP.

Try not to over think it. LIke I said yesterday, things mess up sometimes with adcom software. Queens (I think) last year sent out rejections to EVERYONE, and then invitations a couple hours later to a few people. Chaos. No-one knew if their invites were "real", others were hoping that their rejections meant nothing and they waited around for an invite that never came.

UBC has a very stressful system of releasing rejections/invites that people on this forum call "survivor". Basically, rejections are sent in waves, and if you last to the end of the week without getting rejected, you will get an invite. It's way, way worse than this. I think it takes a year off an applicant's lifespan when they do it.

UofC has been really careful with the software but it's really, really hard to get it right, especially with stuff that happens automatically (like Dr Walker said) and also considering how complex some individual profiles are. Now that we've heard from him, we know that they are aware there is a glitch. That's step 1. They always work really hard in their office when they know there's a problem. I'll bet there will be another update monday (or even today).

-don't overthink it

-stay positive

-take care of yourself today and try to do something to get your mind off of it

Hmm... today is -28 where I am and snowing (which is unusual) so I think I'll do some studying and play dance dance revolution with my partner's kids. That should work. :D

I have no idea what is going on here but in my previous life was a software engineer. Working on projects of complexity and just really strange things always seem to pop up - particularly when two system interface in a large organization. I hope they fix this soon either way, but I won't as others have pointed out overthink things yet.

So I shouldn't read into this?

Interview Decision

Interview Decisions have been made. You have not been selected to interview this admissions cycle.

Pretty sure that is clear. Anyone else have the same thing?

Some people have had the same thing as per the posts above. Did you just check recently, or was it up since last Friday?

Archived