Premed 101 Forums

Med school in Poland then work in Canada?

I want to take the 6 year program in Europe, I've been looking at universities in Poland and I was wondering if this route is a decent alternative to Canadian or American med schools.

I understand that there is no equal alternative, but I still get rewarded an MD. There is where i'm confused, Can i work in Canada after ? I go to high school here, what do i have to do to work in Canada? Do i get payed equally as a Canadian med school graduate? I've heard things like foreign doctors aren't seen as doctors at all in the USA or Canada, is this true? or is it a matter of an exam or something?

Forgive me for my ignorance, I just haven't found what I'm looking for

I want to take the 6 year program in Europe, I've been looking at universities in Poland and I was wondering if this route is a decent alternative to Canadian or American med schools.

I understand that there is no equal alternative, but I still get rewarded an MD. There is where i'm confused, Can i work in Canada after ? I go to high school here, what do i have to do to work in Canada? Do i get payed equally as a Canadian med school graduate? I've heard things like foreign doctors aren't seen as doctors at all in the USA or Canada, is this true? or is it a matter of an exam or something?

Forgive me for my ignorance, I just haven't found what I'm looking for

Yeah, if you go its difficult to come back. If you get to come back you are paid the same as Canadian residents and treated exactly the same. The problem is its difficult to get into a residency program. If you must go, only consider the top medical schools like Jangellonian.

no if u come back u will ONLY be paid in polish currency,

This is such bulls***. I have a good friend who is currently going to Wroclaw Medical college and she feels she is getting a good education there. She was also accepted to UofT and chose Wroclaw.

In their third year they start to prepare you to take the same test all Canadian's and American's have to take. If you pass, that can be a huge determining factor when being accepted to residency programs.

Go there and work hard, come back get a good mark on the exam and hope that you get in to a good residence program OP.

This is such bulls***. I have a good friend who is currently going to Wroclaw Medical college and she feels she is getting a good education there. She was also accepted to UofT and chose Wroclaw.

In their third year they start to prepare you to take the same test all Canadian's and American's have to take. If you pass, that can be a huge determining factor when being accepted to residency programs.

Go there and work hard, come back get a good mark on the exam and hope that you get in to a good residence program OP.

She was accepted to UofT medical school... but chose Wroclaw??

You seriously don't know what you're talking about. No matter what marks you get in Poland you're still an IMG and you will only be competing for the residencies that Canadian grads don't want with other IMGs. Same for the US, where residency spots for IMG is dimishing rapidly. If your friend actually got into UofT med school and chose Poland then she made a completely stupid decision. If it's just undergrad though then that's a different story.

If you pass, that can be a huge determining factor when being accepted to residency programs.

Is this a good option? Yes, from the perspective that you go directly in to medical school from high school and you cut down on time.

But please note, there is no guarantee if you wish to come back to Canada as you are classified as an IMG, and not even a CSA (Canadian Studying Abroad) as there is no such classification.

Secondly, please note that there are a number of factors that determine whether you will be successful in matching to a residency position in Canada and the US.

Doing well on your MCCEE (Canada) and your USMLE I & II (CK & CS) just gets your foot in the door.

Passing the exams is a good place to start, but your actual score is considered as well and you may be ranked on your score. So you want to make sure that you do the best you possibly can in the exams.

So go where you feel is best for you, but always make sure that if you choose to study medicine outside of North America, you note that there is no guarantee when coming back to Canada or the US, as you are considered as an IMG, and there are many, many factors which determine whether you match to a residency. Doing well on the exams is just one of the factors and not the factor.

Good Luck and take care,

Matt

Archived