Premed 101 Forums

No Science Prerequisites?

Great news for me! I did an undergrad in the humanities and a post-grad in international development. Through my work abroad in the Global South, I've come to realize medicine is what I really want to do...but I don't want to start from scratch with a Bsc again. :) Mac and NOSM are great opportunities for that.

I have a very similar background! Studied history/international relations and worked for Foreign Affairs Canada. Love interacting with people and building real skills, hate cubicles and staring at a computer screen 8 hours a day. Go med!

Yes. Though, it is not common. These students work extremely hard and I personally know a couple who ended up being exceptional medical students and future physicians.

I come from an arts background and am currently doing my senior high school biology through correspondence so that I can take anatomy/physiology at UofO to make an eventual transition to medicine a bit easier. Do you think this is a wise plan?

Some have told me concentrate on getting in (ie, building up my ECs) rather than learning things I'd have to re-learn in first year anyway. I am unsure what to do.

Yes it can be done. I think some of my non-science classmates really struggled during Module 101 which is effectively doing first year university bio/chem/biochem all condensed into 4 weeks ... hell even I struggled and I come from a health science background, taking plenty of hard science classes. I feel as the year progressed though the non-science students have flourished and caught up.

Beef

Yes it can be done. I think some of my non-science classmates really struggled during Module 101 which is effectively doing first year university bio/chem/biochem all condensed into 4 weeks ... hell even I struggled and I come from a health science background, taking plenty of hard science classes. I feel as the year progressed though the non-science students have flourished and caught up.

Beef

Really goes to show why med schools don't really care about people coming from specific educational backgrounds. When you select steller people to begin with, anything is doable.

Archived