Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2013

Apparently we Victorians rocked the rehab applications this year! I'm off to Queens for OT :-)

Just wanted to pass my two cents for those moving to Toronto since I lived there for a year in 2 different areas (my 1st roommate was psychotic lol). The Annex is the best place to live if you're young and like pubs and more of a laid back feel. It has some hidden gems for restaurants and coffee shops too! The Danforth is a bit cheaper and is known for its Greek culture. You wouldn't be able to walk to school but the subway is fast and easy. If you end up living downtown like I did do your grocery shopping at St.Lawrence Market because it's amazing!! If you have any questions about my experience living there coming from the island feel free to PM me :-)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dabby- I have the opposite problem, I have furniture but its not worth dragging across the country so I have to look into something furnished (always questionable). Want a roomie to share that furniture with?:)

The areas that she suggested are Little Italy on college street-cool places to hang out, 15 minutes to the rehab sciences building by bike or street car.

Harbord street- like a mini victoria in Toronto.

This girl has lived in Little Italy, Parkdale,The Annex and Yorkville (just a heads up these places mean nothing to me I just copied her email)

I have also heard as long as you are anywhere close to the subway you are golden because its so easy, so I think that is going to be mainly what I look for.

Apparently we Victorians rocked the rehab applications this year! I'm off to Queens for OT :-)

Just wanted to pass my two cents for those moving to Toronto since I lived there for a year in 2 different areas (my 1st roommate was psychotic lol). The Annex is the best place to live if you're young and like pubs and more of a laid back feel. It has some hidden gems for restaurants and coffee shops too! The Danforth is a bit cheaper and is known for its Greek culture. You wouldn't be able to walk to school but the subway is fast and easy. If you end up living downtown like I did do your grocery shopping at St.Lawrence Market because it's amazing!! If you have any questions about my experience living there coming from the island feel free to PM me :-)

Because Victorians rock! Did you go to UVic?

Applied: UofA, UofT, UWO, Mac

Accepted: UofA, UofT, UWO

Rejected: Mac (didn't attend interview)

Waitlisted: nowhere

sGPA: 3.76 cGPA: 3.2

I am feeling very grateful for all of the offers, makes me feel like the hard work I put into school/ writing my essays all really paid off! To everyone waiting, good luck and don't give up if this is what you want to do, I wish I could choose someone on this forum to give my offers to!

I will be accepting UofA because it's closest to home here in BC, so that will open up a few more spots at western and UofT

I felt like my references were good, but not the best. They were from profs who I was in small classes with, so they were able to comment on my abilities fairly well.

I felt my essays were strong because I was fortunate to have been able to talk to a UofT graduate who gave me a rundown of what exactly they are looking for in the essays. She helped me proofread and gave me a lot of constructive criticism.

Hey,

Congrats on your offer! I was just wondering how did you get a grad student from uoft to help you out? Was it a friend or someone you just randomly met? Im applying for OT in the next year and would love to hear any advice you have!

Once again, congratulations :D

Dabby- I have the opposite problem, I have furniture but its not worth dragging across the country so I have to look into something furnished (always questionable). Want a roomie to share that furniture with?:)

The areas that she suggested are Little Italy on college street-cool places to hang out, 15 minutes to the rehab sciences building by bike or street car.

Harbord street- like a mini victoria in Toronto.

This girl has lived in Little Italy, Parkdale,The Annex and Yorkville (just a heads up these places mean nothing to me I just copied her email)

I have also heard as long as you are anywhere close to the subway you are golden because its so easy, so I think that is going to be mainly what I look for.

TBH, I think I am going to need to find roomies!! So anyone on here who wants to get in on that... haha.

Bachelors are going to be inaffordable, I've decided, even the cheapest ones are going to be $600+ and they are going to be gross pits, +Utilities. I need to do a bit more poking around, but it seems that 2+ bedrooms are way cheaper per person - could definitely find something for $500/person, maybe even less. It seems 2 or 3 would be a good number to look for a place. I'm trying not to get too stressed out about this yet, since pretty much everyone has told me it is just a biiiit soon to look for September 1st (and it's true, most of the stuff currently on craigslist is for June/July), but I can't help it, haha. I don't want to end up in a disgusting hole!!

All of those places she listed are pretty much in the area encircling Queen's park, little italy is a biiiiit farther out, but really not that much in the grand scheme of things. Pretty much anything within that area of Toronto is going to have lots of stuff going on. I used to live in North York, which is much farther out/about the same distance as Etobicoke, but was within walking distance of the York Mills subway and it was fine to get into downtown. I definitely DO NOT want to live that far now, I want to have the option to walk if I felt like it (even if it is a far walk, haha), but I think being within walking distance of a subway line is key! Especially for getting to placements and such.

Hey,

Congrats on your offer! I was just wondering how did you get a grad student from uoft to help you out? Was it a friend or someone you just randomly met? Im applying for OT in the next year and would love to hear any advice you have!

Once again, congratulations :D

Hi ScOT,

I actually randomly met this OT through volunteering at a mental health facility. She was also the volunteer coordinator, so we got to chatting and she told me she gradded from UofT, told me a bit about admissions etc. When I started writing my essays, I went out on a limb and asked her if she would proofread for me, and she said yes :). She was able to give great criticism, and told me specific things I was missing.

I know at UofT, the second year OT students read all of the essays, and grade them based on certain criteria, so if you can manage to get in touch with someone who has done this, it would probably help you a lot!

Good luck

Anyone else moving to Queens? I'm currently looking for a place to live and its mad expensive!

DEFINITELY make sure you come to look at any place before you rent... I know from personal experience that there are a ton of places that are ATTROCIOUS. I went to look at one that wasn't even THAT cheap ($450/month all inclusive) and it was an UNFINISHED basement room, with such a low ceiling that you couldn't even stand up in it, and HAD BLACK MOLD all over the walls. So yes, make sure you physically see it. Be especially wary if it is located north of Princess Street... there are some houses that are fine, but a LOT that are not fine. I had a friend who lived NoP and the police were in their neighbourhood every night for domestic disturbances.

I live on King St. E right now, it is a pretty neighbourhood/more safe feeling/nice houses around (though mine is only okay, haha) but rent is still steep. I haven't paid less than $550/month anywhere I've lived here, not including utilities... ugh, it's so hard to find a place to live here because many are so old, and most that are in the "student ghetto" are very dirty and poorly maintained, because landlords get away with **** that I am pretty sure is illegal since it is only ever students who live there.

DEFINITELY make sure you come to look at any place before you rent... I know from personal experience that there are a ton of places that are ATTROCIOUS. I went to look at one that wasn't even THAT cheap ($450/month all inclusive) and it was an UNFINISHED basement room, with such a low ceiling that you couldn't even stand up in it, and HAD BLACK MOLD all over the walls. So yes, make sure you physically see it. Be especially wary if it is located north of Princess Street... there are some houses that are fine, but a LOT that are not fine. I had a friend who lived NoP and the police were in their neighbourhood every night for domestic disturbances.

I live on King St. E right now, it is a pretty neighbourhood/more safe feeling/nice houses around (though mine is only okay, haha) but rent is still steep. I haven't paid less than $550/month anywhere I've lived here, not including utilities... ugh, it's so hard to find a place to live here because many are so old, and most that are in the "student ghetto" are very dirty and poorly maintained, because landlords get away with **** that I am pretty sure is illegal since it is only ever students who live there.

Thanks for the info! I do plan to physically check the place first before moving in. Do you have any recommendations as to how i should be looking?

I will probably be living by myself. But I have yet found a place that is less than $650 on the internet. How did you find a $550 place? I found a few apartments and they seem decent.

Anyone else moving to Queens? I'm currently looking for a place to live and its mad expensive!

Congrats SheepE on being accepted to Queen's PT! I guess that scholarship letter did mean something :P. I need to start looking for a place asap as well, I really hope it isn't too expensive! What is the price range that you are seeing for something decent?

I gradded in 2011, not too far behind ya

I graduated in 2011 from UVic also!

I know housing in Toronto is super expensive, but how about Hamilton? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding places to live/avoid? I was thinking of leaving mid August and trying to find a place. But when I type it it sounds crazy. Considering all of the people who are looking for places at that time. I also don't know where to stay while looking for apartments. I don't want to have to stay at a hotel for 2+ weeks while looking for a place!

Congrats SheepE on being accepted to Queen's PT! I guess that scholarship letter did mean something :P. I need to start looking for a place asap as well, I really hope it isn't too expensive! What is the price range that you are seeing for something decent?

lol i told you it did ;) but too bad i didnt get it. wonder which lucky PT got it... Do you know when they will tell you about OGS? I need to get my hands on any sort of money LOL

TBH, I've been using google to search and it seems like its going to be ~$700 for something decent if you're living alone. Keep in mind that distance from the university will be a factor lol.

Are you looking for a roommate? ;)

Also, I don't know how this will work out but most places will require a 1 year agreement. I don't know if they start on September 1st to like Aug 31....

Thanks for the info! I do plan to physically check the place first before moving in. Do you have any recommendations as to how i should be looking?

I will probably be living by myself. But I have yet found a place that is less than $650 on the internet. How did you find a $550 place? I found a few apartments and they seem decent.

Finding a place in Kingston is hard. I lucked out last year and found a place that's $320 a month minus utilites but water included. It was right at Barrie and Union (RIDICULOUSLY close to campus). It had its fair share of problems but none dire. But that was purely luck. (except I found out I got into Queen's after I could resign the lease so I've lost that amazing place :( )

Check out the rental listings posted on the Queen's housing page: housing.queensu.ca. Kijiji is sketch but useful. Most of the ones listed at the moment are really far (I'm currently looking as well). The housing listing is generally more legit. But if you actually want a NICE place, you're not really going to luck out for less than $650.

Rule of thumb with Queen's housing is pick 2: (1) close to campus (2) affordable (3) nice.

Finding a place in Kingston is hard. I lucked out last year and found a place that's $320 a month minus utilites but water included. It was right at Barrie and Union (RIDICULOUSLY close to campus). It had its fair share of problems but none dire. But that was purely luck. (except I found out I got into Queen's after I could resign the lease so I've lost that amazing place :( )

Check out the rental listings posted on the Queen's housing page: housing.queensu.ca. Kijiji is sketch but useful. Most of the ones listed at the moment are really far (I'm currently looking as well). The housing listing is generally more legit. But if you actually want a NICE place, you're not really going to luck out for less than $650.

Rule of thumb with Queen's housing is pick 2: (1) close to campus (2) affordable (3) nice.

Where would you recommend if I would choose (2) affordable (3) nice xD. I will probably be bringing my car with me... So close to campus isn't really an issue...

Since we will be having placements, what will you guys be doing while you're at your placements if its far from where you live?

Also, does anyone know how parking works at Queens?

Where would you recommend if I would choose (2) affordable (3) nice xD. I will probably be bringing my car with me... So close to campus isn't really an issue...

Since we will be having placements, what will you guys be doing while you're at your placements if its far from where you live?

Also, does anyone know how parking works at Queens?

I'm hoping to get a placement as far west as possible so I can live at home (and not have to pay for food :P) HOPEFULLY. But if not, I'll likely have a car.

If you want a cheap nice place, I'd recommend looking north of Princess St. Basically any postal code NOT in the K7L range (so K7K or K7M). K7L generally means close to campus and therefore prices are hiked up unless you're super lucky.

Parking in Kingston is a big pain. So when you're looking for housing, look for one with parking included. Unfortunately, Queen's hands out a number of parking passes but it's really hard to get and it's quite competitive--I'm not sure of the system to get one, first-come, first-serve I'm thinking but some have requested them already. Parking on campus during the day costs about $60 a month. BUT if you don't mind taking the bus, as a Queen's student, transit is FREE with your student card. Buses run every 15-30 mins during the day depending on which bus you take and every hour after 7. Unlike the TTC, Kingston transit is notorious for being on time so that's faaairly reliable. Also, since we're only really going to have class 8 weeks on, 8 weeks off after first term, transit for a short while might not really matter. But as a Queen's undergrad, I'm spoiled and would much rather be in walking distance. :P

But if you live north of princess, you can likely get a nice place for about 550-600 if you're meticulously searching, and the walk to campus is about 20-30 mins depending on where you live.

The Queen's housing service is a good call, because at least the landlords in the community housing are accountable to some extent.

https://listingservice.housing.queensu.ca/index.php/rental/rentalsearch/action/results_list/

It will definitely be much cheaper to live with someone rather than on your own - I live with my sister right now in part of the queen's community housing. It has it's own problems but is nice enough and in a nice area. We pay $584 each/month and it is all inclusive (except for internet, plus I pay $60/month for parking). I paid $600/month for 2 rooms in a house (bedroom + office) on bagot street (shared kitchen and bathrooms) and utilities were NOT included and came to like $550/month during the winter ON TOP of rent (all of the additional expenses including internet but no cable) split 4 ways, so still insane.

AND YES, PARKING IS A NIGHTMARE.

I'm hoping to get a placement as far west as possible so I can live at home (and not have to pay for food :P) HOPEFULLY. But if not, I'll likely have a car.

If you want a cheap nice place, I'd recommend looking north of Princess St. Basically any postal code NOT in the K7L range (so K7K or K7M). K7L generally means close to campus and therefore prices are hiked up unless you're super lucky.

Parking in Kingston is a big pain. So when you're looking for housing, look for one with parking included. Unfortunately, Queen's hands out a number of parking passes but it's really hard to get and it's quite competitive--I'm not sure of the system to get one, first-come, first-serve I'm thinking but some have requested them already. Parking on campus during the day costs about $60 a month. BUT if you don't mind taking the bus, as a Queen's student, transit is FREE with your student card. Buses run every 15-30 mins during the day depending on which bus you take and every hour after 7. Unlike the TTC, Kingston transit is notorious for being on time so that's faaairly reliable. Also, since we're only really going to have class 8 weeks on, 8 weeks off after first term, transit for a short while might not really matter. But as a Queen's undergrad, I'm spoiled and would much rather be in walking distance. :P

But if you live north of princess, you can likely get a nice place for about 550-600 if you're meticulously searching, and the walk to campus is about 20-30 mins depending on where you live.

I'm in the same boat as you. I live in Scarborough and would probably want a placement in Ajax or something... Does anyone know how placements works? I read somewhere that you choose which catchment you want but you cant choose TWO at once.. So if you choose to go with Toronto's placement, then you can't choose Queen's placement. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, I think its like $90 a month for parking... But if I can find a nice place that's far from campus, I will need to drive.

Damn, can't believe searching for a place to live can be such a hassle. Do you guys normally bargain with the landlord? And is AC usually not included?

I'm in the same boat as you. I live in Scarborough and would probably want a placement in Ajax or something... Does anyone know how placements works? I read somewhere that you choose which catchment you want but you cant choose TWO at once.. So if you choose to go with Toronto's placement, then you can't choose Queen's placement. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, I think its like $90 a month for parking... But if I can find a nice place that's far from campus, I will need to drive.

Damn, can't believe searching for a place to live can be such a hassle. Do you guys normally bargain with the landlord? And is AC usually not included?

Oh HAI! I'm from Scarborough too!! Haha

I think they said something like you choose your top 5 cachements and then it's by luck? I'm not too sure. I'm going to read up on that.

A/C is almost NEVER included in places under $600. And depending on who the landlord is, bargaining may be possible. However, if you happen by sooome landlords (*cough* D Dean), then don't bargain. Some expect references too.

Oh HAI! I'm from Scarborough too!! Haha

I think they said something like you choose your top 5 cachements and then it's by luck? I'm not too sure. I'm going to read up on that.

A/C is almost NEVER included in places under $600. And depending on who the landlord is, bargaining may be possible. However, if you happen by sooome landlords (*cough* D Dean), then don't bargain. Some expect references too.

LOL wow, what are the chances... Which part you from ;) Im near markham.

Yeah I will need to look up on that. But I did see that only ~8 students from each university can apply to Toronto for placements.

Then what would we do during the hot summer days xD?

Archived