Premed 101 Forums

May 15th Support thread

Two weeks and two days! Good luck everyone the days have been flying for me now. Getting more nervous about it by the day. Somedays I feel like this year will finally be my year and other days I am thinking of ideas for alternate careers! Thank god there are people in these forums who have applied more time than me, any repeat applicants wonder how many cycles you can actually handle?

Two week (forget the two extra days!)

How many times have you applied thus far?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has probably been said before but:

Given that OOP interviewees tend to skew the Interview GPA Average (87.33% in 2012) and Acceptance GPA Average ends up being lower (86.45% in 2012) has any statistics wiz been able to figure out the Average Acceptance GPA of IP applicants? I never took a stats course or else I would try to figure it out!

Two week (forget the two extra days!)

How many times have you applied thus far?

Third year here as well. Fourth if you count my application in third year sciences where I was dq for missing paper work lol.

+1

Given that OOP interviewees tend to skew the Interview GPA Average (87.33% in 2012) and Acceptance GPA Average ends up being lower (86.45% in 2012) has any statistics wiz been able to figure out the Average Acceptance GPA of IP applicants? I never took a stats course or else I would try to figure it out!

+1

you don't need statistics, it's just an algebra problem.

The trouble is there isn't enough information.

However, if we say that 90% of accepted individuals are from IP, 10% from OOP, and we assume that the average GPA of OOP applicants accepted is something like 92% (not unreasonable, I think), that means that the IP accepted GPA is 85.8% - not too substantial of a drop. You're right in saying OOP scores skew it, but not as much as you'd think at first glance because of the low weighting of OOP acceptance.

Even if the GPA of all OOP students accepted is 100%, then the average IP percent score is still 85.0%.

Unless I'm interpreting wrong, I thought that the overall and adjusted average for interviewees was around 89%.

On the Interm Stats, it says that the average GPA for interviewees was 87.54% (87.05% for IP and 90.98% for OOP). As noted before, given that 80 interviewees are OOP and tend to have a higher GPA, the average acceptance GPA is usually 1% lower than average interview GPA because there is max 29 OOP seats available.

Hope this clears the air :)

If 2 applicants, one has higher GPA with below average interview score, the other has lower GPA with above average interview score, how is the selection made?

MCAT score, ECs, and letters... I would imagine there are a number of factors contributing to the decision of similar GPA applicants due to nearly half of interviewees with an 85%-90% GPA being accepted and half being rejected. You would have to think that the majority of applicants in that range would be "average" interviewers, only furthering the assumption that a number of factors contribute to one's acceptance.

MCAT score, ECs, and letters... I would imagine there are a number of factors contributing to the decision of similar GPA applicants due to nearly half of interviewees with an 85%-90% GPA being accepted and half being rejected. You would have to think that the majority of applicants in that range would be "average" interviewers, only furthering the assumption that a number of factors contribute to one's acceptance.

I am in the range of 80-84% GPA. This year the average GPA of interviewers is already 87%. This makes me feel hopeless.

I am in the range of 80-84% GPA. This year the average GPA of interviewers is already 87%. This makes me feel hopeless.

Don't feel hopeless! 32% of last years acceptance class had a GPA ranging from 80%-85%, so someone has to make up that percentage! Just believe it :)

Don't feel hopeless! 32% of last years acceptance class had a GPA ranging from 80%-85%, so someone has to make up that percentage! Just believe it :)

Thanks for your consolation! I guess the inrerview score MAY work in this way: it is a cut-off line. For the ones who have >85% GPA with below average interview scores, may not get the offer, like one of my friends last year. For the ones who have <85% GPA with above average interview scores, may get waitlisted or offer.

I guess the inrerview score MAY work in this way: it is a cut-off line. For the ones who have >85% GPA with below average interview scores, may not get the offer, like one of my friends last year. For the ones who have <85% GPA with above average interview scores, may get waitlisted or offer.

I would agree. As a patient, I wouldn't want an A+ student who cannot hold a sophisticated and naturally flowing 7 minute conversation; I am sure the <85% GPA doctor is similarly competent at his/her job.

Thanks for your consolation! I guess the inrerview score MAY work in this way: it is a cut-off line. For the ones who have >85% GPA with below average interview scores, may not get the offer, like one of my friends last year. For the ones who have <85% GPA with above average interview scores, may get waitlisted or offer.

Well I got in with a 77% average so it's definitely possible :)

[Edit] Should also add though that this was 2 years ago before we were allowed to drop a year. I messed up my first year really really bad (low 60's). Without my first year my average was something more like 84'ish. Nonetheless, my cumulative average was much lower than the class average. Bottom line - if you have been given an interview, you have a shot.

Well I got in with a 77% average so it's definitely possible :)

[Edit] Should also add though that this was 2 years ago before we were allowed to drop a year. I messed up my first year really really bad (low 60's). Without my first year my average was something more like 84'ish. Nonetheless, my cumulative average was much lower than the class average. Bottom line - if you have been given an interview, you have a shot.

Can I ask what your MCAT was? My aGPA is 84.8, so not terrible but definitely below the average, and my MCAT is 30Q, also pretty average. No one really knows how much the MCAT weighs in, but I keep having a nagging feeling that it could drag me down.

Archived