Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys, so I was talking to a few friends who are in the middle of their Masters degrees and still want to go into Medicine. It seems the majority of them say that they are going to wait to finish their degree before they attempt to apply again. A few of them have said that they intend on applying this next year (while in the middle of their degree) and would leave their lab if they get accepted.

Personally, I would not want to do a masters with the sole intention of getting into medical school, I feel as if there are other alternatives that could make you a better candidate.

Anyway, my back up plan is to apply to McMasters PA program or a Nursing program. My question is, if I am get accepted into these programs and apply to medicine while I am still in said program, would it be frowned upon to 'ditch' it for medical school?

Frowned upon by who?

Anyway, my back up plan is to apply to McMasters PA program or a Nursing program. My question is, if I am get accepted into these programs and apply to medicine while I am still in said program, would it be frowned upon to 'ditch' it for medical school?

I'm a 3rd year nursing student I would say no it doesn't work against you when you're considered by adcoms, however don't ever bring it up in front of your instructors, clinical or otherwise. I made that mistake and I'm now paying for it. Nursing schools wants to retain nurses and honestly that seat could have been used for someone who actually wanted to be a nurse but people change their minds, myself for example. I would say go for nursing. I just finished my clinical for the year and in the spring I'm doing a few more prereqs. I have it harder than most of my classmates as I never really get a break but it's definitely worth it, and if I don't get into med school on the first try I have a $40/hr job to fall back on.

=Anyway, my back up plan is to apply to McMasters PA program or a Nursing program. My question is, if I am get accepted into these programs and apply to medicine while I am still in said program, would it be frowned upon to 'ditch' it for medical school?

You say apply to medicine-but being in PA school is learning medicine...

I think if you want to apply to medical school, then apply to medical school. If you want to apply to PA school, then apply to PA school. Remember, it's almost as tough-if not as hard now-to get into PA school as it is medical school. And it's only going to get harder with more bight applicants each year as the profession becomes more well known.

Not sure about other schools, but at my school, med school interviews consist of an MMI. PA school consists of an essay on the spot, MMI and panel interview that is a day long event. I think one would be fooling themselves to think getting into PA school would be easier than med school. So do PA schoo, and then after apply to med school. Your chances are probably just as equally good either way.

I'm a 3rd year nursing student I would say no it doesn't work against you when you're considered by adcoms, however don't ever bring it up in front of your instructors, clinical or otherwise. I made that mistake and I'm now paying for it. Nursing schools wants to retain nurses and honestly that seat could have been used for someone who actually wanted to be a nurse but people change their minds, myself for example. I would say go for nursing. I just finished my clinical for the year and in the spring I'm doing a few more prereqs. I have it harder than most of my classmates as I never really get a break but it's definitely worth it, and if I don't get into med school on the first try I have a $40/hr job to fall back on.

Yeah, I guess it's one of those things that MIGHT be implied for some, but people don't need brought to the forefront. Might I ask why are you paying for it? Loss of respect from your instructors? Or do they see you lacking commitment?

Frowned upon by who?

For an MSc, I would feel at least some sort of commitment to a lab that accepted me and the people who put their faith in my skills/knowledge to help them/myself succeed. I've been with my current lab for 2 years, to do another year/two with them (MSc) and then say "see ya" at the first chance of an MD, really makes me look bad.

I would think it's the same for the small PA classes (40 students in McMaster?). You study together, work together, hang out together and then one of them leaves to pursue an MD instead.

Granted, generally I choose to base my opinions off of my own beliefs, not what others think of me. But if it involves burning bridges I would much rather do an alternative.

You say apply to medicine-but being in PA school is learning medicine...

I think if you want to apply to medical school, then apply to medical school. If you want to apply to PA school, then apply to PA school. Remember, it's almost as tough-if not as hard now-to get into PA school as it is medical school. And it's only going to get harder with more bight applicants each year as the profession becomes more well known.

Not sure about other schools, but at my school, med school interviews consist of an MMI. PA school consists of an essay on the spot, MMI and panel interview that is a day long event. I think one would be fooling themselves to think getting into PA school would be easier than med school. So do PA schoo, and then after apply to med school. Your chances are probably just as equally good either way.

I was describing a scenario where I applied to medicine (MD) and was rejected, while at the same time I also applied to PA/Nursing programs. I don't want to be like all my other peers, who are pursuing MSc/PhDs (which apparently do not offer much help in Canada). I genuinely feel drawn to healthcare for personal and professional reasons. I feel that PA/Nursing is a good alternative which can show my interest/commitment to healthcare outside of an MD program (which is my end goal).

Yeah, I guess it's one of those things that MIGHT be implied for some, but people don't need brought to the forefront. Might I ask why are you paying for it? Loss of respect from your instructors? Or do they see you lacking commitment?

Although stressful at times I've found nursing to be very rewarding. One thing I loved about it was the patient interaction, as a physician you probably never really have time to get to know a patient as much a nurse might. Sounds cheesy, but with nursing I think you really get a taste of what humanity is all about. I've had the most interesting conversations with patients and then a week later they're whisked away to the morgue. I've held the hand of a dying mother with brain tumor and I cried (I'm not that emotional either). I've done clinical rotations in the NICU and Mental Health and loved them.

However, nursing has limited leadership opportunities which is what I thrive.

I really hate to say it but nursing really is subjective. How you interact with your instructor correlates directly with your clinical grades. Closely after I told my instructors about my pursuits my grades dropped in clinical. Nursing school pushes the social model of health not the medical model and these models conflict so I suppose that's a reason?

Archived