• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invite

OOP

wGPA: 3.96

VR: 11

Masters Degree

ECs: leadership: campus club executive, team captain, Board of Directors for an orgnazation. Involvement in the community : food bank, working with youth at risk. Medicine related experience: Hospital Volunteering, Shadowing, Volunteering in a Family Clinic etc..

REJECTED

GPA: 3.79

MCAT: 10 VR

Year: 4 UG + MSc + working

ECs: too many

I still can't get over the fact that I'm rejected pre MMI... despite the fact that I'm IP.... I honestly thought even if I get rejected everywhere else, Calgary would be the one inviting me.... so to have that expectation horribly slaughtered.... I've been just completely zoned out for past few hours.... still having hard time getting over it....

Result: Regrets

GPA:3.96

MCAT: P 13, VR 11, B 11, Q (35Q)

ECs: (Slightly above average?) Several Scholarships + NSERC, yr of research - no pubs, extensive tutoring & lecturing, 4 yrs long-term care volunteer, several exec positions , 2 yrs TAing, + lots of more unique entries

Year: 4th yr

IP/OOP: OOP

First of All I wanted to congratulate Kyla! Good job especially after all the hard years working to reach your goal! I actually read an article about you in Maclean's not too long ago. Now for my contribution to the post and to also give others out there hope that you can still be in the running even if you don't have a 4.0 GPA (nothing wrong with those that have that) or if you are a bit older like myself (33)

INVITE :) :) :) :) :

GPA: 3.54

VR: 9

ECs: This is where I think it made a difference for me!

Masters degree, Many volunteer hours on a sexual assault crisis line, many campaigning hours for both provincial and federal elections, I have served on my condo board as treasurer for multiple years, I am the Vice president of a provincial constistuency association supporting the best MLA in Alberta! I've had multiple acting roles in the local theatre in my home town. one 1st author scientific publication and one third author scientific publication, a third publication in submission. I am Currently working as research technician in viral discovery for the past 4 years at the UofA. I have Coordinated and helped organize a city wide fundraising event in Edmonton for those affected by HIV/AIDS (Have volunteered many years with this organization). Various other volunteers activities i.e. Run for the cure, Meals on wheels, Take back the night event etc.

References: Pretty solid I would assume especially the ones from my MLA and from director of the HIV/AIDS organization that I worked with.

Invited

GPA: 3.6

VR: 11

ECs: Long term stuff with seniors (in a rural community) and young students + research

Currently finishing up my Master's degree.

Not sure if age matters, but I'm 26 so I guess I'm a little bit non-traditional!

Very excited to get this in the mail after six rejection e-mails from the other schools I applied to! I hope that Monday won't be an absolute nightmare though.. Fairly certain most people will be gunning for March 2nd (myself included as I have my biochemistry final on Feb 23rd, ah!) so I'm a little nervous!

Archived