Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Invites 2013

Sort of late to the party, but I've just started a new job that has taken over my life.

Rejected

IP

Graduated last June

GPA: 3.85

Verbal: 10

EC's: Research experience (including a first author publication), vice president of my department's student society, peer support volunteer at my university, retail slave, advocacy for Crohn's and colitis and disabilities, lots of music stuff (choir, individual singing stuff)

I'm disappointed, but I also got an interview invite a few days before from my top choice of clinical psych grad program, so that helps soften the blow a bit.

Congrats to everyone who got an invite (especially you, Kyla)!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not exactly. You can however buy a book of tickets, usually a pack of 10, that will probably last you a week depending on how often you're taking transit. The book of 10 is $30, so you don't save any money (as the normal ticket price is $3.00), but I suppose it's a bit more convenient/you don't have to have a bunch of change filling your pockets.

If you're doing a ton of trips on one day you can also get a daily pass for $9.00, but it's probably not worth it haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Invited by e-mail

GPA: 3.71

verbal: 8

Context: Liver in Northwestern Ontario my whole life. Currently working as a nurse in a Northwestern hospital. Applying as a Francophone and Aboriginal applicant.

ec: Research, humane society, some hospital volunteering.

geopgraphical status: OOP

Anyone in the aboriginal applicant pool gets an automatic invite if they meet the minimum GPA.

I think I read somewhere in their statistics from last year that all Aboriginal students with a GPA greater than 3.2 are admitted for an interview.

I tend to agree with this practice. Aboriginals across Canada are underprivileged as a whole. (I know a lot of people don't look at it that way)

But it would be nice to have a larger cohort of Aboriginal doctors. IMO

I think I read somewhere in their statistics from last year that all Aboriginal students with a GPA greater than 3.2 are admitted for an interview.

I tend to agree with this practice. Aboriginals across Canada are underprivileged as a whole. (I know a lot of people don't look at it that way)

I'm not sure where it's stated, but Dr. Walker said it in the podcast too.

I agree with your views on the matter.

agree. white people should be punished for what their ancestors did. aboriginals should now have their chance to dominate, to make up for it.

agree. white people should be punished for what their ancestors did. aboriginals should now have their chance to dominate, to make up for it.

Poor white people, so oppressed...lol

Hey! Woo Guys/Gals

Watch the language there! This is not about punishing people who are Caucasian by descent. This is about creating a working group of doctors whom come from a background that many of us are naive too!

This is a really sensitive issue because many people believe Aboriginal students get a "free pass". This really isn't the case. I work with Aboriginal initiatives, but I am not aboriginal. Aboriginal students (at all campuses, except Calgary) need to AT LEAST make the requirements which IP students do. Your messages come off as a sort off reverse insult. Sarcastically mocking the 'white man/woman' whilst actually insulting FN, Metis, Innu, and Self-Identifying.

Edit: Sorry I got heated. I just see a lot of racism in my local community and it hits a sore spot.

Hey! Woo Guys/Gals

Watch the language there! This is not about punishing people who are Caucasian by descent. This is about creating a working group of doctors whom come from a background that many of us are naive too!

Edit: Sorry I got heated. I just see a lot of racism in my local community and it hits a sore spot.

I know...I was being sarcastic

So it looks like the seats have been cut from 170 to 155...:/

Whoa, it is unbelievable how dependant the Albertan government has allowed itself to become on oil. A drop in the price of oil equals a nearly 10% decline in new doctors coming this year (from U of C, who knows what is happening at U of A). That is scary.

Before anyone gets too excited about a drop in seat numbers Dr. Walker specifically said:

"I am told that we will have 155 new students next year, down from 170 this year"

Since Dr. Walker often speaks about the admission year as "this year" it sounds to me that they are admitting 170 students for 2013, but next year it will decline to 155. That sucks for 2014, but I don't think it will change anything for the class starting 2013.

Someone should tell the media about this one. 15/170 available seats is a lot..and I think only a few years ago it was something like 188 seats

Why would the media care? There is no shortage of medical students but there is a shortage of medical students who want to do family medicine. That's where the problem lies. Yeah it sucks for you guys trying to get into med school but it sucks a lot more when you're trying to get into a specialty that you want or when you're a resident trying to find a job. There's no point in training all of these med students only to not have enough residency spots for them. That's how I feel anyway.

Why would the media care?

The media loves talking about med schools. CBC (national feed) had a story today about changes at U of C's residency program for example. If there is one thing people care about more than health care, it's complaining about the health care system. Writing stories about that system sells papers and gets viewers. That is why the media would care.

I agree it is unfortunate that it is so hard to get into some residencies for those who are intersted. That must be incredibly frustrating once getting to your point. Agreed for sure - though, I desperately hope to you have your problem one day!!!!

Whoa, it is unbelievable how dependant the Albertan government has allowed itself to become on oil. A drop in the price of oil equals a nearly 10% decline in new doctors coming this year (from U of C, who knows what is happening at U of A). That is scary.

Yes the Alberta government is dependent on the price oil. The royalties definitely are used inappropriately. I like how some people are upset about the seat reduction, but they are also upset by pipelines :P

Archived