Premed 101 Forums

May 15th Support thread

Things have changed a lot at UBC. They are much more strict with their GPA issues. I have a 78% at UBC and my NAQ about 45 and I couldn't even get an interview.

I don't remember the exact AQ but it was around 10/50.

The times are a chanin' on the west coast. Very 'U of T' ish. But it's an awesome school so they get to do whatever they want. Dang.

Well I got in with a 77% average so it's definitely possible :)

[Edit] Should also add though that this was 2 years ago before we were allowed to drop a year. I messed up my first year really really bad (low 60's). Without my first year my average was something more like 84'ish. Nonetheless, my cumulative average was much lower than the class average. Bottom line - if you have been given an interview, you have a shot.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I ask what your MCAT was? My aGPA is 84.8, so not terrible but definitely below the average, and my MCAT is 30Q, also pretty average. No one really knows how much the MCAT weighs in, but I keep having a nagging feeling that it could drag me down.

Why don't you take another MCAT till the sores are more competitive, at least like 32?

That's the plan if I don't get accepted on the 15th :)

I ever collected some statistic info. from the last year acceptance posted here, and found something interesting: if with about 90% GPA, MCAT could be as low as 29; if with +/-85% GPA, MCAT shall be around 36; if with <85% GPA, MCAT shall be as high as possible, like 38.

I ever collected some statistic info. from the last year acceptance posted here, and found something interesting: if with about 90% GPA, MCAT could be as low as 29; if with +/-85% GPA, MCAT shall be around 36; if with <85% GPA, MCAT shall be as high as possible, like 38.

How is it then that the average MCAT score is 10.74Q?

How is it then that the average MCAT score is 10.74Q?

Average MCAT of 32 means to scores must range from 27-37 (37 is a soft upper end, but just using it based on people's posts), with possible outliers in the <27 and >37 range. I think it's difficult to match a GPA to MCAT score that guarantees acceptance because we dont know how heavily weighted the MCAT is. I am thinking GPA with interview rating would give a better correlation to potential acceptance.

Things have changed a lot at UBC. They are much more strict with their GPA issues. I have a 78% at UBC and my NAQ about 45 and I couldn't even get an interview.

The times are a chanin' on the west coast. Very 'U of T' ish. But it's an awesome school so they get to do whatever they want. Dang.

There has been no change to the weight of your AQ/NAQ at UBC. It has always been 50/50 for determining if you get an interview. The only thing that has changed is the evaluation of AQ...I'd argue that it'd actually be easier for me to get in now than it was before given the luxury of being able to drop a year [with a dropped year ~84 average and near perfect score for NAQ].

I should probably clarify that prior to being able to a drop a year, your AQ score was 60% overall GPA and 40% last 60 credits. My 77 was only my overall GPA...I think my "application GPA" (with my last 60 factored in) was somewhere closer to 82.

And my MCAT score was 30R - nothing special.

Yeah GPA needs to be absolute minimum ~80-82% these days or you have zero chance. You can crunch numbers but you need perfect NAQ to interview with very low 80s GPA.

Less than 2 weeks! I think the nerves are really beginning to sink in now! What scares me the most is not knowing how much the MCAT counts...

Are all Canadian schools this vague about post-interview scoring?

Less than 2 weeks! I think the nerves are really beginning to sink in now! What scares me the most is not knowing how much the MCAT counts...

Are all Canadian schools this vague about post-interview scoring?

Yeah me as well. My mcat is the weakest part of my application. My GPA is about on average for interviewees. So it comes down to NAQ, interview, and MCAT. Nervous...yep.

Other schools are vague, others are not and there are always hose applicants that get in with lower than average stats in every category regardless.

Yeah me as well. My mcat is the weakest part of my application. My GPA is about on average for interviewees. So it comes down to NAQ, interview, and MCAT. Nervous...yep.

What is the lowest MCAT UBC considers? I have heard from current UBC med students of friends who had as low as 26x and were accepted! They were not 90%+ GPA students either... That really makes you wonder how much MCAT is factored into the decision.

What is the lowest MCAT UBC considers? I have heard from current UBC med students of friends who had as low as 26x and were accepted! They were not 90%+ GPA students either... That really makes you wonder how much MCAT is factored into the decision.

Well hearing that is a bit of relief!

Just to add on to the above I know of several friends accepted to the VFMP last year with MCAT scores ranging from 26-29, and they all had GPAs ~85%. The thing about these individuals is that they are good, caring people who I would assume did very well at their interviews.

Another girl I know was rejected post interview last year, she had close to a 90% GPA and had an MCAT score of 36 :eek:. For lack of a better term, she is "socially awkward" compared to those who I know of that have been accepted.

26 is the lowest score I've heard accepted, but keep in mind that they "weigh" sections of the MCAT differently so a 26 can technically be "better" than a 27 at UBC. The MCAT importance truly is a mystery.

Less than 2 weeks everyone :)

There has been no change to the weight of your AQ/NAQ at UBC. It has always been 50/50 for determining if you get an interview. The only thing that has changed is the evaluation of AQ...I'd argue that it'd actually be easier for me to get in now than it was before given the luxury of being able to drop a year [with a dropped year ~84 average and near perfect score for NAQ].

I should probably clarify that prior to being able to a drop a year, your AQ score was 60% overall GPA and 40% last 60 credits. My 77 was only my overall GPA...I think my "application GPA" (with my last 60 factored in) was somewhere closer to 82.

And my MCAT score was 30R - nothing special.

songofdovely, with all due respect, "weight" of AQ/NAQ is not the whole story. You've had this explained to you over and over again.

It is statistics. It's variance and standard deviations.

There is a new AQ formula that makes it significantly less likely that a person with a low GPA will get an interview. If you have 77%, as you did, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get an interview this year. You needed a TFR of 73.04, and with an NAQ of 50/50, and a GPA of 77%, you would have had about an AQ of 6.7. You would not have gotten an interview.

I understand that if you'd been allowed to drop a poor year you would not be using a GPA of 77%. Still, you cannot keep going on about how AQ and NAQ are weighted equally. By the letter, they are, but your AQ has a higher predictive value of whther or not you will recieve an interview or an offer. It is really that simple. The NAQ does not vary that much, there are certainly very few applicants with an NAQ of <5 and few >40. There are very many applicants with AQ <10 and many, many >40.

Look here:

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/12/Interim-Statistics-2012-13-MED-2017.pdf

Do you notice something? All applicants had an avaerage AQ of 32.9. Invited applicants, average AQ 40.3. All applicants, average NAQ 30. Invited, average NAQ 32.7. That means that it virtually doesn't matter what your NAQ is, really all that matters is your AQ. So even though they are scored out of the same number (50), they are NOT EFFECTIVELY WEIGHTED EQUALLY. Please stop saying they are.

I think that UBC is free to do whatever they like, and honestly it doesn't matter to me now anyways.

songofdovely, with all due respect, "weight" of AQ/NAQ is not the whole story. You've had this explained to you over and over again.

It is statistics. It's variance and standard deviations.

There is a new AQ formula that makes it significantly less likely that a person with a low GPA will get an interview. If you have 77%, as you did, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get an interview this year. You needed a TFR of 73.04, and with an NAQ of 50/50, and a GPA of 77%, you would have had about an AQ of 6.7. You would not have gotten an interview.

I understand that if you'd been allowed to drop a poor year you would not be using a GPA of 77%. Still, you cannot keep going on about how AQ and NAQ are weighted equally. By the letter, they are, but your AQ has a higher predictive value of whther or not you will recieve an interview or an offer. It is really that simple. The NAQ does not vary that much, there are certainly very few applicants with an NAQ of <5 and few >40. There are very many applicants with AQ <10 and many, many >40.

Look here:

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/12/Interim-Statistics-2012-13-MED-2017.pdf

Do you notice something? All applicants had an avaerage AQ of 32.9. Invited applicants, average AQ 40.3. All applicants, average NAQ 30. Invited, average NAQ 32.7. That means that it virtually doesn't matter what your NAQ is, really all that matters is your AQ. So even though they are scored out of the same number (50), they are NOT EFFECTIVELY WEIGHTED EQUALLY. Please stop saying they are.

I think that UBC is free to do whatever they like, and honestly it doesn't matter to me now anyways.

I am confused about your (kylamonkey's) comment. What do you mean they are not weighted equally? TFR is simply AQ + NAQ, and they are each out of 50. Since this year's IP cut-off is 62.05, an IP applicant with NAQ of 50 and an AQ of 12.05 would get an interview just as another applicant with NAQ of 12.05 and an AQ of 50 would. Right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

That means that it virtually doesn't matter what your NAQ is, really all that matters is your AQ. So even though they are scored out of the same number (50), they are NOT EFFECTIVELY WEIGHTED EQUALLY. Please stop saying they are.

Fully agree. It is commonly said that they are "weighted equally", but just because they report two numbers, both out of 50, doesn't mean that NAQ/AQ are weighted equally. AQ determines much more in terms of who gets accepted to med school.

With a perfect interview, NAQ, research and MCAT, it's still a miracle if you get in with a low 80s aGPA.

Since this year's IP cut-off is 62.05, an IP applicant with NAQ of 50 and an AQ of 12.05 would get an interview just as another applicant with NAQ of 12.05 and an AQ of 50 would. Right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

What you wrote is exactly correct. But this does not mean that they are "weighted equally" in a broad sense. Re-read Kyla's post and read the statistics.

Regarding NAQ: (a) it determines little once you get an interview, especially if you believe that CBC article, and (B) has less to do with getting an interview than AQ does

As I mentioned in the past, another interesting thing I've noticed at UBC, anecdotally, is that people with low GPAs invariably have outstanding research achievements (eg. published in the lancet) or MCAT scores (eg. 37+)

I guess you are right about that being anecdotal because I have also noticed the same thing for people with high GPA lol.

Anyways, I agree with what murphy and kyla are saying regarding the AQ vs. NAQ. While they are each 50/50 the NAQ has little variation and most people end up getting similar scores where as the AQ varies significantly with a slight change in %. Now there is the issue of whether I think thats fair or not, and I think that practically speaking it is fair. Its hard to evaluate NAQ, and control it for things such as applicant age.

Regarding NAQ: (a) it determines little once you get an interview, especially if you believe that CBC article, and (B) has less to do with getting an interview than AQ does

Why do people not believe the CBC article when even the Dean of Admissions says "they just don't understand what we are trying to achieve." From that quote it sounds like the information must be true or why else would he say that?

As I mentioned in the past, another interesting thing I've noticed at UBC, anecdotally, is that people with low GPAs invariably have outstanding research achievements (eg. published in the lancet) or MCAT scores (eg. 37+)

Hi, I have a question: how frequently will they release the acceptance to the applicants who are waitlisted, once a week, or everyday possibly? I will travel out of province. If waitlisted, should I check my email everyday?

Sorry to derail the thread.

It doesn't metter to me anyways anymore. What they are "trying to achieve" is to keep people like me out. I don't care, I'm risky because I have a 10% in differential equations from 1998. I know that. That's why I changed my tactics, because it was obvious t me that UBC didn't want me. The fact that UBC got rid of the 10-yr-rul and UofC implemented it means that they value the committment I am willing to make, and see me as having value to the profession.

I can tell you that I am very much desired in my community as a future physician. UBC doesn't want me, but they do, and I will work very hard for them and to serve them.

My mstake in the original post- it's 62.05 to get a TFR as an IP. That means if you get a perfect NAQ of 50, you still need almost 79% average to even get to the interview stage.

77% is mathematically impossible to even get an interview anymore, and that is the bottom line.

Sorry to derail the thread.

It doesn't metter to me anyways anymore. What they are "trying to achieve" is to keep people like me out. I don't care, I'm risky because I have a 10% in differential equations from 1998. I know that. That's why I changed my tactics, because it was obvious t me that UBC didn't want me. The fact that UBC got rid of the 10-yr-rul and UofC implemented it means that they value the committment I am willing to make, and see me as having value to the profession.

I can tell you that I am very much desired in my community as a future physician. UBC doesn't want me, but they do, and I will work very hard for them and to serve them.

My mstake in the original post- it's 62.05 to get a TFR as an IP. That means if you get a perfect NAQ of 50, you still need almost 79% average to even get to the interview stage.

77% is mathematically impossible to even get an interview anymore, and that is the bottom line.

Hey Kyla, I don't mean to be rude, but why do you think that UBC's method of academic evaluation is unfair? True, they remove the 10-yr rule, but they have replaced it by allowing you to drop your worst year. That's means that if they still drop your 10% in DE if it belongs to your worst year (I hope it did). Of course if one mess up >1 yr, they will be in trouble. I would like to think that a final grade of 10% is serious enough to wake someone up from his/her enchantment, and work harder in subsequent years. I, for one, messed up my 1st year too, and I have since strive to improve my grades. This is b/c I know I truly want medicine, and as much as they are some who insist that you don't have to be an Einstein to do med, I would like to think that most people will have more confidence in the healthcare system if they know that they are getting help/treatment from medical experts (I will be very worried if I learn that my physician has been repeatedly failing his courses during undergrad).

I would like to say that you have my deepest respect for still trying to get into med at that age (I may not have that kind of determination myself). I sincerely believe that you would work hard to serve your community in wherever you end up practicing, but I am very confident that you are not the only one who is willing to make this commitment. Since the number of applicants far-exceeds the number of spots at UBC, it is only fair that UBC is offers interview/acceptance based on academic merit.

Having said that, I wish you and the rest of you who are reading this best of luck next week. Most of us, including myself, are eagerly anticipating the results next week, and I hope we all get some good news. Cheers to all! :)

Archived