Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Invites 2013

Since there is no interview thread, I figured I might as well create it

Invited by e-mail

time stamp: 6:27 EST (I believe 4:27 Calgary time)

wGPA: 3.96

verbal: 12

ec: summer research, scholarships, extensive hospital volunteer and some tutoring.

geopgraphical status: OOP

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invited: Checked UCAN, no e-mail yet

time stamp: 6:45

wGPA: 3.98

verbal: 10

ec: part-time work throughout undergrad as a waiter and bartender, multiple volunteer positions helping at-risk youth, speaker for charitable events as an advocate for at-risk youth, a second-authorship publication, military experience, poster and abstract publication, finishing MSc. this year. Other teaching volunteer work with youth, clinical volunteer experience for about a year as well, other small things not worth mentioning here!

geopgraphical status: OOP

Invite!

Time Stamp: 6:28

cGPA: 3.97

Verbal: 10

EC's: lots of student mentoring, leadership positions in frosh, coordinator of various university run programs, intramural soccer, 2.5 years of research, medical first responder etc..

3rd year

OOP

Congratulations to everyone who got an interview. This has been the biggest surprise of all for me :)

Knew it was a long shot - not surprisingly rejected. Kind of expected it but am still kind of down.

Rejected

wGPA: 3.61

Verbal: 8

Extra-Curriculars: I believed to be stellar - lots of volunteering with leadership positions, lots of research (5 first author publications in mid-high impact journals and 12 conference presentations/abstracts), and lots of major scholarship money ($200000) but it was clearly not enough.

IP

Result: Invite

Time stamp: 4:44 Edmonton time

wGPA: 3.82

MCAT: 11/11/11 Q

ECs: Above average. Worked as a Clinical and Research Assistant at Sunnybrook, Mackenzie Health, and Brampton Osler Hospital for 3 years. ALS research: poster presentation and paper submitted. Working on software with e-health canada. Opened and operated an electronics repair shop for 5 years with a partner. TA'ed for 3 years. NSERCs. Neurodegenerative disease research at uoft for 3 years. UofT Soccer for 3 years. Mountain biking, hiking, the outdoors stuff. Raised 20K to build schools and promote education in Afghanistan, Tanzania and Pikangikum Ontario.

Year: Graduated with HBSc 1.5 years ago

IP

Invited by e-mail

Time stamp: 4:44pm

wGPA: 3.82 w 10yr exclusion

VR: 11

EC: Non-Trad, parent, Master's, research, 2 NSERC's, 1+ publication, commited work for non-profit organization, coaching, first aid volunteering etc..

IP

Interviewed last year. Hoping for a better result this year.

Invited... will update soon with stats

IP (territories)

3.75 (with 10-yr-rule applied and worst year dropped)

VR 11 (33R-11/11/11)

ECs are above average according to my app from last year.

I'm honestly having trouble typing. I am really excited.

I was not looking forward to tonight because I thought I would not sleep. Seriously. I think I added it up today and this is my first ever invite with ~16 applications to various schools over the years. My first application was in 2007 to UBC and I wasn't even eligible but they took my money and scored it anyways. Plan Polar Bear seems to be a success. :)

Also adding- I feel honoured to have kind of a "fan club". Thanks for the well wishes.

Invite!

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), recreational therapy at Alzheimer's Care Centre (1 yr), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer.

LORs: 2 x research profs (1 leader, 1 collaborator), Alzheimer's volunteer supervisor

Invited... will update soon with stats

IP (territories)

3.75 (with 10-yr-rule applied and worst year dropped)

VR 11 (33R-11/11/11)

ECs are above average according to my app from last year.

I'm honestly having trouble typing. I am really excited.

I was not looking forward to tonight because I thought I would not sleep. Seriously. I think I added it up today and this is my first ever invite with ~16 applications to various schools over the years. My first application was in 2007 to UBC and I wasn't even eligible but they took my money and scored it anyways. Plan Polar Bear seems to be a success. :)

Also adding- I feel honoured to have kind of a "fan club". Thanks for the well wishes.

things like these really motivate to move past the rejections! CONGRATS!

anyways, here are my stats for Calgary:

Rejected (time stamp: 6:30 EST) :(

wGPA: 3.97

VR: 11 (strong overall)

ECs: Pretty standard with some hospital volunteering, tutoring, research etc. (maybe I didn't explain them well enough ?

OOP

Congrats to everyone who received an invite! pretty stiff competition this year for the OOP pool

Archived