Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2013

Wow congrats!! I'm totally jealous. Lol. Mind sharing your background experience? :)

I don't have a ton of experience, and actually have a totally random arts degree, but I think that in my essays I clearly described why I want to be an OT, and related the random life experiences I do have to OT.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to everyone who received some good news :)

I was stunned to get into McMaster PT. Especially with a GPA of 3.76. I had to read my acceptance email about 5 times before I could process it.

For everyone who was unsuccessful this time, I completely know how it feels. This was my third year applying!

applied: Dal, UofT, Queen's, Mac

accepted: UofT, Mac, Queen's (updated)

waitlisted: Dal

rejected: nowhere!!!

declining: Queen's for sure... Likely Mac

I haven't heard from Queen's, but won't be choosing that if I get in... When I first applied my first choice was Dal because it was farthest away (lol), but when I ranked my choices for decision making last week I put UofT first. And now I am all confused because I liked Mac after "researching" for the mmi... But I will likely go with UofT. Decide tomorrow.

I am soooooo relieved!! I am getting a treat for lunch, LOL.

Though now it is 3 am and I feel like I'll never sleep again.

Sorry and good luck to everyone who has been declined and waitlisted... I would be crying, and I feel somehow guilty!!!

Hang in there buddy. Last year I got rejected to every PT and OT program I applied to (UBC UoT UoA UWO queens Mac). It felt like the end of the world when I got my first rejection---I lost my balance at one point and walked into the wall and had a nose bleed mixed with tears. Lol. The rejection was good in some ways and allowed me to realize I was passionate about the field, and so I took a lot of extra courses to bring up my average. You have masters, right? Not sure if this is of interest to you, but UBC will include your grad studies coursework in determining GPA. Good luck to you!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting and don't give up!!

I concur! Dr_Scully don't think that way. Last year I applied to 9 PT schools (including many in Qc) and got rejected 9 for 9... Imagine how I felt. Went back to school, took many extra courses as independant student and trust me, when you have that fire under your @$$, you perform! I pumped out A+'s like its nobodys business and brought my gpa up by SO much! Don't give up. Its just a hurdle. If you're passionate about it, you'll shine through! Ps: if u haven't yet heard from queens its probably a good sign ;)

Congratulations to everyone who received some good news :)

I was stunned to get into McMaster PT. Especially with a GPA of 3.76. I had to read my acceptance email about 5 times before I could process it.

For everyone who was unsuccessful this time, I completely know how it feels. This was my third year applying!

So happy for u! I could for sure relate haha got in U of T with a 3.77! Congrats :)

So happy for u! I could for sure relate haha got in U of T with a 3.77! Congrats :)

Wow that's a feat! With GPA weighted so heavily..

U of T was my first choice so I was a little bummed to get my rejection letter (also did anyone else find it worded pretty harshly? McMaster OT rejected me more politely;) )

Applied: Western, Mac, U of T (all PT)

Accepted: Western :D

Waitlisted: Mac, U of T

Rejected:

sGPA: 3.89

Strength of Interviews: I knew my MMI at Mac didn't go smoothly, so I am surprised I even got on the waiting list. I was very pressed for time on the CAP exam, so I wasn't expecting good news there either

Strength of References: very strong (one was a prof who I knew for 2 years and the other was a PT working in a private clinic where I volunteered and helped with research)

Western has always been my first choice (did my undergrad there and I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else), so I am EXCITED! Got a little antsy and already accepted the offer. Congrats to everyone, and for those on the waitlists - keep your head up! Good luck with decisions everyone!

Applied: Mac OT/PT, U of T OT/PT, Queens PT

Accepted: Queens (PT), U of T (OT), Mac (OT)

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Mac (PT), U of T (PT)

GPA: 3.75 (last 2 years)

I'm going to be accepting the Queens PT offer. I decided that even if I didn't get into any PT programs I would decline the offers for the OT programs. I registered for this forum to let those waiting on the U of T and Mac OT spots that one will be opening up for you guys. I was really upset when I got rejected for the other PT programs, but this morning (after barely sleeping) I got my Queens PT offer at 7:13am. You guys are all too damn smart with your crazy GPA's! Good luck to everyone and I wish you all the best.

Applied: U of T (PT), McMaster (PT), Queens (PT), Western (PT)

Accepted: U of T :D , Queens

Wait listed: McMaster

Rejected: Western

sGPA: 3.77

It has been a crazy journey to get to this day!

I will most likely be accepting U of T, so for those of you waiting on the Queens list, another spot will open up for you soon!

Just got my last OT regret from Queens.

Congrats to everyone who got in..get out there and be the best you can be!

Looks like its time to get a job and apply again next year. I just hope the gpas dont stay super high again next time around. It kind of sucks that because I applied a year late I couldnt even land an interview. But I guess we'll see what happens in the next cycle.

Looks like its time to get a job and apply again next year. I just hope the gpas dont stay super high again next time around. It kind of sucks that because I applied a year late I couldnt even land an interview. But I guess we'll see what happens in the next cycle.

Best of luck to you in the future!!

@Dr_Scully:

I am in the same pool as you. I did get accepted to uOttawa, but I really didn't think that it would come to this.

Are you planning on going and upgraded courses? What have you done in the past?

And congrats everyone! :) The wait is finally over - time for some forward motion.

Applied: U of A, U of T, UWO, Queen's (all OT)

Accepted: U of A, U of T, UWO

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Queen's

cGPA: 3.93 subGPA: 3.94

The Queen's rejection feels kind of personal since my GPA was high haha. But I am super happy about UofT, UofA and UWO. No idea yet which I'm going to pick.

Good luck/congrats to everyone (:

@Dr_Scully:

I am in the same pool as you. I did get accepted to uOttawa, but I really didn't think that it would come to this.

Are you planning on going and upgraded courses? What have you done in the past?

And congrats everyone! :) The wait is finally over - time for some forward motion.

Congrats for ottawa!! Thats awesome!!

Thanks everyone for your kind words too.

@lauot: well im over 30, ive been to college, got my BSc and finishing my MSc now so i dont really plan on doing even more undergrad courses. I sort of dont want to go "backwards" after my masters. I just know i want to work in healthcare so now i need to figure out what im doing with my life. Ive applied to med since 2007 (4x) and i kept bombing the damn mcat haha... but ive looked into OT more now and its something i think i would love to do so i will probably just keep trying.

The guy at UofT specifically told me my app was stronger since i was expecting a masters so maybe my essay was the problem?? Looking at it again i guess it can use some more work to explain why i really want to be an OT.

Applied: UWO, McMaster, UFT, Queens (OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted: UWO and UFT

Rejected: McMaster and Queens

This is a sucky position to be in :( I really wanted to be accepted to mac and uft. I was wondering if any one got an email stating they are wait listed for mac for OT? Because last time for MMI interview, I got rejected first and then randomly for second offer they said you got accepted. I was wondering if that is what they may do for mac again for offers for OT. I really want to go to MAC! But congrats to every one who got in and good luck to those that are still waiting for a response or wait listed.

Applied: UBC, UWO, U of A, Queens (All OT)

Accepted: Queens

Waitlisted: None (potentially U of A)

Rejected: UBC and UWO

I was bummed by the 2 rejections but I am so over the moon about Queens!! And my boyfriend is super excited because we will get to dive shipwrecks all the time!! Even if I get into U of A, I will be declining because Queens is #1 for me!!!

Congrats to everyone!! And if you didn't get in, please don't give up! You have all demonstrated how amazing you are and I know good things are coming your way!

I got this email as well, that's it for me until next year. Here's hoping for the best next time around :)

Applied: UofA, UofT, UWO, Mac

Accepted: UofA, UofT, UWO

Rejected: Mac (didn't attend interview)

Waitlisted: nowhere

sGPA: 3.76 cGPA: 3.2

I am feeling very grateful for all of the offers, makes me feel like the hard work I put into school/ writing my essays all really paid off! To everyone waiting, good luck and don't give up if this is what you want to do, I wish I could choose someone on this forum to give my offers to!

I will be accepting UofA because it's closest to home here in BC, so that will open up a few more spots at western and UofT

I felt like my references were good, but not the best. They were from profs who I was in small classes with, so they were able to comment on my abilities fairly well.

I felt my essays were strong because I was fortunate to have been able to talk to a UofT graduate who gave me a rundown of what exactly they are looking for in the essays. She helped me proofread and gave me a lot of constructive criticism.

Applied: McGill PT; PT & OT @ UBC/UoT/Mac/Queens/UWO

Accepted: UBC PT, Queens OT

Rejected: all else

Waitlisted: UBC OT

GPA: 85.5% (UBC requirements: last 30 credits plus pre-reqs); cGPA 3.21

The interviews at UBC were tough, but fair. I think the key is to not act like you know everything and let your willingness to learn show in your answers. Yes, it's possible even with a dreaded MMI type question.

I've already accepted UBC PT's offer last month so I'll be declining Queens OT. This will free up another spot for those on the waitlist! Congrats to all who got offers! For those who didn't, hang in there and don't stop trying if you are truly passionate about this field. Best of luck!

Archived