• Last Reply

Applied: OT/PT UT, UWO, Queen's, Mac, Dal, U of A

Accepted: Queen's OT

Waitlisted: none

Rejected: everywhere else

Haven't heard back from U of A

cGPA: 3.24 sGPA: ~3.37

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Essay: Clearly my essay was really good since I have a terrible GPA (but my final year marks were quite high). Talked about my personal experiences with OT and insights from volunteering. Interestingly, Queen's accepted me (to my ENORMOUS surprise) probably because of my essay and they like variety (I have an undergraduate degree in History--nothing science related). I have a lot of volunteer experience particularly concentrated on the past year and not much beforehand. I think what they found appealing was when I talked about the experiences of families and mental health, particularly on seniors and children, and how I personally gained a better understanding of the needs of the Canadian healthcare system by volunteering. I had some ECs but not many because I needed to work to stay in school. This past year, I had 3 ECs and volunteered at 2 hospitals and worked at a museum.

Interviews: none.

References: Great references, all academic from 3 History profs that I've had close contact with through seminars and 1 who wrote a glowing letter but she's a teaching fellow.

GOING TO QUEEN'S FOR OT! WOO! SO EXCITED!

Just wrote on this forum primarily to give hope to those who don't necessarily have the highest GPA that they can get into OT with a lot of determination and hard work. Queen's seems to be very sympathetic to students who are well-rounded who may have lapsed academically at some point. If any of you are from a strange academic background and want some insight into your application for next year for OT, feel free to PM me! :)

OH P.S. OT at U of T was my first choice by the way. But c'est la vie.

Just got my last OT regret from Queens.

Congrats to everyone who got in..get out there and be the best you can be!

Looks like its time to get a job and apply again next year. I just hope the gpas dont stay super high again next time around. It kind of sucks that because I applied a year late I couldnt even land an interview. But I guess we'll see what happens in the next cycle.

Hang in there! I really encourage you to try next year!! I had a pretty low GPA (3.2-3.3) and managed to get into Queen's OT this year. Just volunteer a lot and show passion in your essays and I'm sure you'll get in next year! :)

applied: UBC and U of A OT

accepted:

waitlisted: UBC (I believe I am 10th right now)

rejected:

havent heard anything from u of a.

i will go anywhere that accepts me. hoping for waitlist movement!!

How'd you find out wait list rank?

Applied: U of A OT, Queens OT

Accepted: U of A OT, Queens OT

Both cum GPA and sub GPA in the high 3.6 to low 3.7 range.

I have work experience in research and program evaluation; and volunteer experience in mental health, sport for persons with disabilities and event management.

Good luck to everyone on the wait-list.

As an aside, it's never too late to alter the path of your career and never too late to return to school. If needed get relevant work and volunteer experience and then return to school. Waiting to do your Masters isn't necessarily as bad as it may seem; it will allow you time to save funds for school and experience what it feels like to have income rather than debt.

Cheers

UBC sends an email telling you of your waitlist placement with your number on it. I found out I had moved down 2 spots to 10th because of this forum. Apparently if you call and ask they are more then happy to tell you about any movement as well!

UBC sends an email telling you of your waitlist placement with your number on it. I found out I had moved down 2 spots to 10th because of this forum. Apparently if you call and ask they are more then happy to tell you about any movement as well!

I was hoping they would do this for ubc pt as well. They don't. Does anyone know why? Is transparency a bad thing?

Hang in there! I really encourage you to try next year!! I had a pretty low GPA (3.2-3.3) and managed to get into Queen's OT this year. Just volunteer a lot and show passion in your essays and I'm sure you'll get in next year! :)

Do you mind my asking what you touched upon in your essays, because it seems we were all rather close in terms of GPA - so I can't help but wonder what it was I missed on the other parts of my application?

Congratulations on your acceptance :)

Do you mind my asking what you touched upon in your essays, because it seems we were all rather close in terms of GPA - so I can't help but wonder what it was I missed on the other parts of my application?

Congratulations on your acceptance :)

Honestly, I'm not too sure how I got in. I have a history background with a few science courses but nothing more than that.

In my trends in OT essay, I talked about Canada's aging population and growing rates of mental health. Particularly emphasized OTs' new role of addressing increasingly diagnosed children with developmental problems (particularly autism) and how the profession has expanded beyond its original depth to address larger concerns with developmental health in addition to presupposed physical and geriatric health issues.

I don't have that many experiences that I could embellish on in my personal statement but with what I did have, rather than listing what I did, I outlined what I learned through those experiences in a broader context (i.e. the personal struggles of families and the need for OTs to play a dual role as healthcare provider and emotional supporter). Volunteered at two hospitals (just this past year--not longer than that) and didn't have much other experience since I had to support myself financially throughout undergrad and therefore worked moreso than volunteered/gained career experience. Talked about the importance of morale and a positive attitude in treatment and the effects on patients I did encounter during volunteering. Moreover, to make up for my random degree, I talked about its relevance in healthcare and how it gives me a broader, nonlinear perspective on the healthcare network.

Not sure if that's what did the trick but apparently it struck a chord with the Queen's admission committee! Hope this helps! Good luck next year!

What school are you going to choose Skier_Chic?

It's 99% U of A at the moment which should open up a Queens OT spot. It's a tough call because my family is in central Ontario but my life has been in Calgary for the last six years. Such is life I guess, always tough decisions to make.

Honestly, I'm not too sure how I got in. I have a history background with a few science courses but nothing more than that.

In my trends in OT essay, I talked about Canada's aging population and growing rates of mental health. Particularly emphasized OTs' new role of addressing increasingly diagnosed children with developmental problems (particularly autism) and how the profession has expanded beyond its original depth to address larger concerns with developmental health in addition to presupposed physical and geriatric health issues.

I don't have that many experiences that I could embellish on in my personal statement but with what I did have, rather than listing what I did, I outlined what I learned through those experiences in a broader context (i.e. the personal struggles of families and the need for OTs to play a dual role as healthcare provider and emotional supporter). Volunteered at two hospitals (just this past year--not longer than that) and didn't have much other experience since I had to support myself financially throughout undergrad and therefore worked moreso than volunteered/gained career experience. Talked about the importance of morale and a positive attitude in treatment and the effects on patients I did encounter during volunteering. Moreover, to make up for my random degree, I talked about its relevance in healthcare and how it gives me a broader, nonlinear perspective on the healthcare network.

Not sure if that's what did the trick but apparently it struck a chord with the Queen's admission committee! Hope this helps! Good luck next year!

Thank you, yes this is really helpful. Good luck with the program :)

My GPA was quite low and I thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere (cGPA was only 3.12 and sGPA was 3.61). I didn't find that my written submissions were THAT amazingly written (not a writer over here, I did only two legitimate essays in my entire undergrad) - and my only volunteer experience is what I have done since September... it probably only works out to 40-50 hours though.

I honestly think that what it came down to for me is that I was a bit older and had experience working in a career job (3+ years), life experiences counts for a lot - not to mention that I think my background actually can bring a unique perspective to working as an OT (we study ergonomics in the context of design, you can draw the connections).

I think what they want to see is diversity - I almost think it is better to have some completely random courses and interests highlighted that shows you are well rounded/unique and different from other candidates, and also show how you can apply these seemingly unrelated subjects and experiences to OT.

Based on the reaction of every single interviewer in the McMaster MMI whenever I said "my undergrad is in Industrial Design" and explained what it was (seriously tried to tie that experience into every question, because that was all I had!!), I feel pretty convinced that the uniqueness of that degree v.s. a science or health-related degree is the reason I got in places, haha. Every school writes somewhere that they take a multidisciplinary approach and the importance of diverse health care teams, so they would be looking to have as much diversity in backgrounds as possible! Makes sense too that vj9's history degree would actually work in their favour if that is the case.

I mean, I know I am not on an admissions committee... but this makes sense to me, so I think if you were unsuccessful this time around despite having a strong GPA and lots of volunteer experience, the thing to do before applying again would be to get some experience doing something totally different that will stand out in an admissions essay, but that you can still find a way to tie some of the skills from that experience back to OT or PT.

Example: I also used the fact that I was a tour guide/educational program leader for school groups to show how I liked working with people and was good interacting with people who I didn't necessarily know well. I also used my boss from the tour guide job as a reference instead of my volunteer supervisor... it felt risky at the time, but obviously paid off.

I think things like that, and the things outside of those experiences that are directly related to OT/healthcare/sciences really help to show your personality more, and really help you to seem "different" in the application process with thousands of other applicants. Provided you already have all of the other stuff you know they are looking for!

Just accepted U of T OT so a spot @ Mac will open up! Gluck everyone!!

Hey I have spent the past 4 days up to my nose in Pro Con lists over Mac, Queens, Western and U of T. I think I finally landed on U of T!! Do you mind me asking why you chose it over Mac?

Hey I have spent the past 4 days up to my nose in Pro Con lists over Mac, Queens, Western and U of T. I think I finally landed on U of T!! Do you mind me asking why you chose it over Mac?

Firstly because of the location, I'll be living in Toronto and commuting to Hamilton is just not ideal for me. But also, although PBL sounds cool and an interesting way of learning, I've never learnt that way or experienced it and I just don't know if I'll like it. It's too risky for me in that way and I like the good old traditional style of learning - U of T!

Firstly because of the location, I'll be living in Toronto and commuting to Hamilton is just not ideal for me. But also, although PBL sounds cool and an interesting way of learning, I've never learnt that way or experienced it and I just don't know if I'll like it. It's too risky for me in that way and I like the good old traditional style of learning - U of T!

That is exactly how I am feeling about Mac too, I'll be coming from Victoria so it will be an exciting move to Toronto. I think Toronto has a lot to offer. Thanks for the info.

That is exactly how I am feeling about Mac too, I'll be coming from Victoria so it will be an exciting move to Toronto. I think Toronto has a lot to offer. Thanks for the info.

I'll be coming from Victoria also! To McMaster though for PT. What's your plan for finding an apartment? I'm a little nervous about that.

I'll be coming from Victoria also! To McMaster though for PT. What's your plan for finding an apartment? I'm a little nervous about that.

It is a bit stressfull! One of my profs put me in touch with a girl who gradded from OT at U of T so she pointed me in the direction of good neighbourhoods and even offered to connect me with one of her old landlords. It actually depends a bit too if my boyfriend will be coming with me or not. If I am moving alone I will most likely look for roomates as it is expensive to live alone. What is your plan??

Eee! I am freaking out about the living situation also and I am currently in Kingston, not anywhere as far as Victoria!

Obviously it would be ideal to live by yourself, but Toronto is SOO expensive I don't if it's affordable at all.

My problem is I have been able to accumulate some living room furniture in addition to my bedroom set and I don't want to have to get rid of anything I like, LOL. I also want to be able to fit my queen sized bed!!

KSpreeuw: WHat neighbourhoods did she recommend? I assume anything on a subway line will make it easy enough to get into school... U of T is really RIGHT in the prime real estate area of Toronto so to live within walking distance would cost big bucks (even more big bucks?... Idk, anywhere you would want to live is going to be pretty expensive!)!

I am planning to go to Toronto to stay at a friends place in the first week of July to find a place (I was recommended that was the best time to look for September 1st), basically I want to be ready to sign a lease that weekend! But I'm still not sure if I want to go through the stress of trying to find a bachelor apt... very competitive... Or if I want to try and find roomates who are in need of some living room furniture (LOL, I am the worst, the furniture isn't even that good... but it's expensive to replace none the less).

Archived