Premed 101 Forums

May 15th Support thread

I don't know about everyone else, but I keep checking this forum 3-10x a day looking for some discussion about May 15th. Anyone else just need to talk about it lol. I was doing well and...now, I cannot keep my mind off of it. Good workouts though :)

It is getting to me because I know they are making decisions this month...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about everyone else, but I keep checking this forum 3-10x a day looking for some discussion about May 15th. Anyone else just need to talk about it lol. I was doing well and...now, I cannot keep my mind off of it. Good workouts though :)

It is getting to me because I know they are making decisions this month...

Hi Monty

The only news I heard was that they are reducing the number of seats for med students this year due to budget cuts.

:D;) ;)

Hi Monty

The only news I heard was that they are reducing the number of seats for med students this year due to budget cuts.

I'm just speculating, but I feel that OOP seats will be cut moreso than IP seats if these budget cuts are the case.

Seriously?!

Why this year! :( :( :(

And how much of a reduction are we talking about? 10 students? 50 students:eek: !!

Again, not sure about this, but I heard there was a news article that talked about this issue. Also, I think it would be interesting to see which seats are being cut. Will seats at only VFMP be cut or will this be implemented equally throughout the different campuses.

Hi Monty

Hey murphy, do the seats reduction apply to applicants in the current 2012-2013 cycle, or those in the next cycle (2013-2014). I asked b/c at the post-interview briefing, we were specifically told that there are a total of 288 seats (192 for VFMP, 32 for each of the 3 other sites). Unless there is a sudden change that we don't know...

Seriously?!

Why this year! :( :( :(

And how much of a reduction are we talking about? 10 students? 50 students:eek: !!

I am not sure but if UBC follows Calgary, then there would be about a 10% reduction in # of seats. So we are looking at about 28-30 seats less.

Not sure how those cuts will impact OOPs. If everyone is placed on the same ranking list post-interview, then I figure that the budget cut will only impact the bottom 30 applicants, which I believe are unlikely to be OOPs, since most OOPs have stellar GPA, MCATs and ECs, and would rank higher on that list.

So Medplease, if your GPA>90%, and you have >30 for MCATs, you should have nohting to worry about.

I am not sure but if UBC follows Calgary, then there would be about a 10% reduction in # of seats. So we are looking at about 28-30 seats less.

Not sure how those cuts will impact OOPs. If everyone is placed on the same ranking list post-interview, then I figure that the budget cut will only impact the bottom 30 applicants, which I believe are unlikely to be OOPs, since most OOPs have stellar GPA, MCATs and ECs, and would rank higher on that list.

So Medplease, if your GPA>90%, and you have >30 for MCATs, you should have nohting to worry about.

Calgary cuts are base on their provincial budget deficit. We are in a different province here

LOL

It was a joke. Med students have not heard ANY news to indicate seats being cut. Couldnt u tell im kidding from my three evil smilies. My god :D

Nice joke Murphy!!! LOL... you are 11 days late! =)

Yeah, I know BC and Alberta are diff provinces. I just guess that 10% would be a nice number if UBC wants to cut seats.

Do keep us inform of developments if you have any. The wait is driving some of us NUTZ!!! :D

Nice joke Murphy!!! LOL... you are 11 days late! =)

Yeah, I know BC and Alberta are diff provinces. I just guess that 10% would be a nice number if UBC wants to cut seats.

Do keep us inform of developments if you have any. The wait is driving some of us NUTZ!!! :D

I felt the need to tease because of OP's post.... :P anyway i will be nice. It is a high stress time of year now!

Ubc is having trouble finding clinical placements for all students since major expansion but you will know well in advance from official source if there were any plans to downsize. There are major curriculum changes coming in that will be a big impact in the new cohort

LOL

It was a joke. Med students have not heard ANY news to indicate seats being cut. Couldnt u tell im kidding from my three evil smilies. My god :D

As soon as I read it I thought "meanest troll comment ever! People are going to take this so seriously."

If any school would do it, it would be Calgary. :)

Still, 2 weeks earlier is not at all likely.

Yeah I have to say that Dr. Walker seems pretty cool and the University of Calgary seems down to Earth. If this year doesn't work out maybe I need to execute a little "plan polar bear" myself Kyla :)

This year, May 14th falls on a Tuesday. Last year, it was on a Monday, so Calgary let the cat out of the bag on Friday so as not to torture applicants all weekend. It was very kind. :) That being said, they may wait til the Monday if they're not ready on Friday or just on principle, since I think all the schools in the country agree on one date together. I hope that for every applicant's sake, they go rebellious and still give results on the Friday (May 10th this year).

Hi Monty

Murphy: do you know if the interviewers are the same each year, or some of them are the same to previous years? You had been gone through several year's interview,so may have some idea.

Murphy: do you know if the interviewers are the same each year, or some of them are the same to previous years? You had been gone through several year's interview,so may have some idea.

Well I'm not Murphy but I had a repeat interviewer this year :) it was funny to see a familiar face. Only one that I remembered anyway.

Archived