Premed 101 Forums

The use of Dummies in med school

During pre-clerkship we practiced clinical skills on dummies a few times and we had a pediatrics OSCE with a dummy too. They're also used for ACLS training during clerkship. I would say though that our simulation centre is used a lot more during residence than pre-clerkship/clerkship.

In both residency and med school I have worked with more advanced simulation manikins then those depicted in the video. This stuff is very very common.

Simulation is very hot right now in medical education. It is a heavily researched area. It is actually pretty mind blowing how real they can make it. Usually the room and equipment in it is identical to a real room in the hospital such as a trauma bay. For some things it is really great. Running less common trauma algorithms, practicing your less practiced procedures, etc.

Hi guys,

I am starting med school this fall and curious to know how prevalent is the use of dummies in our Canadian med schools. The practice is getting ground in US schools, as evidenced by the following news report:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57578272/how-dummies-drills-aid-medical-training/

got LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS THEY GONNA TAKE OVER THE WORLD

Archived