Premed 101 Forums

NOSM 2013 Admissions Statistics

Hey Everyone.

Please use this thread for posting stats. Please try to keep discussion in the other thread. It'll make it easier for people to quickly scan the numbers.

General format:

Offer: Congratulations/Waitlisted (rank)/Regrets

Accept or decline offer of admission?

If accept, what campus?

GPA:

Context:

Comments:

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to reading everyone's happy news!!!

Waitlist - #2

Time stamp: 8:05 am

Hoping for Sudbury Campus

GPA - 3.8

undergraad - Health Promo, working on Masters

Grew up in NO

Some research, lots of volunteer

Excited but watching like a hawk for those to first people who say they will decline!!!!

Accepted!!!

Thunder Bay Campus

Time Stamp: 8:38 am

cGPA- 3.99

wGPA- 4.00

MCAT- 30Q (9P, 9V, 12 B)

ECs- coaching, leadership, some research, athletics, tutoring

Essay- thought they were good, spent quite a bit of time on them

In 4th year of UG for HBSc

So excited! This is an amazing day!

Accepted: NOSM

Waitlisted: Ottawa (good), Toronto

Applied: McMaster, Queens, Ottawa, Toronto, NOSM

Interviews: Ottawa, Toronto, NOSM

Rejected: McMaster, Queens

Waitlist - #73

Time stamp: 8:35 am

WGPA - 3.85

Context: Rural, non-northern

ECs: See previous posts

Well, at least it's an improvement from last year :D Congrats to all those who are accepted and best of luck to those with high chance wait list spots!

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted! Have some fun this summer because you're in for a busy upcoming year! For those of you waitlisted good luck! and for those of you who weren't as lucky, try again next year! Most of us at NOSM didn't get in on our first try ;)

Those that were accepted, join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NOSMMeds17/

to get your questions answered by upper years and get awesome advice. I learned a lot from it when I was accepted last year!

Holy ****

Accepted!

Thunder Bay

GPA 3.82ish

Context: born in t-bay, lived away for uni, moved back ~1.5 years ago

I seriously thought I had zero chance. Decent gpa and context/application/ECs but I thought my interview was crap.

Congrats to everyone!

Waitlist - #73

Time stamp: 8:35 am

WGPA - 3.85

Context: Rural, non-northern

ECs: See previous posts

Well, at least it's an improvement from last year :D Congrats to all those who are accepted and best of luck to those with high chance wait list spots!

:( .... :(

Offer: Waitlisted #11 on May 14, Accepted May 28 at 8:55 am to West Campus

Accept or decline offer of admission: will be accepting with request to transfer to East

If accept, what campus? Either

GPA: 3.74 (MSc)

Context: Born, northern manitoba (7 years), Gr. 4-13 Sudbury

Comments: Non-trad, lots of research (5+ pubs and national presentations), volunteer (food bank, charity road races, community garden to grow fresh produce to donate to food bank, conferences etc...), professional designation (RD)

Accepted!! T-Bay

Time stamp:8:51

cGPA: 3.83

Context: lived in a small town in MB until 7 then Wpg until 5 years ago when I moved to Petawawa. Although some rural living, no Northern Ontario and high school in Wpg so probably not a great context score I'm sure which may offer hope to others.

Interview: I thought it went well.

I will be declining this offer in favour of Mac. It's a really tough choice but logistically Mac works better for my family. Good luck to all those on the wait list!

Offer: Waitlisted #72

Time Stamp: 8:25am

cGPA: 3.95 NOSM calculation

Context: Not the best... grew up in rural ontario but not northern. 6 years in Thunder Bay

Comments: Will try again next year...congrats to all of you who were accepted and good luck to the high ranked waitlisters!

Offer!

Accepting @ Sudbury campus

GPA: 3.72

Context: In NO since the age of 4; Francophone applicant; mature student (35 yrs old); much volunteering over many years in my community; experience with First Nations populations; etc.

UG: Psychology - Lakehead U - completed via DE while residing in a small community (pop approx 8000); Dean Braun Award, First Class Standing

Comments: #26 on the wait list last year, but my application greatly improved since. Never give up! :)

Offer: Waitlisted #6

Definitely accept offer if and when it comes around as it was my only application. Have no interest in pursuing medicine down south.

If accept, what campus? I would prefer Sudbury, as I am living in Sudbury

GPA: 3.67, Health promo grad, finishing master thesis this summer (biomechanics).

Context: Lived in multiple places up north as a kid, parents currently live in Moonbeam. EC's: lots of sports (hockey and baseball especially), volunteer tutor, shadowed family doc, work with First Nations activity centre....

Comments: Felt awesome coming out of the interview... I felt like I bombed one question, did ok on two but the felt great about the rest of the questions. I came out feeling extremely good about my performance, but as days went by I doubted my performance. All in all, I'm assuming there is one declined so far, which means I should be down to #5... hope to see an acceptance letter!

Accepted!!! Thunder Bay

4th year applicant

cGPA: 3.82

ECs: First Responder, high- level charity involvement, shadowing and coaching among others.

Context: Thunder Bay born and raised, went to S ON for university but came back each summer and many of my most impactful ECs are here.

Interview: Thought it was very weird, but not awful. Regardless it must have been fine :D

I will likely turn down NOSM, but plan on just enjoying the moment for now and making a decision next week. I will make sure to let those on the waitlist know as soon as I come to a decision.

Offer: Congratulations... was originally 3rd on the wait list

I will be ACCEPTING

Thunder Bay (it was my preferred choice)

GPA: 3.82 (was 3.80 when I applied)

Context: I am from NWO (Kenora) and attended Lakehead University

Comments: I am graduating from Kinesiology at Lakehead University at the end of the month. I left the interview having no clue what to think. Those still on the wait list, keep your head up! The list is slowly moving!

Archived