Premed 101 Forums

Decision making as a physician

Hi guys,

Just wondering how many of you think really carefully about the smallest decision and take your time with it? is this a deal breaker in deciding whether to become a physician or not? Are we expected to make flash decisions about life and death matters as doctors? Please share any thoughts.

Thanks!

I don't get it.

Some decisions are "smaller" than others. Two doctors might use different bore needles for a similar injection. Not a big deal. No right answer some times. Can't get bent out of shape on stuff like that, just know some good practices and do what you think is right.

Other decisions are huge. Get the dose wrong and kill your patient.

Are we expected to make flash decisions? Sometimes. It depends on your scope of practice. Family docs in office don't have to make a lot of flash decisions but they still have to be able to recognize if someone they see is actually really sick and how to respond. Emerg docs can do it all day/night.

I don't know what you mean by "deal breaker in deciding whether to become a physician or not?" Are you afraid you are not careful enough? I bet every prospective physician (myself included) wonders this. Just gotta keep reading, seeing patients building experience, talking to colleagues, going to conferences, and learning.

I don't get it.

Some decisions are "smaller" than others. Two doctors might use different bore needles for a similar injection. Not a big deal. No right answer some times. Can't get bent out of shape on stuff like that, just know some good practices and do what you think is right.

Other decisions are huge. Get the dose wrong and kill your patient.

Are we expected to make flash decisions? Sometimes. It depends on your scope of practice. Family docs in office don't have to make a lot of flash decisions but they still have to be able to recognize if someone they see is actually really sick and how to respond. Emerg docs can do it all day/night.

I don't know what you mean by "deal breaker in deciding whether to become a physician or not?" Are you afraid you are not careful enough? I bet every prospective physician (myself included) wonders this. Just gotta keep reading, seeing patients building experience, talking to colleagues, going to conferences, and learning.

Thank you for replying. Yes this is what I meant. I find myself taking too much time (being too careful) to decide for everything, for example, I can't decide whether I should get a mac book pro with or without a super drive for reading DVD's for when I start med school this fall. This happens with many things in my life so it made me think if this will make me incapable of making important decisions as a physician, which means that I may not be a successful doctor, and that I made a huge mistake by pursuing a career in medicine. So should this determine whether I continue my enrollment in medical school or not?

No I don't think so. I tend to be indecisive about menus and the like, but I'd say that triviality breeds indecisiveness, whereas pressure of time and circumstance allows for quicker, clearer action.

In any case, one of the satisfying parts of medicine is being able to make clear decisions even based on limited information.

In many aspects of medicine indecisiveness seems to be standard, don't worry about it.

Surgical trainees consistently hear the mantra "MD stands for Make a Decision". The counter to that is my favourite saying about my colleagues and myself, I guess "Orthopaedic surgeons - never in doubt, often correct".

Archived