Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship textbook MUST haves

Larrivee

Hey there!

So I'm starting clerkship next year, and upper years are starting to sell their books. I want to start buying textbooks but there are so many different ones to choose from. So, my question to you wise clerks/docs is, what are some textbooks that are must haves for the different blocks in clerkship? (I am also in a unique situation, such that I need to get most of my books for the beginning of clerkship and not buy them as I need them throughout the year)

If you want you can copy and paste this and add books to each rotation,

Internal:

Surgery:

Paediatrics:

Ortho:

Obs/gyne:

Anesthesia:

Ophtho:

Emerg:

Derm:

Psych:

Family:

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated!

-L

brooksbane

Internal: Approach to Internal Medicine by Hiu for your ward book.

Surgery: Lawrence Essentials of Surgery for general reading.

Paediatrics: not sure. I got mini-Nelson's but its nothing but lists.

Ortho: Not sure. School was weak on ortho

Obs/gyne: Not sure.

Anesthesia: Not sure. They didn't teach us gas at my school

Ophtho: Not sure. Same reason as above

Emerg: First exposure emergency medicine clerkship for general reading, and the Pocket Medicine emergency medicine book for the ER.

Derm: Not sure. Lots of people like baby Fitz.

Psych: Current clinical strategies in psychiatry. It's all lists and drugs, which is all you need.

Family: I used Mosby's but its a pain. I hated reading family medicine books because they're very guideline based, and the guidelines keep changing.

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated!

-L

eastcoast

Wondering what you guys used for family med? We were told at the beginning not to use toronto notes, and I'm not really aware of what is considered the best book. Thanks

Lactic Folly

There were two books recommended to us: one was McWhinney's Textbook of Family Medicine (which I used) - I can't remember the other one.

There was also a binder of guidelines in the family medicine clinic - might have been from the CFPC http://www.cfpc.ca/clinicalpracticeguidelines/

liszt

Are you writing NMBE exams with every (or more) rotations or not?

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

@liszt - yes I believe that we write nbme exams for each rotation.

@ igeorgex: I am not considering anesthesia. I have heard good things about TO notes for anesthesia but am unsure... is that just for general knowledge for the rotation or is that for exam studying as well?

Surgery: Lange Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Surgery. Read the first 100 pages and you will rock the NBME.

Internal med: Case Files. Easy to read. Not too heavy when you've got so much ward crap to deal with. (at least I did)

Medscape app is very helpful to read up on topics on the fly when you have a moment.

Since you're writing American exams, I'd recommend American books geared towards these. These are the shelfs we had to write along with my recommendations:

Internal: Step Up to Medicine 2.

Surgery: Pestana Review. NMS Casebook.

Paediatrics: First Aid. CLIPP Cases. Case Files.

Obs/gyne: Case Files. Hacker & Moore. See if you can get access to the uWise exams for study purposes.

Psych: First Aid. Lange Q & A was ok.

I generally found Case Files to be worthwhile (I bought them used for each subject for like $5, and then sold them for $5), and Pre-Tests pretty useless.

Since you're writing American exams, I'd recommend American books geared towards these. These are the shelfs we had to write along with my recommendations:

Internal: Step Up to Medicine 2.

Surgery: Pestana Review. NMS Casebook.

Paediatrics: First Aid. CLIPP Cases. Case Files.

Obs/gyne: Case Files. Hacker & Moore. See if you can get access to the uWise exams for study purposes.

Psych: First Aid. Lange Q & A was ok.

I generally found Case Files to be worthwhile (I bought them used for each subject for like $5, and then sold them for $5), and Pre-Tests pretty useless.

This is very similar to my book list and I agree with all of them. Some additions:

Internal: Pre-test Review, Cecil Essentials of Medicine, ICU Rounds podcasts

Anesthesia: Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice (I don't actually own this one, but it's pretty good.)

Psych: Pocket DSM-IV

Surgery: Surgical Recall (terrible to study from, but perfect for OR questions), Surgery 101 podcasts

Archived