Premed 101 Forums

mcmaster pt mmi invite

Congrats to those that got invites. No dice for me this year, upgrading and another year of being an RMT ugh!!! They had over 1400 applications this year which is off the charts. I spoke to them yesterday about how I should go about upgrading.

They had 2 months to just rank applicants and invite the top 250-300, which would take less than 5 minutes, and they are now experiencing "technical difficulties". lol. What a joke.

Haha yep, anyone can rank a list in about 10 seconds (thanks Excel!). After all this dead time, they give themselves 3 weeks to make actual decisions. Not complaining, but it is strange to think about.

Haha yep, anyone can rank a list in about 10 seconds (thanks Excel!). After all this dead time, they give themselves 3 weeks to make actual decisions. Not complaining, but it is strange to think about.

Keep in mind all the people that are tied and the reference letters are used as tie breakers. Takes time to get thru those

Hm.. Any idea if they are going down the list? Or does the rejection mean no interview for sure?

They did tell me that it is possible that they will go down the list for interviews. Some high GPA's flat out bomb the interview, people select other schools that got accepted at more than one program etc. there is hope albeit slim hope. Would be a pleasant surprise to get a consolation invite. I would live in my car if I had to go last minute. Those that did get an interview, knock em dead and good luck

They did tell me that it is possible that they will go down the list for interviews. Some high GPA's flat out bomb the interview, people select other schools that got accepted at more than one program etc. there is hope albeit slim hope. Would be a pleasant surprise to get a consolation invite. I would live in my car if I had to go last minute. Those that did get an interview, knock em dead and good luck

So receiving the rejection at this moment isn't 100% "rejected" right? I know a friend who got a last minute invite with 3.71 last year. And if I remember correctly, the initial cutoff was 3.75 for last year.

EDIT: Also, this user here seem to have an MMI interview last year with 3.68 lol... http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=717565&postcount=85

So receiving the rejection at this moment isn't 100% "rejected" right? I know a friend who got a last minute invite with 3.71 last year. And if I remember correctly, the initial cutoff was 3.75 for last year.

EDIT: Also, this user here seem to have an MMI interview last year with 3.68 lol... http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=717565&postcount=85

Yes that was my understanding. It has happened at McMaster where they have gone down the list but it is last minute. You get a phone all in August and everything is rushed and off you go. Hell I would take it in a heart beat. Diners crossed but I registered for intercession in case I didn't get in. I have a 3.73 and will have 3.77 at the end of this semester so unwanted to make sure ingot into courses before I graduated because it's harder to get signed in if you graduate. Hoping for the consolation prize. I still have an app at western but wrote that off after rejections from UofT and now Mac

Yes that was my understanding. It has happened at McMaster where they have gone down the list but it is last minute. You get a phone all in August and everything is rushed and off you go. Hell I would take it in a heart beat. Diners crossed but I registered for intercession in case I didn't get in. I have a 3.73 and will have 3.77 at the end of this semester so unwanted to make sure ingot into courses before I graduated because it's harder to get signed in if you graduate. Hoping for the consolation prize. I still have an app at western but wrote that off after rejections from UofT and now Mac

Do you mean phone call in april? Or do you mean phone call in august after the MMIs?

Do you mean phone call in april? Or do you mean phone call in august after the MMIs?

I really don't know. I was just told of people

Being told last minute in august that they were selected. It very well could be after the mmi. They do obviously over select for the mmi so it is likely a slim chance. But it has happened for some so who knows.

I really don't know. I was just told of people

Being told last minute in august that they were selected. It very well could be after the mmi. They do obviously over select for the mmi so it is likely a slim chance. But it has happened for some so who knows.

Well from my friends experience (3.75 cut off and he had 3.71) and the other posters experience (3.68) who both got called last minute for the MMI, I think there is a good chance that the initial rejection from Mac isn't firm. Having that said, I think we will hear something back after April 15th (this is the last day for confirming that you are attending the MMI for OT, I'd assume it's same for PT).

Though, the 3.68 is weird because I had 3.70 last year and never got called... Unless Mac chooses specific people they want for the MMI after the cutoff....

Well from my friends experience (3.75 cut off and he had 3.71) and the other posters experience (3.68) who both got called last minute for the MMI, I think there is a good chance that the initial rejection from Mac isn't firm. Having that said, I think we will hear something back after April 15th (this is the last day for confirming that you are attending the MMI for OT, I'd assume it's same for PT).

Though, the 3.68 is weird because I had 3.70 last year and never got called... Unless Mac chooses specific people they want for the MMI after the cutoff....

Yeah 3.68 seems odd if you had 3.70. I don't think they would choose specific people because it would be unfair to those who weren't selected round one. The preference occurs when the interview happens when they realize some people

Aren't a good fit. It all depends on who turns it down. A lot of people are afraid of interviews and pick Mac as a last resort if they don't get western or don't pass the CAP. Some people fold up like lawn chairs after labour day in an interview. Which leaves the door open for bums like me with a 3.73 and 11 years experience as an rmt in a physio clinic. I just happened to graduate in the wrong year lol. 1 year too late dang it

Yeah 3.68 seems odd if you had 3.70. I don't think they would choose specific people because it would be unfair to those who weren't selected round one. The preference occurs when the interview happens when they realize some people

Aren't a good fit. It all depends on who turns it down. A lot of people are afraid of interviews and pick Mac as a last resort if they don't get western or don't pass the CAP. Some people fold up like lawn chairs after labour day in an interview. Which leaves the door open for bums like me with a 3.73 and 11 years experience as an rmt in a physio clinic. I just happened to graduate in the wrong year lol. 1 year too late dang it

Well keep your hopes high. I was in the same boat last year in terms of GPA cutoffs. 3.71 vs 3.70 lol, missed by 0.01.

I'm going to assume that Mac will invite people with lower GPA than 3.77 though.

Btw, did anyone get an updated email from Mac? I know someone who got two emails, one stating the cutoff was 3.77, then one stating that it is 3.78.

Well keep your hopes high. I was in the same boat last year in terms of GPA cutoffs. 3.71 vs 3.70 lol, missed by 0.01.

I'm going to assume that Mac will invite people with lower GPA than 3.77 though.

Btw, did anyone get an updated email from Mac? I know someone who got two emails, one stating the cutoff was 3.77, then one stating that it is 3.78.

I got two emails as well. The first saying 3.77 cutoff which I was confused about since my GPA is 3.77 and then an updated one saying it was 3.78. I'm really disappointed. Did everyone get two emails?

I got two emails as well. The first saying 3.77 cutoff which I was confused about since my GPA is 3.77 and then an updated one saying it was 3.78. I'm really disappointed. Did everyone get two emails?

Yup I got that second email too with 3.78 highlighted in red... Womp womp. I'm at 3.77 too, I had a whisper of hope that they had been a mistake :(

Nono both said that I wasn't aamong the top 300 applicants, but the first email said the cutoff of 3.77 so I was planning on calling and saying well... I have 3.77! But 30 mins later I got the same exact email but the 3.77 was corrected in red to 3.78. So mean!

I feel your pain. I'm am really not liking the idea of another round of undergrad. 3.78 is crazy. A buddy of mine went through at Western with 3.71 years back and can't believe the requirement now. Man I'm probably going to have to get 3.8 just to make the cut line. Well best of luck to you and hopefully see you next year. I'm not holding any hope for my western app this year, it's probably 3.85 lol.

Archived