Premed 101 Forums

OFFICIAL: who's applying to PT 2013?

I applied to Mac, U of T, and Western with a 3.89 GPA. I accepted the U of T CAP and Mac MMI invitations, but I am leaning towards Western. May 17th couldn't come any sooner!

By the way, does anyone know for sure what the Western cut-off was for 2012? I know it has went up every year so I'm anxious to know.

In the same boat as you brothaa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I applied to Mac, U of T, and Western with a 3.89 GPA. I accepted the U of T CAP and Mac MMI invitations, but I am leaning towards Western. May 17th couldn't come any sooner!

By the way, does anyone know for sure what the Western cut-off was for 2012? I know it has went up every year so I'm anxious to know.

I think it was 3.82 last year, because someone with 3.81 was waitlisted.

3.83 was for first round cut off, but people with like 3.76 got in off the waitlist, you will get in for sure.

Where did you find that info? The lowest gpa I saw get off the waitlist was around 3.80, although I only looked on these forums.

3.83 was for first round cut off, but people with like 3.76 got in off the waitlist, you will get in for sure.

I mean, as intriguing as that sounds, seeing how 3.77 is the freaking cut-off just for the interview for the other schools, Western cut off must be real high now, even more next year. Of course, then again, it depends on the annual applicant pool but for some reason, the GPA requirements' for these PT schools seem to be sky rocketing every year. It's such a bummer. How is it that the cut offs are going up by 0.05s every single year? that's a huge increase and where's the limit? What could explain this phenomena other than that people are becoming smarter every year :S I wouldn't be surprised if UT's cut off next year become a 3.8. It's not like the wage for PT's are going up, I just don't get it

Guest Physioprospect
I mean, as intriguing as that sounds, seeing how 3.77 is the freaking cut-off just for the interview for the other schools, Western cut off must be real high now, even more next year. Of course, then again, it depends on the annual applicant pool but for some reason, the GPA requirements' for these PT schools seem to be sky rocketing every year. It's such a bummer. How is it that the cut offs are going up by 0.05s every single year? that's a huge increase and where's the limit? What could explain this phenomena other than that people are becoming smarter every year :S I wouldn't be surprised if UT's cut off next year become a 3.8. It's not like the wage for PT's are going up, I just don't get it

Ya the wages are very disapointing for how much education is required.

hey i was wondering how do you convert 3.83 into a percentage i think its somewhere above 84 but for sure below 93 which i believe is around 3.9 according to this chart :http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf. Cause right now i have around 86 percent(est.) for my last 60 and want to apply next year to western ontario as a out of province from (B.C.) i want to get an idea of where i am, if anyone could answer that would be great.

hey i was wondering how do you convert 3.83 into a percentage i think its somewhere above 84 but for sure below 93 which i believe is around 3.9 according to this chart :http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/c_orpas_b.pdf. Cause right now i have around 86 percent(est.) for my last 60 and want to apply next year to western ontario as a out of province from (B.C.) i want to get an idea of where i am, if anyone could answer that would be great.

I always use this website - it's been really helpful

http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/

On the UofT Occupational Therapy website FAQ section they state that the average for their class last year was "80-84%, or 3.5-3.7". [Note: my total GPA was 3.56 on the ORPAS scale and my university said I graduated First Class with an A- average].

Use the ORPAS chart, convert your percentage grade for each class to the ORPAS value there and also add up the total length of each class (example: a course that was one semester would be 1.0 length)..

So let's say you got:

1.0; 3.80

1.0; 3.00

1.0; 3.80

total:

3.00; 10.6 = (10.6 divided by 3.0) = 3.53 GPA

Do that for your last 2 years worth of courses and you should have a rough idea of where you are at. I believe 86% should be 3.7-3.8 area but I'm guessing. I would say you're correct in guessing that 3.83 should be 85-90%

thank you for your guys help! I see how it works now, its hard to translate percentage averages into GPA. I guess it would really be unfornuate to get alot of 84 in a course versus 85-86 since that would be a difference between 3.7 and 3.9 in terms of GPA, while a small difference in percentage average.

Archived