Premed 101 Forums

Can you expense your CaRMS costs for tax purposes?

I don't think so because it's a schooling cost. You get schooling credits with your T2202A. But if you wanted to be really sure hire an accountant who understands medical resident/staff taxes. That's what I have done since I started residency. He's worth the money.

You can claim LMCC exam costs though, so remember to keep those receipts.

There are some good article on the CMA website about this topic. There is an tax guide and CARMS article that highlight some information. It can be found here (under resources for medical residents)

http://www.cma.ca/index.php?ci_id=49620&la_id=1

Every MD office has a list of Accountants that can help you with your taxes. Generally they won't charge as much for residents but it does vary by location.

How much does your accountant charge, if you don't mind me asking?

I think around 300 or so for both myself and my wife.

It's been worth it because Revenue Canada is complex and there are lots of tax benefits you could miss, especially for your first year of residency.

Plus my accountant deals with Revenue Canada for me when they request extra documents and what not (which they always love to do when you claim lots of deductions or have a major change of life).

Carms travelling/meals expenses are of no use for tax purposes. There is no provision to claim a tax deduction or credit for 'job search' expenses.

Do not waste money hiring an accountant. Deductions against employment income (while you are a resident) are very limited. Accountants can be useful when you start your own practise.

Carms travelling/meals expenses are of no use for tax purposes. There is no provision to claim a tax deduction or credit for 'job search' expenses.

Do not waste money hiring an accountant. Deductions against employment income (while you are a resident) are very limited. Accountants can be useful when you start your own practise.

I disagree. The amount of deductions you qualify for is quite variable and will depend on your personal situation. My taxes last year were quite complex.

You need to make a judgement call based on your personal situation. I know residents who lost hundreds of dollars because they missed claims or used the incorrect strategy to claim things. I also know residents who paid someone way to much for their taxes.

Archived