Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2013

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know about renting in London for Western? What are the prices and what are good locations? And are they usually apartments or houses? Ideally I would like to get a place for myself. And when should I start looking?

Also, I'm from Toronto... if anyone has any questions about the neighbourhoods or how to get to school you can shoot them my way :)

I did ya! I graduated in 2009 though so I feel like I might be one of the older ones on this forum lol.

No, I think I take the cake for the oldest Victorian:) Just finished my second degree at UVic. My first was 2001:eek: :)

LOL wow, what are the chances... Which part you from ;) Im near markham.

Yeah I will need to look up on that. But I did see that only ~8 students from each university can apply to Toronto for placements.

Then what would we do during the hot summer days xD?

Haha I'm from the Guildwood/Morningside area (eastest part really...)

Yeah I really want a placement close to home. So. Much. Cheaper. Haha!

A lot of people buy ACs during the summer. And there are several facebook groups of QUeen's students selling their stuff and USUALLY there are quite a few fans and ACs posted for sale since most leases end April 30th for people. So you can get some pretty cheap stuff in April!

Applied: McGill, UOttawa, Queens, UWO, UofT, Mac (all for PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted: Queens (#28), Ottawa

Rejected: UWO,UofT, Mac

sGPA: 3.61

Did my interview for McGill last week and should be hearing back from them soon

SheepE and try:

Make sure you check out the Facebook group for incoming Queen's PT/OT.. Tons of housing offers going on right now.

I live on Pembroke and it's a great location. 800 inclusive for a 1-bedroom with parking (+Internet) and it's really not that bad. About 20min walk to all classes (on the other side of campus) and right on the bus route! Can catch a bus to downtown or campus from the top or bottom of my st every 15-30 mins. Also residential neighbourhood and close to the water and Lake Ontario park. Con: far from downtown, but I find the housing on this side of campus generally much nicer/cleaner/cheaper.

Also, if anyone wants tours or to meet people currently in the program just post on the group. A few people came from Sudbury this weekend to find housing and some rehabbers showed them around :)

THANKS! I appreciate it!

Hopefully they will continue to send out more good news for the rest of us.

9 30 am

Today

Congrats! That's awesome grad21. Were you on the waitlist? If you were, would you mind sharing what number? I'm on the waitlist as well, and it would be great to know how it's moving along. Thanks

Congrats! That's awesome grad21. Were you on the waitlist? If you were, would you mind sharing what number? I'm on the waitlist as well, and it would be great to know how it's moving along. Thanks

They didn't release my waitlist number when I asked. April 5th is the date I received my waitlist email

lol i told you it did ;) but too bad i didnt get it. wonder which lucky PT got it... Do you know when they will tell you about OGS? I need to get my hands on any sort of money LOL

TBH, I've been using google to search and it seems like its going to be ~$700 for something decent if you're living alone. Keep in mind that distance from the university will be a factor lol.

Are you looking for a roommate? ;)

Also, I don't know how this will work out but most places will require a 1 year agreement. I don't know if they start on September 1st to like Aug 31....

Yes I am! I'll PM you my e-mail address!

Hi everyone,

I firmly accepted my offer for Queen's PT program on ORPAS a week ago. I know it was processed by ORPAS, is that all the confirmation we will get? How do we know Queen's has received it and our spot is secured. I know I am being super paranoid but I don't want to have missed a step.

Thanks!

Applied (all for OT): Ottawa, Toronto, Western, Queens & McMaster

Accepted: Ottawa, Toronto & Queens

Wait-Listed: Western (lower third)

Rejected: McMaster (decided not to attend interview)

GPA: 3.60

Sub-GPA: 3.76

I applied to all of the ORPAS schools & also to the University of Ottawa. I've always studied in french & wanted to pursue graduate studies in French as well, so I accepted my offer at Ottawa U. However, due to my grades, I did not expect such a great outcome from the ORPAS schools. I have volunteered for the past 3 years at a local nursing home where I have helped a man who suffers from aphasia to regain his primary language skills thanks to speech therapy. My essays were fairly well written & I put a lot of thought into them, focusing on my life experiences & the values/morals that an ideal OT should have. I was able to get my essays reviewed by people working in the Writing Assistance office at my University, which really seemed to help.

Like I said, I really did not expect to get accepted into any of the ORPAS schools, so for those of you applying to OT in the future, don't underestimate your abilities & have confidence in your application! If you want it badly enough, you can make it happen!

Anyone know about renting in London for Western? What are the prices and what are good locations? And are they usually apartments or houses? Ideally I would like to get a place for myself. And when should I start looking?

Also, I'm from Toronto... if anyone has any questions about the neighbourhoods or how to get to school you can shoot them my way :)

Welcome to London!! I did my undergrad at western (and am going back for PT :D). I lived at Oxford and Warncliffe for 3 years (so I took the 2 Dundas bus to school) and it was honestly an amazing location as long as you don't mind a 6 minute bus ride. The 2 comes literally every 5 minutes, so it was very convenient. OT and PT programs are in Elborn College, which is on the side of campus closest to this area. My rent was $425/month, utilities included... It was a very small place, but very updated and nice (keep in mind that I had 4 roommates lol). That all being said, I would reccommend living on Western/Warncliffe because of the excellent bussing schedule. I don't really know how expensive single appartments are, but this area tends to be a bit cheaper than houses on Richmond (also a great bus schedule, but not as close to the side of campus with our building).

This year, I have been looking for places (going to see a few next week) around Sarnia and Wonderland, simply becuase they are SO close to our building and are decently priced... I am looking with a few girls I know and we have found a bunch under $500 (some with and some without utilities).

Anyways I hope this big jumble of nothing has helped a little lol If you have any more specific questions, I can try answer them for you :)

I emailed OT at U of T yesterday and this is their response:

"We do not anticipate making any further waiting list offers. However, we will keep the waiting list open until late-August.

Thank you for your continued interest."

:( :( :( :(

Archived