Premed 101 Forums

Physiotherapy for Year 2014

Hi guys, I am reading the comments here and I have some concerns about how my GPA will be calculated.

I am from York, so they check my last 60 credits, i took 36 in the F/W semester, will take 15 in the summer, and will take 9 in the fall, will the fall marks be calculated in the GPA? it is considered a "new year" so im concerned they will decide to calculate my 3rd year instead :confused::eek:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well here's hoping you get in this time around. I'm really glad OT is not quite as competitive as PT - it keeps my hope up there for this year and if not for sure next!

I wonder if most people are like me and never looked into what OT is all about. Best of luck to you as well!

Hi guys, I am reading the comments here and I have some concerns about how my GPA will be calculated.

I am from York, so they check my last 60 credits, i took 36 in the F/W semester, will take 15 in the summer, and will take 9 in the fall, will the fall marks be calculated in the GPA? it is considered a "new year" so im concerned they will decide to calculate my 3rd year instead :confused::eek:

If those numbers are accurate, then yes those are the exact 60 credits that will be entered.

I feel like I am going to have to reapply next year - which I am ok with, I could definitely use a year to save money. Over my third and fourth year I have 9 credits (18 half credits) if I take an online course that is worth 1 full credit will that ensure second year no longer effects my calculations or will I have to take 2 courses to make it "20 course lengths"?

20 half-course length is the requirement. If you already have 18 half-credits and take one more full-credit course, then you should fulfill the 20 credit requirement.

Perfect! Thank you - I registered for a course with Ryerson today - then re-read the requirements and almost had a tiny heart attack.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I just received my final grades and will have a Sub3.80 GPA and Cum GPA 3.65 for the next application cycle. Based on the way the GPA is going to the moon, would anyone let it ride or try and bring it up? I have 2 B+ in my last 20 courses and it would take 8 courses to bump those off. To my understanding, if you upgrade a course and the old grade still falls within the last 20 credits, both grades will be counted? Can anyone confirm?

I have a question. I just received my final grades and will have a Sub3.80 GPA and Cum GPA 3.65 for the next application cycle. Based on the way the GPA is going to the moon, would anyone let it ride or try and bring it up? I have 2 B+ in my last 20 courses and it would take 8 courses to bump those off. To my understanding, if you upgrade a course and the old grade still falls within the last 20 credits, both grades will be counted? Can anyone confirm?

To my understanding, as long as they fall within those 60 credits, both grades will be considered.

Yeah don't bother retaking anything because both will be used to calculate your sub gpa if they fall within the last 60. I would be tempted to just ride in with the grades you have because those are exceptional but maybe take one course to get an A+ in to guarantee yourself because it is cutting a bit close given the gpa trends.

To my understanding, as long as they fall within those 60 credits, both grades will be considered.

Yes you are right, talked to ORPAS today and they confirmed it. Bummed about cum GPA. When I went to university the first time I did horrible and got the boot. I was able to reapply as a mature student years later and now I have a sub 3.80 cum 3.50 when you factor in my grades from the stone age. I want to apply to Queens so Im going to have to call them and find out if I should bother because my cum GPA is poop. Rather not waste cash like I did this year.

Yes you are right, talked to ORPAS today and they confirmed it. Bummed about cum GPA. When I went to university the first time I did horrible and got the boot. I was able to reapply as a mature student years later and now I have a sub 3.80 cum 3.50 when you factor in my grades from the stone age. I want to apply to Queens so Im going to have to call them and find out if I should bother because my cum GPA is poop. Rather not waste cash like I did this year.

I really think 3.8 subGPA is great enough for the interviews.. that would be all that matters as then it is the interview that determines your fate. and I truly don't think they take cumGPA as seriously, at least that's what the current students say. Didn't you say you didn't apply to Queens this year because you couldn't go there? nonetheless, I'd be happy with your GPA :) stupid B+'s they can go jump off a bridge!

I really think 3.8 subGPA is great enough for the interviews.. that would be all that matters as then it is the interview that determines your fate. and I truly don't think they take cumGPA as seriously, at least that's what the current students say. Didn't you say you didn't apply to Queens this year because you couldn't go there? nonetheless, I'd be happy with your GPA :) stupid B+'s they can go jump off a bridge!

Yes you are correct. I didn't apply to queens this year because of my children and my wife's job; however, this week we agreed that if need be we will sell out house or rent it and move to Kingston. I have 2 lousy B+ and upgrading won't help enough to justify the expense. So I will go wherever. PT is what I know and where my experience lies so I won't be picky next time.

Yes you are correct. I didn't apply to queens this year because of my children and my wife's job; however, this week we agreed that if need be we will sell out house or rent it and move to Kingston. I have 2 lousy B+ and upgrading won't help enough to justify the expense. So I will go wherever. PT is what I know and where my experience lies so I won't be picky next time.

I respect you man. I truly hope you get in and I'm sure you will.

Archived