Premed 101 Forums

Western's website says PLEASE NOTE: Possession of the minimum GPA and MCAT does not guarantee an invitation for an interview.

I feel like premed 101 tends to disagree? Has anyone ever posted about not receiving an interview after just meeting cutoffs?

This happened to my friend, and he was swomen and had an interview in the previous year but not this year; so I'm not entirely sure what happened!

This happened to my friend, and he was swomen and had an interview in the previous year but not this year; so I'm not entirely sure what happened!

and neither do I!

I guess it is always dangerous to speak in absolutes but I have only heard from 2 people in 4 years that didn't - and I don't know what went on in those cases.

Of course the school isn't going to put done in written they WILL give you an interview with the cut offs no matter what. That is a great lose of flexibility to resolve any school - we all can imagine cases where a school might get into trouble with such a policy. Still as an operational rule currently if you meet them you get an interview.

I am, by no means, questioning your friend's punctuality, and please forgive me if I come across that way, but maybe his application was incomplete?

Anyhow, this incident must have been very tough for your friend. I just can't imagine the level of discouragement and disappointment! I certainly hope it doesn't happen to me but I guess no one knows for sure until they actually receive the invitation!

I am, by no means, questioning your friend's punctuality, and please forgive me if I come across that way, but maybe his application was incomplete?

Anyhow, this incident must have been very tough for your friend. I just can't imagine the level of discouragement and disappointment! I certainly hope it doesn't happen to me but I guess no one knows for sure until they actually receive the invitation!

They literally copy and pasted their omsas from the previous year... I will double check with him to see if he entered his new grades (4th year marks) in correctly because that can be the only thing I could imagine as being incomplete and not a direct copy and paste:) thanks for giving me that idea; I will keep you folks posted!

They literally copy and pasted their omsas from the previous year... I will double check with him to see if he entered his new grades (4th year marks) in correctly because that can be the only thing I could imagine as being incomplete and not a direct copy and paste:) thanks for giving me that idea; I will keep you folks posted!

Okay just following this up, I saw his omsas that he saved. He said he triple checked it and I even checked through it. It's definitely complete and was submitted a few days before the deadline... so I still have no idea what happened (but it looks like it definitely is a possibility)!

Western's website says PLEASE NOTE: Possession of the minimum GPA and MCAT does not guarantee an invitation for an interview.

The university wants to have an out so that they can decline to interview any applicant for any reason.

I doubt this happens often, but I'm sure it has in the past. For instance, back when I was a med student I'd occasionally drop by Darla's office to chat. (Darla has since retired, so substitute whomever is the first-line contact for applicants these days). She had some great stories about completely bat sh-t crazy applicants.

The one that sticks in my head is the applicant who was rejected post-interview (for being crazy) and who next year she caught kneeling in the flowerbed outside her window peeking through the blinds at her. Security was called and the situation was resolved peacefully, but she documented the event and made sure the committee was well aware of this person's behaviour before they sent out interview invitations.

I guess the moral of the story is don't piss off the office staff. Second moral of the story is don't worry about getting an interview if you meet the cut-offs.

Addendum - none of which necessarily applies to Tee88's friend, whom I know nothing about.

The university wants to have an out so that they can decline to interview any applicant for any reason.

I doubt this happens often, but I'm sure it has in the past. For instance, back when I was a med student I'd occasionally drop by Darla's office to chat. (Darla has since retired, so substitute whomever is the first-line contact for applicants these days). She had some great stories about completely bat sh-t crazy applicants.

The one that sticks in my head is the applicant who was rejected post-interview (for being crazy) and who next year she caught kneeling in the flowerbed outside her window peeking through the blinds at her. Security was called and the situation was resolved peacefully, but she documented the event and made sure the committee was well aware of this person's behaviour before they sent out interview invitations.

I guess the moral of the story is don't piss off the office staff. Second moral of the story is don't worry about getting an interview if you meet the cut-offs.

Addendum - none of which necessarily applies to Tee88's friend, whom I know nothing about.

Wow!! That is really intense/die-hard! Rest assured my friend is not that crazy and is taking a year to travel before applying again. But hearing that news is the "Are you afraid of the dark?" medical school scary story equivalent!

Archived