Premed 101 Forums

Dean's Desk

From the 'Dean's Desk' email for your interest ....

"The weekend before Easter and next weekend are the interview weekends for applicants to the 2013 intake to the NOSM MD program. In all, 332 individuals have been called for interview over the two weekends selected from the 1974 applications received for 64 available places. This confirms the competitive nature of securing a place as a medical student with NOSM. 56% of those interviewed this year are females. Amongst the 332, there are 64 (20%) self-identified as Francophone and 33 (10%) self-identified as Aboriginal. Following from the interviews, the Admissions Committee will assess all the information on these candidates in the lead up to sending out first round offers to 64 selected candidates on May 14. Orientation week for our 2013 first year class begins on August 19.

Interviewing 330 plus applicants over two weekends is a huge logistical exercise and a major challenge for all involved. It is also of great importance to the School as the process is as much about inspiring applicants that this is the medical school for them, as it is about selecting which of them will be offered places in the NOSM MD program. Many students, faculty and staff members, as well as individuals from the communities of Northern Ontario (not just Sudbury and Thunder Bay), contribute considerable time and effort to the success of the interview weekends. Thank you to all of you for your participation in this process which is very important to the School."

Those seem like deceiving stats 9 as with any med school). how many of these people meet the cut-offs, how many are competitive? How many are from the North?

This really whittles down the pool of 1974 and even the group of interviewees. ( Atleast this is what i'm hoping as I would very much like to return to the north to pursue a medical degree, seeing as i am born and raised in Northern Ontario)

Still quite a nice statement from the Dean.

From the 'Dean's Desk' email for your interest ....

In all, 332 individuals have been called for interview over the two weekends selected from the 1974 applications received for 64 available places. This confirms the competitive nature of securing a place as a medical student with NOSM. 56% of those interviewed this year are females. Amongst the 332, there are 64 (20%) self-identified as Francophone and 33 (10%) self-identified as Aboriginal.

I love stats like this.

It's interesting that the profile of those interviewed reflects the profiles of the classes. It's always ~60% female, ~20% francophone and 10% aboriginal. I'm curious about two things:

1 - Is the higher amount of female interviewees/classmates (sometimes as high as 2:1) due to the ratio o female applicants (i.e. more female applicants in general), or is NOSM trying to recruit more female students? Or both?

2 - How come the big drop in the number of interviewees? Going from 400 to 330 is a significant shift, considering EVERY other year they had 400.

2 - How come the big drop in the number of interviewees? Going from 400 to 330 is a significant shift, considering EVERY other year they had 400.

I was told that they had looked at the statistics from the previous years and found that the those who had pre-interview scores which placed them in the 325(ish) - 400 range had very little chance of over coming the gap, even with great interview scores, to get into the range where an offer of admission was a realistic possibility.

I was told that they had looked at the statistics from the previous years and found that the those who had pre-interview scores which placed them in the 325(ish) - 400 range had very little chance of over coming the gap, even with great interview scores, to get into the range where an offer of admission was a realistic possibility.

So low yield then - that is still quite the number of interviewees for the number of spots in the end, and a lot of work for the interview teams.

I love stats like this.

It's interesting that the profile of those interviewed reflects the profiles of the classes. It's always ~60% female, ~20% francophone and 10% aboriginal. I'm curious about two things:

1 - Is the higher amount of female interviewees/classmates (sometimes as high as 2:1) due to the ratio o female applicants (i.e. more female applicants in general), or is NOSM trying to recruit more female students? Or both?

As usual, I'm having another insomnia party tonight (aka, browsing the forum and writing random posts). For the first question, I think it may be there are more women applying. The 2009 afmc report stated there were 887 men and 1386 women who applied to NOSM in 07/08. Further, the 2010 report stated there were 736 men and 1156 women who applied to NOSM in 08/09. As for the second question, I just noticed Mr. Wayward already got to it while I was reading up on the afmc reports. Here's the message from the first email - "Please note we have reduced the number of offers to interview from approximately 400 in previous years to approximately 320 this year. This was done because an analysis of previous application years showed that those applicants ranked below 320 have not been successful in ultimately being offered admission to Northern Ontario School of Medicine."

Archived