Premed 101 Forums

USA Neurosurgery Residencies

are you aware that there are no neurosurgery jobs in Canada? you're better off doing residency in the states and staying there.

How does it work about PhD/MDs from Canada who finish their residencies in the States about getting an academic position in the US? Do most US institutions have a preference for their citizens or people who've finished Med school in the states?

I think very few people in this forum have first hand experience with US neurosurg residencies, let alone landing staff positions down there.

I can speak from my very basic knowledge of job hunting for radiology in Canada but I think these concepts are widely applicable. The most focus is put on whether you can fill the need of their group . Where radiology groups may ask if you're happy reading mammo, the neurosurg group may ask if you're happy doing X procedure. If you are, and they feel that they'd like to work with you from your interview, I imagine that would count for a lot. You absolutely need the right kind of visa or a greencard. You most likely, if not absolutely, need to complete all three steps of the boards. At this stage, I wager that it is strongly implied that you're willing to move to where ever you apply so I doubt your location would be an issue. The reputation of your fellowship institution may be considered, so it helps to train in a top tier fellowship program. Fortunately getting top tier fellowships is generally much less competitive than residencies.

• 2 weeks later...

If jobs are so hard to find in neurosx, why is it such a competitive specialty?

Also, there are jobs, but they're just hard to come by. I think it also depends on the location: Toronto seems to be tops for neurosx, because if you look at the recent grads from Toronto, they've all gotten jobs either at Toronto or in the GTA (Hamilton/London ON) area.

• 1 year later...

This doesn't happen for any other specialty in the US, but for neurosurgery Toronto is always mentioned with a couple of top US insitutions to train at for residency. Toronto Neurosurgery is truly elite, wouldn't be surprised about them being able to stick in and around TO, if that's the case.

How does it work about PhD/MDs from Canada who finish their residencies in the States about getting an academic position in the US? Do most US institutions have a preference for their citizens or people who've finished Med school in the states?

They definitely won't care about medical school at that point. They probably wouldn't prefer someone from the US over someone from Canada, they mainly would care about whether or not they like you as a person, and whether or not your skills and goals would fit with them. A work visa might be an issue though i'm not sure as to how you would get one but i'm guessing if its an H1B it won't be easy to get or cheap. 

Archived