Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2013

In preparation for the big day I'm starting this thread in hopes everyone will share their stats for future students (and for our curiosity as well!) You can either put everything in now except the results and edit later or just wait until the 17th.

Here's how it goes:

Applied:

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Put a sentence here where you will choose to go or if you are unsure. Maybe some of us forum goers can help you decide!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start us off! :P

Applied: UfT OT/PT, Mac OT/PT, Western OT/PT, Queens OT/PT, uOttawa PT

Accepted: Western OT, Queens OT

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Mac OT/PT, uOttawa PT, UfT OT/PT, Queens PT

subGPA: 3.68

cumGPA: 3.65

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Essays were OK, not the greatest essay writer. :( Ottawa interview was horrible, MacMaster I thought went quite well. References were good (professor of two years, head of Masters program in my degree and PT Clinic owner).

Going back to my home city of London! Glad to get into OT, since that is what I wanted. :)

Applied: UfT OT/PT, Mac OT/PT, Western OT/PT, Queens OT/PT, McGill PT

Accepted: Queens PT, Western OT, Mac OT, UT OT, Queens OT

Waitlisted: UT PT (way down the list)

Rejected: Mac PT

subGPA: 3.75

cumGPA: 3.5~?

Strong references: one from a professor and one from a PT working in Toronto. Second time around applying, hope this works out.

Edit: Since PT is my number 1 choice, will choose Queens PT and decline all others.

Applied: McMaster PT & OT, U of T PT, UBC PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected: UBC

GPA: 3.76

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Didn't require any essays. I felt confident during and after my interviews although there were a couple of stations during the Mac interviews that didn't go quite as smoothly as others. At one of the stations I could tell the interviewer was less than impressed that I applied to OT and PT simultaneously. During one or two of the stations I just flat-out ran out of things to say. Some of those questions do not require 6 minutes to answer! On the whole though I feel like they went very well. U of T it's very hard to say as they take 60% GPA and 40% interview and my GPA is on the low end.

If nothing pans out for me I was accepted into Glasgow and Leeds as a back-up!

My top choice is U of T PT. (Actually it was UBC but that ship has sailed)

Good luck to everyone!! :)

Applied: UfT OT/PT, Mac OT/PT, Western OT/PT, Queens OT/PT, McGill PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Mac PT

subGPA: 3.75

cumGPA: 3.5~?

Strong references: one from a professor and one from a PT working in Toronto. Second time around applying, hope this works out.

Got a personal email from Queens last week, telling me to apply to a specific scholarship... Don't think anyone else on this forum got it as I asked on the other thread... Hope this is good news?

Not sure if I want to go to Queens though. I am worried about getting a job in Toronto. But if I do get this scholarship (not OGS btw), its basically free tuition. What do you guys think? Like I asked earlier on the other thread, I feel like UT should be my #1 choice due to its clinical placements.

Pink_Tulip: according to what you posted, UT actually went down the list for their CAP invites then?

Oh haha no, I forgot about UfT. I don't want to go there so I forgot about their silly letter they sent me months ago. Sorry!:P

Applied: UfT OT/PT, Mac OT/PT, Western OT/PT, Queens OT/PT

Accepted: Mac PT, Mac OT, Western OT, Queen's OT

Waitlisted: U of T PT/OT

Rejected: Western PT, Queen's PT

subGPA: 3.77

cumGPA: 3.68

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: essays were OK, felt the Mac MMIs went better than the CAP evaluation at U of T, references good

PT and Mac were first choices, so Mac PT it is and will be declining other offers :)

Applied: PT at UT, Mac, Queen's, McGill, U of A, U of Sask

Accepted: Queen's PT, U of A PT

Waitlisted: U of A (OOP) (initially)

Rejected: UT, Mac, McGill

GPA: 3.74 (sub) 3.35 (cum)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I felt excellent about the MMI at U of A and I worked really hard on my Queen's essay. I declined the interview at U of Sask before I realized my GPA was too low for Mac and U of T. I hope I made the right decision!

Queen's has been my first choice all along so I am hoping for the best on Friday. I think that once the Ontario offers are sent out on Friday, several people who were given offers from U of A will decline for other schools, which will hopefully open up a spot for me! This is my second time applying. Good luck to everyone : D

Heading to Queen's PT!

Applied: PT at UT, Mac, Queen's, McGill, U of A, U of Sask

Accepted:

Waitlisted: U of A (OOP)

Rejected: UT, Mac, McGill

GPA: 3.74 (sub) 3.35 (cum)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I felt excellent about the MMI at U of A and I worked really hard on my Queen's essay. I declined the interview at U of Sask before I realized my GPA was too low for Mac and U of T. I hope I made the right decision!

Queen's has been my first choice all along so I am hoping for the best on Friday. I think that once the Ontario offers are sent out on Friday, several people who were given offers from U of A will decline for other schools, which will hopefully open up a spot for me! This is my second time applying. Good luck to everyone : D

Just out of curiosity... Why is Queens your first choice?

Just out of curiosity... Why is Queens your first choice?

Mainly due to personal reasons. I want to be close to both Ottawa and Toronto! I also got the scholarship e-mail from Queen's. Was this not sent to all applicants?

Applied: OT at U of T, Mac, Queen's, and Western

Accepted: Mac, and Queen's

Waitlisted: U of T, and Western

Rejected: No rejections

GPA: 3.68

-I think my essays are strong, but I felt like it wasn't enough room to describe all of my experiences so I may take a huge hit for only briefly mentioning my work experience (I focused on one major experience)

-I think it's safe to say the Mac interviews leave everyone feeling less than confident lol. I don't think I did bad, but I didn't get to work in my personal experiences as much as I would've liked.

-My one referee is a prof I've had for six classes and three placements (one doing programming for seniors in LTC, one with youth at risk, one creating a play therapy summer camp for kids with disabilities), my second referee is my supervisor (a Recreation Therapist) from a rehab team I worked with full-time for 10 weeks at a hospital in Ontario, so I feel confident with my choice in references!

I think that U of T is my number one for various reasons; I want the diversity of placement experience without having to pay double rent for two years to get to the placements, which I know was an issue with a lot of OT's I've talked to who went to non-U of T schools. I'm not naive enough to think U of T placements will lead to Toronto jobs (they simply don't exist), but hopefully the diversity of the catchment area will make me a competitor for non-GTA jobs afterwards. Mac is creeping in as a very close second, though. Queen's had a beautiful campus and great applied classrooms for OT, but the lady who ran their information session really rubbed me the wrong way and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I've never even been to London so it's safe to say Western is my last choice. But honestly I'll take whoever gives me an offer!

Best of luck everyone :)

Applied: UofT OT, Queens OT, Western OT, Mac OT & PT

Accepted: unfortunately none.. will try again next year!

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Mac OT & PT; Western OT; UofT OT; Queens OT

GPA: sub- 3.49; cum-3.56 (Masters GPA is 3.9+, so I'm hoping this will look good even though they don't use masters grades)

I think my essays & resume were good. I have a lot of MSc/undergrad research experience, TAing, a publication, some volunteering in a disabled kids hospital years ago. But I'm not sure if research will look favourable to the committees or not. At this point I'm using whatever I can to make me stand out. I was told anticipating my Masters strengthens my application so who knows.

My references were solid, I used two professors, one was my grad supervisor who is awesome and knows me very well.

My first choice would be UofT since I wouldn't have to move away from home = money saved. But I'll go wherever I need to go.

Mainly due to personal reasons. I want to be close to both Ottawa and Toronto! I also got the scholarship e-mail from Queen's. Was this not sent to all applicants?

I see. Very interesting, perhaps we were the only two who qualified for that email on this forum? lol

I see. Very interesting, perhaps we were the only two who qualified for that email on this forum? lol

Wow I really hope that means good news from Queen's for us on Friday! It might be because it would be a bit inconsiderate on their part to invite applicants who they know will not be admitted to write scholarship essays.

Applied: U of T, Western, Mac ( all PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sub 3.92 cum3.78

Perceived strength of references/ interviews: Good references from a professor of three years and an outpatient clinic supervisor.

I'm having a tough decision deciding between U of T and Western as my first choice but I'm leaning towards U of T!

Guest Physioprospect
Wow I really hope that means good news from Queen's for us on Friday! It might be because it would be a bit inconsiderate on their part to invite applicants who they know will not be admitted to write scholarship essays.

Scholarship essay means nothing. Some people get it some people dont. Lots of people in my class didnt get it and some did.

Scholarship essay means nothing. Some people get it some people dont. Lots of people in my class didnt get it and some did.

I was getting worried that not getting one might be a bad sign so thanks, this at least eases my mind for a few more days.

Applied: UBC OT, UofA OT, UofT OT, UWO OT, Queen's OT

Accepted: UofA

Waitlisted:

Rejected: UBC

sGPA: 3.67, cGPA 3.5

felt essays were okay, references great (professors who I worked with for 2years doing research), didn't have any interviews.

My top choice is anywhere in Ontario for personal reasons, I'm convinced all the programs are of high quality.

Applied: UofT PT, Western PT, Queens PT & Mac PT+OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted: uOttawa PT

Rejected: McGill

sGPA: 3.77, cGPA 3.53

Felt pretty good after both mac interviews, but worried that I'm in the lower range in respect to gpa.

Queens letter was strong. Its my 2nd round applying there and last year, I was "disqualified" due to a mistake based on my prereqs. I've called and rectified that with them after what happened, so I'm hoping that won't be the case this year... I'm debating calling in and making sure my prereqs were accepted. What do u guys think?

CAP is hard to tell, I felt good about it but its difficult to gauge what they're looking for.

Best of luck to you all, you all have worked very hard and I know you deserve it! Keep your heads high

Applied: UBC PT

Accepted: UBC PT

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: 86% average on last 30 credits/ pre-req courses

I was shocked to see that I got in-honestly.

I thought I bombed every station for the MMI, but apparently not.

That, I bombed the MMI, or my references pulled me through.

I did research for the dean of biology for 2 summers and had multiple classes with him, and my other reference was a psychology professor whom I took 2 classes with as well. My volunteer experience was 300+ hours with kids who have autism and I had a great co-worker/ supervisor give me a reference.

I am a BC resident, and did my degree in BC but not from UBC.

Applied: UofT PT, Western PT, Queens PT & Mac PT+OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted: uOttawa PT

Rejected: McGill

sGPA: 3.77, cGPA 3.53

Felt pretty good after both mac interviews, but worried that I'm in the lower range in respect to gpa.

Queens letter was strong. Its my 2nd round applying there and last year, I was "disqualified" due to a mistake based on my prereqs. I've called and rectified that with them after what happened, so I'm hoping that won't be the case this year... I'm debating calling in and making sure my prereqs were accepted. What do u guys think?

CAP is hard to tell, I felt good about it but its difficult to gauge what they're looking for.

Best of luck to you all, you all have worked very hard and I know you deserve it! Keep your heads high

What was the mistake you made? Really hoping I didn't make one with mine :P

Archived