Premed 101 Forums

NRMP and Carms applicants

forkdork

top right corner under your SIN and USMLE # it says match status: WITHDRAWN

and at the bottom under your school name it says Withdraw reason: Canadian match position.

This is on your NRMP home page once you log in...you know where you created and certified your rank list

Do you think this is definitive? The applicants that did not get withdrawn did not match to CaRMS? I am really worried now. I just spoke with NRMP yday and they told me that they find out the same day as we do. I will definitely give NRMP a call again today.

I figure I'd throw in my opinion regarding this matter since this is my second go at this.

For those whose status did not change, I'm sorry to say but I do not believe you've matched. NRMP needs to run their algorithm as well and even a single ineligible candidate still in the mix would seriously compromise the end results. The only scenario I can think of otherwise is if you forgot to tick off the box in CARMS that said, "are you participating in NRMP", which if you didn't then that's a whole other boatload of doodoo to worry about.

I'm going to share my thoughts for USMG applicants since that is my background. Last year, I entered both match but really with the intention of coming back to Canada.

For those who do not match CARMS first round, DO NOT WITHDRAW FROM NRMP or in the worse case, do not withdraw from SOAP. Second iteration of CARMS is NOT your friend.

This was my fallacy. I saw CARMS second iteration as a safety net since I was more concerned with coming back to Canada rather than the different specialties themselves. There was no rotation that I absolutely hated and did not want to do, so I figure I'd be happy doing whatever where ever. I withdrew from NRMP and did not participate in SOAP.

Big mistake. Unless you wouldn't mind waiting out another year and you temper your expectations, I would take a position in US if I could do it again.

Second iteration is vicious. The interview mood is different. You are competing for maybe a dozen spots at a school that interviews several hundred that no one wanted in the first place. And it is highly competitive. Do not believe the statistics where it seems there are positions left over after the second round. Some programs purposely do not fill all their spots. Some (Ontario for sure) pool all the unfilled spots in the province and offer them to the Ontario school grads. Last year, there was only 1 legitimate spot left over after the second round and that was Memorial psychiatry.

Again, I do feel for you since I was in your spot a year ago. Hope everything works out well in the end.

Oh, and mine this year says withdrawn, if you were curious :)

PS: to the one who did the suicide match and won, you've got balls.

Archived